Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*

Burrow Questions...

I bought a 20 degree Incubator last year, and I want to get a Burrow. I plan to use it for hammock camping and also in tents when on the ground--going to Philmont as a Scoutmaster this summer. Temps there can go down to 30s in June--high altitude. Plus I hope to do an AT thru-hike in a few years when I retire.

I am thinking about a Burrow 20 because I hate being cold. Sound right??

Also, I read somewhere that HG makes them capable of attaching to a sleeping pad for warmth assuredness. How does that work? I checked out Katabatic quilts and their clip system. I know HG is different, but I am curious.

Also, will there be a Black Friday Sale next month? If so, I am in!!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'm not sure of the exact questions but it sounds like you are asking about the suitability of a 20 degree top quilt.

Of course that depends on the temps where you plan to use it - "cold" can cover a wide range. With that disclaimer, I've found the 20 degree Burrow plenty warm for domestic temperatures - regular nighttime outdoors. That is, it has not been used on mountainsides in winter storms. And you can always put on a down vest for more warmth if you need it and don't forget that hat. If you plan on using it in the summer you might find 20 degrees too warm.

Usually the hammock, not the top quilt, manages any pad. That is done by a double layer, or sleeve in the hammock where you can insert a pad. For a single layer hammock you can use an under cover and put your pad between it and the hammock. Even with a double layer hammock, the pad in an under cover, rather than in the sleeve, might be more comfortable.

I'm fortunate to be able to set a hammock up on the front porch so I can try out various combinations as winter approaches. If I "guess wrong", I can always just go back inside.

Better to find out what works at home than what doesn't work 8 miles down the trail at night.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-25-2013 at 02:19.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    If you're planning on using the TQ in both a hammock or one ground, I've heard that Adam recommends going with the half taper and wide quilt options. It'll add a little weight but not too much and will do a better job of keeping you warm on the ground.

For securing a pad while on the ground, I'd shoot Adam an email or PM directly and discuss it with him. I'm pretty sure I've read of people having it added to their quilts, but I don't remember the specifics.

As for temps, if the temps get down to the 30's a 20* quilt should be fine, especially if you add an ounce or two of overstuff. But everyone is different, so you may have to get the quilt and get out in those temps to see how it works for you (I know, I know, more camping for gear testing is just awful...). If nothing else, you could resell the quilt on here for close to what you paid and upgrade to a zero degree.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    I would call Adam and ask, you will be glad you did and get exactly what you are looking for, good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    You may find that you don't need any special attachments for using your quilt on the ground. However, getting some ribbon loops attached to the quilt edges above the footbox would give you the ability to add something if necessary. I think that wide with the half taper is great advice.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*

Good advice!

Thanks, guys, for the great advice. I will call Adam and make sure I get the right Burrow for my needs. Wide, half taper sounds good. I may get some overfill, depending on what Adam says. And I will see if he can rig some loops for sleeping pad attachment when sleeping on the ground.

• + New Posts