Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips/tricks

Tips/tricks

I have learned so much from this forum that has helped me stay comfortable in the backcountry and lighten my pack at the same time. I just got back from a loop trip around Mt Saint Helens and I am so pleased with how simple, light and comfortable my hammock sleeping system has become thanks to all the insight gleaned here.

I wanted to share a few things that I have discovered that I think would float well with this crowd.

I often want to get a good rocking motion going after I am tucked into my hammock, but don't have anything anchored to grab onto to rock myself. I have discovered that by bending my legs at the knees with my feet near my butt and my knees towards the ridgeline, I can swing my knees to the sides rhythmically to work up a good swing/rocking motion. This works pretty good and adds to the enjoyment of my hanging. Give it a shot.

The other trick deals with the issue of guylines tangling when I remove my tarp from its stuff sack. I used my girlfriends hair scrunchies (small elastic hair bands, you could use a loop of shock cord), larksheaded thru the loops at the tie out points of the tarp. To pack up my tarp I bundle the guyline towards the tie out point, then use the attached scrunchie like a rubber band to hold the bundled cord neatly. It essentially accomplishes what "cord pockets" are made for, but can be added after market for practically free and less than 12 grams for six of them. This was a real lightbulb moment for me and greatly reduces the frustration of pulling out your tarp and wrestling tangles out of lash-it with cold fingers.

The last thing is a product called space paste, basically dry toothpaste tablets. It allows me to bring only exactly the amount of toothpaste that I need, and in a pinch, no toothbrush. I tried using them by chewing, adding a bit of water and swishing, which its mentioned in the package directions as a viable method. although for my three day trip I wished I had brought a brush, I will say that I will be bringing only the tablets on overnights. This has appealed to my ultralight infatuation.

I hope these tips help someone the easy that countless other tips have helped me.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    What loop, how high, how much snow? Nice lightweight suggestions. I recommend a figure 8 gathering of the guy lines and a few wraps to keep them tidy. The figure 8 loops will keep you tangle free.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Thanks for the tips, they are always welcome! I think I will check out that toothpaste
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Tip on using the toothpaste with no brush. Take a small green twig and split the ends until it is brush like. You can use that with the tooth paste to help clean your teeth and gum line with no additional weight. Not quite as good as a toothbrush but does work.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pushbrew View Post
    The other trick deals with the issue of guylines tangling when I remove my tarp from its stuff sack. I used my girlfriends hair scrunchies (small elastic hair bands, you could use a loop of shock cord), larksheaded thru the loops at the tie out points of the tarp. To pack up my tarp I bundle the guyline towards the tie out point, then use the attached scrunchie like a rubber band to hold the bundled cord neatly. It essentially accomplishes what "cord pockets" are made for, but can be added after market for practically free and less than 12 grams for six of them. This was a real lightbulb moment for me and greatly reduces the frustration of pulling out your tarp and wrestling tangles out of lash-it with cold fingers.
    Another good DIY solution is Pawn Bags.

Hammock
    WBBB1.7 dbl,
    Tarp
    OES DL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pushbrew View Post
    by bending my legs at the knees
    Can you do otherwise?

Re: Tips/tricks

I can bend my leg at the hip I guess...

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I got in trouble in school once.

The teacher told me to sit in front and I told her I don't fold that way.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Burrow 20-Phoenix0
    Suspension
    Whoopies-ENO Atlas
    You can make your own toothpaste tablets by squeezing a row of toothpaste out on a plate and letting it dry out for a few days. Cut the rows into tablets size bits and let them dry a few more days. Pack in a small zip lock and simply chew them then rub teeth with finger or brush. If you are taking a short trip, you can count out only as many as you will need. Longer trips can be resupplied in a mail drop.
    Buckeye Bill

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Tip on using the toothpaste with no brush. Take a small green twig and split the ends until it is brush like. You can use that with the tooth paste to help clean your teeth and gum line with no additional weight. Not quite as good as a toothbrush but does work.
    Many tree barks have some antiseptic &/or anti-inflammatory properties in them. I have often used an oak or willow twig that is about pencil sized in diameter when I'm out where I really belong. Chew the end a bit to separate the wood fiber & you're good to go. Cattail & other fibrous leaf can be processed down quite easily for flossing.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast