Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I'm exhausted just reading the trip report. And a wonderful report it was, at that. Now that I'm all tired and sweaty from reading it, I will have to wait to watch the videos after I get home.

Good excercise and proper stretching is very important when training for long hikes. Glad to hear the pain didn't stop you and gives you points of strengthening your resolve.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    I'm exhausted just reading the trip report. And a wonderful report it was, at that. Now that I'm all tired and sweaty from reading it, I will have to wait to watch the videos after I get home.

Good excercise and proper stretching is very important when training for long hikes. Glad to hear the pain didn't stop you and gives you points of strengthening your resolve.
    Thank you!

I definitely agree that good training makes for good hikes. I need my knees to heal, so I can start training for the bike into the annual hang...soon...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Rats! I just read the trip report, saw the pics, then wanted to watch the video, but my wife refused to make the pop corn. John, you amaze me. Mr. Determination for sure.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    Rats! I just read the trip report, saw the pics, then wanted to watch the video, but my wife refused to make the pop corn. John, you amaze me. Mr. Determination for sure.
    Heh. True story: we got a package from my mother-in-law last night that had "Popcorn Factory" labels on it. Sure enough, Mrs. FLRider got out a package of caramel popcorn from it and watched the video...

I'm not quite as determined as my old neighbors, but thanks anyway......
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    I highly recommend doing the whole thing. It's worth it, especially if you can work out a food drop so you can get away with only carrying four or so days' worth of food.

Yeah, that section heading down to Jocassee was...mmm...strenuous...where my knees were concerned. I've had better mornings, for sure. I think that was a primary contributor to my low spirits going through the Laurel Valley. Still, I wouldn't trade the memory of it away, for sure.

Thanks!
    I'm thinking of posting it to our hiking group in two sections... two long weekends should take care of it, but none of us do 22 mile days, so three days from oconee to whitewater, and 4 from whitewater to table rock should do us.
    Thanks for all the encouragement, your videos are GREAT. Did you do them with a GoPro? I have a little point and shoot, never thought of mounting it down low on a pole like that.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9/1.1 CAMO
    Tarp
    Superfly CAMO
    Insulation
    YETI CAMO
    While I appreciate it, you should see some of the serious long-distance hikers we have here. Try going hiking with FireInMyBones some time; he's perfectly capable of running me into the ground. And I'm pretty sure that Fronkey had a thirty-five(?) mile day in the same sort of terrain I was on this trip when he was looking for his cousin on the SHT.

Still and all, I'm really glad that I didn't let the trail stop me a second time. I really dislike leaving things unfinished, and I'm pretty stubborn.
    Fronkey for sure is in the pro hikers club! I'm not familiar with the SHT through hike, but by the looks of the terrain you were going through, it looked pretty bad. Still I'm impressed, good on you!! Sometimes you gotta play through the pain!!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    I'm thinking of posting it to our hiking group in two sections... two long weekends should take care of it, but none of us do 22 mile days, so three days from oconee to whitewater, and 4 from whitewater to table rock should do us.
    Thanks for all the encouragement, your videos are GREAT. Did you do them with a GoPro? I have a little point and shoot, never thought of mounting it down low on a pole like that.
    That's definitely doable for anyone who's capable of fifteen milers on the flat. Ten miles a day in that terrain shouldn't kill your knees, either.

Thank you! No, I did 'em with a three or four year old Canon PowerShot (the usual ~$100 model you can get at any electronics store) and a StickPic (which I highly recommend; I'm going to be purchasing another one). The steady long-shot portions used a GorillaPod, one that I drilled an hole in the bottom of to attach my StickPic to (thanks go to FIMB for the idea).

Hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Fronkey for sure is in the pro hikers club! I'm not familiar with the SHT through hike, but by the looks of the terrain you were going through, it looked pretty bad. Still I'm impressed, good on you!! Sometimes you gotta play through the pain!!
    Thank you!
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    FLRider, I know it's a bit late, but I still thought you might be interested. It took us some work, but now that we have a plan, more trails are in our future. Perhaps it will aid in future endeavors on the FHT.
    Foothills Trail Pocket Profile
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    FLRider, I know it's a bit late, but I still thought you might be interested. It took us some work, but now that we have a plan, more trails are in our future. Perhaps it will aid in future endeavors on the FHT.
    Foothills Trail Pocket Profile
    Thank you, FIMB! I got by with my own homemade version of that, but it wasn't anywhere near as nice. For folks wanting to do this trail, I highly recommend the Pocket Profile maps. They've got just about everything you'll need for on-trail information.
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234