Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .

Michigan Winter Hang Jan. 10, 11 , 12 Huron Nat. Forest

Ok the sight is set . Six brave souls committed . Should be plenty of snow and cold to test your mettle . Beautiful Byron Lake primary sight . We have a number of backup sights within 10 or 15 miles should we not be able to get down the road . This is between Mio and Oscoda along the beautiful Ausauble river . East of Grayling . Good Ice fishing for those that don't want to pack food .
    Small hike of 1.5 miles to sight but plenty of hiking trails in this 20,000 acre area .

Rangerjoes campsight this fall on Byron lake .

Looks like a max of 6 miles of unplowed road (F 32)to the Byron lake side of the trail , then about 1.5 to 2 mile hike to the sight . Also about a half mile hike to Blockhouse creek and a little further to the Au Sauble river . Looks great to me .

We will shuttle people from the BP on the corner of 72 and 65 if necessary for 2WD vehicles .

Video of the trail made by a fellow I know . He's really getting good at these vids .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W-i53to9GY

Topo of the area .
    Last edited by riverjoe; 10-19-2013 at 20:06.

Hammock
    Byer Moskito Traveller
    Tarp
    Coleman Hybrid
    Suspension
    Byer MicroRope
    Images

Byron Lake

If you wouldnt mind another soul heading out with you, I may be able to make it. I have been all through the area, it is called the Hoist Lake Foot Travel Area. I did a piece on it a while back and have a map available for it.
    Hoist Lake

Here is the link to the forest service site also

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    O.E.M. WBBB Straps

Put me down as a maybe.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Welcome aboard fellow hikers . Michigan Hiker , have you been there in the winter and if so did you try going in the west side off the Ausauble road ?

Hammock
    Byer Moskito Traveller
    Tarp
    Coleman Hybrid
    Suspension
    Byer MicroRope
    Images

Michigan Winter hang

Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    Welcome aboard fellow hikers . Michigan Hiker , have you been there in the winter and if so did you try going in the west side off the Ausauble road ?
    I have only been there when there is no snow. Coming in on the M65 side would add considerably to the hike, snowshoe or ski in. I will try to check with the forest service to see if Ausable Road is plowed. I know that in the past they have plowed some of the parking areas.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganHiker View Post
    I have only been there when there is no snow. Coming in on the M65 side would add considerably to the hike, snowshoe or ski in. I will try to check with the forest service to see if Ausable Road is plowed. I know that in the past they have plowed some of the parking areas.
    I agree. Just did the hike in from M65 to Byon Lake this past weekend. Took about 3 1/2 hours because we were taking our time. A 6 mile hike in with gear in the winter could be kind of brutal. If Ausable is open and passable, go with that. But, who know's with our Michigan winters...last year at the same time of year there was little or no snow on the ground.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    But, who know's with our Michigan winters...last year at the same time of year there was little or no snow on the ground.
    That was pretty depressing Crossing my fingers for a HUGE snow a few days before this trip!

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I agree. Just did the hike in from M65 to Byon Lake this past weekend. Took about 3 1/2 hours because we were taking our time. A 6 mile hike in with gear in the winter could be kind of brutal. If Ausable is open and passable, go with that. But, who know's with our Michigan winters...last year at the same time of year there was little or no snow on the ground.
    Did you get some more pics of Byron lake and environs . Is there much deadfall wood around ?

Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    Did you get some more pics of Byron lake and environs . Is there much deadfall wood around ?
    We didn't have any problem finding plenty of wood in the general vicinity of our campsite. Our site was the established one on the top of the hill on the north side of Byron Lake. It had a fire ring with cooking grate and benches. This picture shows our site, but in the background closer to the lake is another rustic site that we looked at as an option. If it was windy, we probably would have gone for it, but having the bench was a bonus. IMHO, these would both be great sites for the winter hang with lots of hanging options and room for 2 fires. Lake access is easy but the shore area is shallow.

Here's a few images from this past weekend.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I was there last year, amazing fall colors! Missed it this year unfortunately, so maybe I'll see what it's like in the winter.

I believe they plow the lot to the east off State Road (M65), or maybe both lots, but can take a few days after a big snow. Either way, it's just a very short access road so if at least one person breaks a trail with 4x4, others may be able to follow.

Put me down for a maybe!

Sharing some fall photos:

Last edited by OneClick; 10-22-2013 at 09:43.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast