HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images

Western Massachusetts Hang spots

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    And you have a nice incubator as well to get you in some low temps.
    Yes, yes I do! Thanks Tim!

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    Dec 6/7 are A-OK for me, and I think my incubator will be here by then (I figure I'll order it on Friday, give it 2 weeks, should be here around then!)

I can't do 2 nights but one is a GO - I'm putting it in the calendar!

In other news, my co-worker found me a manual on food dehydration put out by the gov't in 1979 (awesome find) and it has complete plans to build your own dehydrator out of parts that any home depot would have for cheap $$... I might try to make that happen too, so if it's a go y'all might be enjoying some DIY camp food, cosmic-style

2 weeks? Good luck!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Hey Cosmic,

That's a great find on the food dehydrator. I think I'm going to get into that also. I made a batch of Chili this week for the family, and as I was eating it, I was thinking how cool it would be to take the remaining Chili and dehydrate and vacuum seal it for a hang. Please keep us posted if you pursue that.

Regarding the 6 and 7th. It may be easier to say the 7th. Fridays always end up going crazy on everyone and then we all get split up with some going on Friday and some on Saturday, but never together.

I'm going to shoot for arriving at Saturday noon. That gives plenty of time to gather fire wood, set up camp, etc....... Also, if we get a nose count, I can plan on bringing some steaks and potatos so that we can cook the steaks on the grill and bake the potatos in the fire pit. (Butter, sour cream, chives, bacon bits, etc..... fully loaded).

Anyway, see if that works. Will also touch base with Country to see how her schedule is looking for the 7th.

Hope you get your Incubator in time for that hang assuming you can make it. It would be a perfect time to test out your new gear.

Nighthauk has some new stuff coming, but I think he's has the luxury, like Raif, of being able to test it in the back yard. I have a back yard, but with the conspicuous absence of cooperating trees. I guess I could build a stand, but....................... heading off to the woods is always fun for me.

Anyway, stay in touch and let me know what you think.

All the best,
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Suggested Hiking and Hanging Spots in Western Massachusetts

In follow-up to Cosmic Camper's suggestions a few weeks ago, I followed up in order to gather some info/intel on the Tully Trail in Royalston and Mt. Orient in Amherst.

I am putting in two links that will take you to the sites that I checked out. They are full of info and Tully Trail and Campground, in particular, looks to be a place that we should all hang at sometime.

In any event, thanks Brian for the great suggestions. Here are the links.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-orient/758825

http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to...lly-trail.html

http://www.thetrustees.org/assets/do...-Trail-Map.pdf

All the best.

Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Where is this hang?
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Hi Megan,

We're thinking about hanging on December 7th in the Group Camping Area of the DAR State Forest in Goshen, MA. The link explaining the State Forest is below. If you're interested, let us know. This is just an impromptu, informal hang to kind of work the kinks out of some of our gear before the Nor'Easter in January.

If you can join us, that'd be great.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr...t-generic.html

Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Cosmic, Country,

Here are a few of the pictures that I had told you about when I went hanging with Charlie (my Golden Retriever) at October Mountain earlier this Fall.

It was modified hiking/car camping as I was (and am) still nursing my shoulder.

I don't take him with me in the cold, cold weather because I can't guarantee his warmth and safety. When he sees me loading up the backpack, he starts pacing because he knows that I am going on a trip (and he's supposed to be coming with me.). Anyway, he gets 3 seasons of backpacking, hiking and camping so that's pretty good.

Camping in a hammock with him on the ground underneath does present its problems every once in awhile, but its worth it.

All the Best !
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sunshower (Megan),

Even though the link doesn't show it, they permit Winter Camping but only in the Group Camping Area and only with prior arrangements made. I'll take care of that part.

In the group area, there is a Privy and each area has a picnic table and fire ring.

Country Roads (Chelsea) and I camped out there a couple of week-ends ago (Veteran's Day Week-end) and did just fine. We can assure you that there are plenty of trees to hang from. We made a nice fire and stayed up having a few adult beverages and talking about Virginia, Gear, and Stuff. It was fun.

Later that night it got WINDY and the temp dropped to about 27 or so. With the wind, it went, wind chill wise to sub 20F.

Country has an awesome DIY Tarp with doors and the wind really put it through the test that night. It came out with flying colors.

Anyway, if you can make the 7th, that would be great. It should be fun. If you can't, now worries......... The Nor'Easter is just around the corner.......

All the best !
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I am definitely in for the 6th and 7th!! I'm having withdraw symptoms...looking at my gear constantly, touching it, organizing it, buying more of it... I do have that problem of having to work at 9:30 Sunday morning but if it's just car camping in Goshen then I should be able to make it to work on time.

Nighthauk, you'll make it to one of these hangs one day hopefully... cosmic sleeps like 5 feet from his bedroom window, outside in the hammock all the time...well, less lately since he needs and underquilt, but once he gets the underquilt we won't be able to stop him.

Raiff, you need to get your kilt out here!

Sunshower, it would be awesome if you could make it!

Gil, I love the pic of Charlie laying in the creek. And steaks would be awesome. I just got a titanium Dutch flyz grill that I want to try out! Dutch rocks!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast