Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Finally legit, eh? SemperFiGuy has a good ring to it! I was a Navy tactical air controller (TACRON 1) & some of the guys in my squadron were Marine pilots. A USMC Major who drove A-6s, and an Army Ranger chopper driver (also a Major) became 2 of my best friends, even though the 'Os' & 'Es' were not supposed to be frat brothers. They both started their military careers as enlisted grunts in Nam & opted to go to OCS to get off of the jungle floor. Also spent my FAC training time with a couple of RECON units while I was in the Phillipine jungles. So, I was an 'honorary Marine' for a total of 6 weeks! With that kind of experience, I should be able to get along quite well with ya....for a "squid"!! LMAO
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Hey now! keep that squid comment to yourself, or this bubblehead may get involved in the discussion!

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    Hey now! keep that squid comment to yourself, or this bubblehead may get involved in the discussion!
    Y'know....I was never assigned to a ship (always TAD to Admiral's Staff), except for stuff like trips to the western Pacific or shakedown cruises. But when I came off of those 2 TAC training trips, I looked pretty ragged after 3 weeks in the jungle. After the 1st, I had to muster topside with my squadron (16 of us) & one ship's company Ensign actually walked up to me & questioned why I was out of ranks......I told him I was with my unit & he thought I was a "Snipe" from the bilge rat brigade!!! From that day forward, the ship's company guys who knew me nicknamed me "The AirSnipe"!! I still smile when I think of that greenhorn Ensign & what I was able to do to him when he had to go through our "Shellback" initiation when he crossed the equator for the 1st time! Great memories!
    Last edited by tri-pod bob; 11-19-2013 at 06:01.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Tri-Pod,

Yeah, finally a legit Forum name. I don't know what I was thinking when I registered. (Or wasn't thinking). In any event, Tim did a herculean job getting me legitimized.

I don't mean to stay off topic, so this will be my last post here about the service. After this, we'll start a separate thread in the Off Topics secton if necessary. Thanks for the Moderator's one time indulgence.

I have nothing but respect for Sailors. If you think about the History of the Navy and the History of the Corps, they parallel each other in terms of effectiveness. If it wasn't for the Navy, the Marine Corps would not be able to claim "on the air, the land and sea......."

I am one of three Marines in our family. My dad was an old Mustanger. Spent 23 years in and retired as a Lt. Col. I was next, six years total enlistment. Got out but should have stayed in. My wife at the time wasn't cut out for the life and I gave it up. My number one son just retired last year. Another Mustanger. He wen in during Desert Storm, spent his 23 years and retired as a Major. We all have the same name. My Dad, then me as Junior and my son as the III.

Remind me at the Nor'Easter to tell you an ironic story about my Dad and my Grandson. (He's the IV by the way.). We've already told him that if he doesn't go in the Marine Corps, we're changing his name to anything other than ours.

Anyway, a great Forum with great people. Look forward to the Winter Hang. Should be a blast.

My son by the way was with the 3 MAW out of El Toro when he went over to Desert Storm in the early 1990's.

Ironically My Dad, me, and my son were all in the S-2 shop. I keep telling them that Intel in the USMC is an oxymoron, but no one seems to listen. Just kidding. It's the real deal. Best boots on the ground intel you can imagine.

All the best!
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Country, Cosmic, Tri-Pod, Nitehauk, GG76(Frank), Raif, and all Western Mass Hangers.....

Maybe an impromptu hang on the 6th and or 7th of December at DAR State Forest Group Site. Still testing out gear for the Nor' Easter. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll make the arrangements.

Maybe Cosmic will have his Incubator by then.

Hope everyone is well.

Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Uhgg I won't be able to make this one either. I am very jealous on how often you guys seem to get out. And I am all excited because I just got my shipping notice from Warbonnet saying that either my spindrift sock or my full length winter lynx or both should be here by this Thursday. I am hoping Both. I also just got my CF tarp in Last thursday as well.

Nighthauk.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    No Worries Tim. A couple of us just usually throw out a couple of dates and then see who can join. Very unplanned and very informal. The Dec 6/7 dates are actually long lead times.

Hey, congrats on your new gear. I think you're gonna really love that new Lynx, and coupled with the Spindrift Sock you should be more than toasty. Let me know what you think of the CF Tarp once you've had a chance to try it out. It's tempting, but the price is steep for my budget.

All the best. See you out on the trail.

Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Western Massachusetts Hang spots

I was actually able to get the tarp out last weekend at a scout campout. It was a beautiful night with clear skies and a full moon. That was cool seeing the moon through the tarp. I enjoyed it a lot. I haven't backpacked with it yet and I have only had it out that one time. Will give more later.
    This year I am hoping to beat my record of last year of -3* that I hit twice last year. This time around I have trees right outside that I can hang in quickly and random nights.
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    This year I am hoping to beat my record of last year of -3* that I hit twice last year. This time around I have trees right outside that I can hang in quickly and random nights.
    You and me both! I now have a place in my backyard to hang, so winter testing here I come!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

And you have a nice incubator as well to get you in some low temps.
    Chesterfield

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast