Hammock
    DD
    Tarp
    DD
    Images

Modifying DD Hammocks for a Scout Troop - trial run

Hi, folks!

First post - I've been getting stuff together for a local Scout Troop. Had my first trial hang last night with the system I plan to teach the kids. I've made most of this system up as I've gone along - it's a work in progress but at least is making sense to me so far. I'd certainly welcome any comments or suggestions!

I'm not an experienced hammock camper (2nd night ever, last night), just gathering materials while trying to come up with something that's not overly expensive, easy to teach, durable, etc... I have not tried to minimize weight, or reduce bulk. There is room to grow if any of the kids want to get into it more and try making whoopie slings or whatever. I've got two made up just now as a demonstrator, to validate the design before going ahead and making up a dozen more.

The starting point for my modification is the DD Scout Hammock, but I guess what I'm describing here is the whole suspension system.

The DD Scout Hammock comes with two ~16' lengths of soft, 1/2" tubular webbing. From each length, I cut off about 2' in length and tie a Double Fisherman's to make a short, permanent loop through the stitched channel at either end of the hammock. Some thread a loop through the channel and girth hitch, but I didn't want the loops coming loose and needing to be rethreaded.

(With the larger DD Camping Hammock (for the adults), I may not rely on the stitching alone, and instead choke the ends of the hammock.)

While many may use this 1/2" webbing to tie directly to trees, I have opted to promote the use of tree huggers both to increase durability of our kit and also minimize impact. I have a 100m reel of 1.5" flat webbing - unsure of the material or load rating, but it is substantial. Yet to find the correct sewing machine to stitch the end loops.

The remainder of the 1/2" webbing from DD I have doubled up - DD intended their hammocks to be hung from two strands, so I will not change that. An overhand knot to keep the ends together, and an 18" length of 1" tubular climbing webbing as a friction saver sheath at the center. I've used 19mm adhesive lined 3:1 heatshrink tubing to secure the ends of the sheath to the 1/2" webbing (electrical tape in the photo, below). This lot will likely be girth hitched to the tree huggers, or possibly hang from a Marlinspike Hitch - either way, giving me about 7' maximum length from tree to hammock.

I have climbing carabiners to attach to the loops at each end of the hammock, and to Marlinspike Hitches at the appropriate points in the doubled 1/2" webbing. I am aware of the need to tie the Marlinspike correctly (drawloop in the standing part).

The tree hugger shown in the photo below is not what I'm using, just what I had laying around to take the photo.

Last edited by granthang; 10-16-2013 at 14:33. Reason: images

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    I modified mine also but no end whipping! It will hold an adult!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Please don't choke the hammock!

The hammock is designed to have a loop go thru the channel AND allow enough room for the corners to slide up as you move around in the hammock. If you make the loop too small or put a girth hitch around the end you are effectively making the hammock shorter. Many make this mistake with this style hammock (DD, Clark, Claytor, etc) then complain about how short the hammock is. Hang in your hammock with the stock suspension then try it with a short loop or girth hitch and you will feel like you have cut a couple feet off your hammock. New suspensions are cool but the stock design is there for a reason. You can still modify it just make the loop large enough that it does not "choke" the hammock.

Hammock
    DD
    Tarp
    DD
    Images
    Thanks, both.

Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    The hammock is designed to have a loop go thru the channel AND allow enough room for the corners to slide up as you move around in the hammock.
    Ah... I'll go and hang on uncut webbing, once at least.

I've read a few comments regarding failed stitching - not worried about the kid's ones so much. My own does hold me - choking the end may just be for an emergency then.

• + New Posts