Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!

How can I tell???

I ordered the 1" poly webbing from Strapworks but am wondering if I received nylon instead. Slept out side the other night and woke much closer to the ground than I started. I use the ring system backed up with a half hitch.. I've used the same set up inside w/out any issue (so I thought).
    I'm sleeping out side tonight (in the rain) and will double check every thing before I retire to see if it happens again. Oh...double ENO is the hammock.

So my question is...is there any way I can tell, by look or feel, if I received nylon webbing instead of poly? The webbing is rather limp and slippery feeling but holds well in the rings.

I looked for 'burn test' on the internets and found many results. There was a link here someplace but I no longer have it in my favorites.

http://www.fabrics.net/fabricsr.asp

TWS

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you used the same straps indoors without incident then I would suspect the straps are ok. Was the span outside longer than the span inside? If so did you hang the hammock attachment points higher? The longer the span the higher the attachments need to be.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Ramvlinrev - Hang in/outside was about the same but out side is tighter/more horizontal than inside as the inside hang was from 9' high exposed beams. The burn test that T-Dubs mentioned looks interesting and will be conducted tomorrow after the rain stops. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    Ramvlinrev - Hang in/outside was about the same but out side is tighter/more horizontal than inside as the inside hang was from 9' high exposed beams. The burn test that T-Dubs mentioned looks interesting and will be conducted tomorrow after the rain stops. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Empahsis added....

There's the solution. The tighter and more horizontal you are the more initial sag you get upon loading the hammock. I can't understand the math involved but there are numerous postings by the resident mathletes that explain it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    There's the solution. The tighter and more horizontal you are the more initial sag you get upon loading the hammock. I can't understand the math involved but there are numerous postings by the resident mathletes that explain it.
    Yep! I agree. The tighter the hang, the more substantial the drop.

Want to know if it's nylon or poly then the burn test is by far the easiest. Once you know what they smell like, it's cake to tell them apart. I never go to an outfitter without a lighter. Nest and I confused more than a few store employees along the trail by asking if we could have a small piece to burn. I think a couple of them thought we were smoking it.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts