Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable

2 years later..

Hi guys,

My last post is from more than 2 years ago.. still hammocking all over the place in Canada.. and i have never really improved anything for a long time and could use your knowledge / new technic or new toys for hangin' better, lighter, warmer, whatever

I am on the left part of the picture below.. the shelter is made of:

- Warbonnet Mamajamba
    - Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    - HG 3 season Phoenix underquilt

Here is what i do..

1) First thing I see.. the 4 corners of my tarp are tied with a piece of elestic shock cord, and a few feets of paracord on every corners.. with the stretching part.. my tarp dont become loose over night.. the paracord could be replace maybe with something else.

2) for the tarp, i hang a lenght of paracord between the 2 trees and use 2 moving prussic knot along that ridge line. i got 2 small carabineer that hook on those 2 prussik so i can adjust where my tarp is going to be before staking it to the ground.

3) still using the webbing from the original WBBB , i got 2 whoopie sling somewhere around the house for years but could not trust them or motivate me to change the webbing

Beside planning on getting a winter quilt and changing paracord for (insert better cordage here) .. what would you upgrade on my setup ? [gear/technic/etc..]

Thank you very much for your help guys

All input are welcome!

DocBurN

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Definitely, you can upgrade the guy lines to something like Tech-line or dyneema. I run a 6" loop of shock cord through the tarp attachments (D rings/loops) A line loc is on the loop and I use tech-line for guy outs with a loop spliced into the tent peg end. No knots, adjusts in a heartbeat and holds the tarp taught.

I also used tech-line for my continuous ridge line - a whole lot better than paracord. Also, a pair of dutch flies makes hanging a breeze. A pair of Prussics, one on each end of the tarp make adjusting the centering of the tarp easy.

At first I was leary of whoopee slings and amsteel as well. Then I simply made note of all the guys who were a whole lot heavier than me that were successfully hanging from it and figured the worst that could happen was a sore butt and a wounded dignity. I hung low the first couple of times. Properly milked they hold far more weight than I'm ever going to put in the hammock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images

2 years later..

I don't think that you really need to make changes on the hammock. I currently have a wbbb 1.7dl with the webbing suspension. I moved back to the webbing after using the whoopies, I just liked having all the suspension in one. As for the tarp I would definitely replace those lines. I found that the braided mason line is super light but tangles when you look at it funny. Get some zing-it or some sort of dyneema, it is light and does not tangle near as bad. The mason line will stretch a little and the dyneema will not stretch. If everything has been working for you for two years there can't be much that needs changing. HYOH
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    I used my first hammock for the first time at -11 Celsius (12.2 fahrenheit) in the winter, feb 2010 without underquilt.. i sure discovered that i could upgrade back then..

I plan on keeping the webbing so far, but could remove all paracord for sure. I'll check any hammockforum sponsors for some dyneema..

Everything have been working for me yes.. but , for exemple, warbonnet did not had XLC back then, which seem to be an upgrade over my fully working old one (I used to get a leg semi-numb when placed improperly with the feet pouch..).

So far, the winter quilt is the thing i miss the most since i have done every season with a 3season uq

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Even the buckle have change.. i have gotten the wrong buckle 3 years ago because warbonnet was out of 1" buckle (i have ~1.25" for the 1" webbing). Made no difference for hanging but i did damage my webbing with them

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Sounds like it's working for you. A minor upgrade to lighter stronger cord for hanging the tarp...okay. If you want to play around with your tarp, You might consider some hardware like Dutchware stingerz or flyz, or Loop alien, or tarp keys, etc...
    I have enjoyed reading this blog by Derek Hansen. Gives you an idea about what is new in the market.

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/v...s-with-a-tarp/

But basically, it sounds like you have a system that works!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Sounds like it's working for you. A minor upgrade to lighter stronger cord for hanging the tarp...okay. If you want to play around with your tarp, You might consider some hardware like Dutchware stingerz or flyz, or Loop alien, or tarp keys, etc...
    I have enjoyed reading this blog by Derek Hansen. Gives you an idea about what is new in the market.

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/v...s-with-a-tarp/

But basically, it sounds like you have a system that works!
    Thats what im talking about.. im not sure about the hardware version but i do like the simplicity of the 2 mini biners + 1 prussik for the tarp ridgeline.

i have undone way too much knots with temp below zero with numb fingers.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Dutch tarp flys (together with some Lash-It or Zing-It cord) are a good upgrade. For a long time I used a continuous ridgeline I purchased from Whoopieslings. I got some Dutch Stingerz this year, and man it's a difference! I had to stop running the continuous ridgeline under my tarp because I had water dripping from the ridgeline in heavy rains. I never got the tarp ridge taut when running the line over the tarp. With the partial ridgeline and the Stingerz it's a breeze to get the tarp centered and taut. It's also easy to tie off the cord. I'd go for Tarp Flyz now, though, instead of Stingerz, since they offer a bit more flexibility.

With regards to the suspension, it depends on what you want. I found the Warbonnet webbing to be the most flexible and easiest suspension. In contrast to the Whoopies you can set up much closer. Although it's a heavier option, I went back to the webbing suspension for this reason.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I think it was Solomon that said, "There's nothing new under the sun."
    There are some new gizmos and methods to accomplish the same old things, though.
    But your setup seems pretty much up to current practices with the exception of your tarp ridgeline as has already been mentioned. Everyone probably has their favorite gadget but this thread about using Lineloks for tarp tensioners https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=loks led me to my most satisfying discovery so far.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I like Lawson Glowire instead of paracord for tarp lines

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast