Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images

Winter Yeti vs using two 3 season Yetis

I've been pondering the purchase of a Winter Yeti, and already own the 3 season Yeti to go with my WBBB 1-7 DBL, Big MJ with doors, the BBO, and the UQP combination.

My question regards using TWO of the 3 Season Yetis versus having a Winter Yeti along with the 3 S Yeti. It seems that there would be as much depth of insulation with the two 3 S Yetis, as well as a lot more options for UQ positioning and use, as opposed to just using the Winter Yeti.

Perhaps two underquilts at the same time creates more problems than solutions. Slippage, compression of inner UQ, suspenson snarls, ???

Currently I am prepping for the Wisconsin Winter Hang in January. Expect to deal with zero degree temps, and have back up gear if needed.

64YO. 6'2", 225#

Maybe I should be looking harder at the Mt Washinton 4 or the Greylock 4...

Another curiosity deals with controlling drafts along the bottom of the tarps. I know that hang site location is everything, but why arn't there tarp extenders for the sides and ends to radically reduce breezes robbing your heat retention?

Just sayin'

Images
    I have a winter yeti. My wife uses it for a 3 season quilt.
    She is 5' and it gives her good coverage.
    In true winter conditions and being over 6' tall I'd consider a full length 20 degree UQ just for better coverage. Add your yeti if your core needs more.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Another curiosity deals with controlling drafts along the bottom of the tarps. I know that hang site location is everything, but why arn't there tarp extenders for the sides and ends to radically reduce breezes robbing your heat retention?

Just sayin'
    Consider a 2qzq under quilt protector. While it doesn't control draft, it does increase warmth being robbed from UQ. Adds 5-10*. It is for just this purpose.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images

Consider UQP

Yeah, I have the UQP from 2QZQ, and it works fine at stopping drafts and keeping the UQ and hammock clean and dry.

The UQP appears to be the best available solution, and I feel it is well worth the $$ & weight/bulk.

I was just thinking that almost all tarp set-ups seem to never quite get to ground level, thus any breeze at all goes under the tarp, and maybe some cottage industry guru might look further into tarp extenders for winter hanging.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    I've been pondering the purchase of a Winter Yeti, and already own the 3 season Yeti to go with my WBBB 1-7 DBL, Big MJ with doors, the BBO, and the UQP combination.

My question regards using TWO of the 3 Season Yetis versus having a Winter Yeti along with the 3 S Yeti. It seems that there would be as much depth of insulation with the two 3 S Yetis, as well as a lot more options for UQ positioning and use, as opposed to just using the Winter Yeti.
    If you already have 1 3S yeti and looking for a second quilt for winter camping, I would go with the winter yeti vs the second 3S yeti. That way you could use both and position the 3S yeti for your legs, or or slide further up if you need more warm in the core of your body or on your backside. Gives more flexibility, in my opinion.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are my 0º Yeti and Frankenquilt end to end.

And my JRB Hudson River and Frankenquilt stacked with jacket over footbox.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Winter Yeti vs using two 3 season Yetis

I have both a winter Yeti and a 3 season Yeti. I also have full length JRB Hudson River. Like Shug I have stacked my 3 season Yeti over the top of my Hudson River and it worked very well. If you stacked two 3 season Yeti's it would probably be equal to or close to as warm as a single winter Yeti. On the other hand trying to rig two Yetis up spaced out to make a full length quilt would not be as effective. The reason is that the Yeti's do not have cinch cord ends. They are specifically designed and cut to be used as a torso under quilt only. If you slide a Yeti down to the foot end you'll have a big open end gap at the foot end because it has no draw cords to cinch it closed.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I put elastic drawcords at both ends on my 3 season yeti and my winter yeti. It's easy to do. It helps keeps the quilts snug when moving around.

I tried lining them up for a full length quilt at Fall MAHA but still didn't like it because the ends are not tapered enough and it didn't seem to snug up enough at foot end. Even with the drawcords. Big air gaps. I didn't play around with it a whole lot. Plus I don't camp much in winter. Maybe someone else has had better luck with this experiment. I was trying it on a Blackbird and trying to make it work with foot box. That may be the problem.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 10-23-2013 at 06:08.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    If you already have 1 3S yeti and looking for a second quilt for winter camping, I would go with the winter yeti vs the second 3S yeti. That way you could use both and position the 3S yeti for your legs, or or slide further up if you need more warm in the core of your body or on your backside. Gives more flexibility, in my opinion.

Cheers

Brian
    This to me sounds like the most versatile option. The only reason not to do this would be if you want to keep cost ever so slightly down?

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Or he needs a second 3 season for a spouse.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast