The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    I glad to hear that you had a great night out there. It is always great to know that your gear performs to your expectations.

As to our night, Lilprincess and I went outside at about 11:30PM last night. It was about 17* I had the same gear as listed above. Nothing was added besides smartwool glove liners and a buff. I had on a light poly t-shirt and mid weight EMS long sleeve shirt, REI mid weight bottoms, and smartwool trekking sock. Lows overnight got to 7*. I was warm all night.
    Heard an Barred owl almost directly overhead, which scared the bejeebus outta me. Other than that slept about 6.5hrs straight.

I do have to say though that I had some frost on the inside of the spindrift. I also found that as the temps drop so does the spindrift. The shock cord doesn't hold as well so the whole thing droops down on you and the frost helps weigh it down even further. So I think that I will be going to try some lash-it and see if I can keep the spindrift up higher so that when I move around I don't have snow. This however doesn't change the fact that frost condenses on the zipper as well and when you unzip that there is snow too. Still up in the air whether or not I like the sock.

I will have Lilprincess chime in on her experience.
    It was a good try, but I started out a little behind. Lessons learned though. First I forgot a pillow, and for some reason, once I'm in the hammock I don't get out of the hammock, unless I REALLY need to pee, I know, I'm stubborn and stupid. Second, I didn't listen to NH, and didn't take a hot water bottle out with me. This would have helped me start out warmer. The insulation was cold to start off, and that took a little while to warm up. My feet were chilly for a little bit, but I tucked them inside a little more, and they warmed up. I curled up under my topquilt, literally, all the way under the quilt. No part of my body was not surrounded by down, and most by a few layers.
    After listening to the wild life, and the gently snoring of my husband, I fell asleep for a few hours, only to be awakened at 3am with cold shoulders. I don't know if it was the topquilt that slipped away or a draft from below, but I knew that at 3am it wasn't going to get any warmer. So I bailed to the warm house and bed. But I made it as to 11*, my lowest ever!
    Had some frost on the inside of my top quilt and the tarp, but not as much as I was expecting.

Gear: 0*Full length HG underquilt plus 4oz extra down (I"m 5'2", its about 6')
    0* HG Top quilt, just for me sized
    Montbell down pants
    Black rock Down Mitts
    Black rock Down hat
    Possum down socks
    JC penney down Jacket
    Smart wool tops and bottoms
    Under armor Balaclava
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    LilPrincess,

That was a great and thorough SitRep (situation report). Great job. No detail left untouched.

It was nice that you had the availability of your primary quarters to turn to when it got too cold. Sounds like you have a pretty good sense as to what you would need to do to last through the night.

My outing on Friday night (10*) was not without its trials and tribulations either. My pillow kept slipping underneath me. I had to go fishing for it several times. I'm like you. I need a pillow. At least mine was inside the hammock somewhere. If the neighbors were looking on when I was searching, they would have thought that I was wrestling an alligator in there. Geesh.

Anyway, all is well that ends well. Sounds like Tim had a good night out there too.

Be well. All the best !

Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'm nervous I will be too cold too! I have the same set up as lil princess. Its my left shoulder and torso that freeze up on me.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Sun shower bring some reflectix with you. You can either lay directly on that or slip it In between the hammock and UQ if your incubator isn't quite up to the challenge for you also don't forget nalgene for your hot water bottle. Mmmmmmm warmth.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I will bring some extra sleeping bags with me.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The I will. I have a sunshade in the car.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Looks like the work thing might get me this weekend. Won't know for sure till Friday afternoon, bummer.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Room for one more for sat night? have to check with work today but looks likely I could make it.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    DIY 10' Hexon gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon 10'x12
    Insulation
    DIY down Argon UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Jolly that's too bad. I hope you can make it. And Suede, the more, the merrier!

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    YAHOO!

Suede - YES, of course, we'd be delighted for one more!

Others - So, my 0 degree Incubator has ARRIVED, and only a full WEEK ahead of time (it was here on Friday but I wasn't even around to grab it!). I have yet to spend the night in it, although I may try tonight. I did set it up and felt very incredibly comfortable and cozy - it was around 9pm and the temperature was probably somewhere below freezing. Will I last the night with just the incubator and my synthetic Mountain Hardwear mummy bag? The bag is rated to -15 but I'd be shocked if it performed THAT well.

The more I think on this, the more TONIGHT seems like the best time for a test run!

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast