Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Wooki XL
    Suspension
    Webbing

Blackbird XLC with both covers or travel sock and net only?

Hello all,

I've been lurking here for a while but I'm going to be in sore need of some advice soon. I currently have a DD hammock and I'm extremely close to pulling the trigger on a blackbird XLC...hopefully the wife won't read this. I'm considering going for the net only version in combination with the travel sock instead of the top cover. My thinking is that it would be easier to vent whilst retaining insect protection and would also provide underquilt protection as well as gear protection if hung low enough. I am also slightly concerned about condensation build up with the top cover. Is it in any way easier to control the condensation in the travel sock compared to the top cover?

If anyone also has anything to point out about this option that I've missed please say. I'd rather make the right choice here as I see that you can't buy the top cover later on.

Thanks,

Gordon

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I don't think the travel sock fits the XLC. I think it is only for the regular Blackbird and Traveler hammocks. I could be wrong though. I know others will chime in on this.
    "No whining in the woods"

Senior Member Awkward Sportsman's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE!
    I too was concerned about condensation with the top cover. I opted for bug net only on my xlc because of this, but now thinking about it I'm assuming WB wouldn't sell the top part if it was an issue. BTW the XLC is wonderful!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Wooki XL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I don't think the travel sock fits the XLC. I think it is only for the regular Blackbird and Traveler hammocks. I could be wrong though. I know others will chime in on this.
    I hadn't even considered that it might not fit the XLC. Thanks for pointing this out.

Awkward Sportsman... Coming from a non breathable material hammock, condensation has plagued my nights so far so hopefully the blackbird will put an end to that. My friend took delivery of one recently and even just sitting in it was enough to convince me.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    You can vent the cover on the XLC to prevent condensation issues. I don't have the XLC, but I have the RidgeRunner with Spindrift cover and I just unzip it a bit at the top to prevent condensation. The cover is nice for holding in heat when it's cold. Good luck to you. Warbonnet has some awesome hammocks.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Wooki XL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks a lot for the help.

It looks like it'll have to the top cover if the sock doesn't fit the XLC anyway. I definitely think a cover of some sort will come in handy. I suppose it's always possible to make a sock if I really felt it was better but there's no way to make the top cover.

Cheers!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    I've used a diy top cover with my normal bb and it worked great. I could really feel the temp difference and I didn't experience any condensation on the few hangs I used it last year. Also, I don't know that you'll need to worry too much about bug protection if it's cold enough out that you're using the cover. Just my $.02.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    2QZQ makes an extension that makes the sock work with the XLC. I haven't actually used one but the guy at Warbonnet told me about it so i'm sure it's good.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    No condensation problems with the XLC top cover yet.
    Have about 30 nights in it.

I am very glad I got the top cover as a wind break, creates the micro climate of +10-12 degrees and lets me sleep just a little later.

Seriosuly, I thought about going net only but then the option of the cover is so darn convenient when it gets cold. Having the ridgeline under the top cover when trying to hang underquilts was an initial concern, but I just ran another line above and it works like a champ.

A sock isn't a bad idea, if you sleep in the very cold temps, below 20 but short of that, not sure how much it would matter. Now bad weather, rain splashing up against your underquilt, different story. An UQP would be useful, which is why it is on my birthday list.

Get the top cover, you won't regret it. My 2 cents.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Get the cover if for no other reason that if you decide in the future you want one, you won't be stuck pleading on the WTB forum since WB doesn't sell them after the fact.

And yeah, no condensation & warmer environment noted this past weekend in 15-20 deg overnight temps.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

• + New Posts