cheap easy hammock

So I'm jumping on the bandwagon... I'm curious enough to make one. I'm an excellent sewer, so the construction does not worry me but I would like to start with the cheapest/easiest just to get started. I'll make more if and when I decide to. The bridge seems to be enticing, but the simple knot at the end is where I will probably start.
    Any tips for a good starter design?
    Unfortunately I will probably be doing this in about two months as I'm moving and buying a house, so priorities come first.
    Scott

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    I did a DIY claytor and then just finished another one. It was easy. The only thing I did differently was velcro instead of a zipper. Unlike everyone else, I hate zippers.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you already sew well you don't need the whole series, but you might watch this episode of the We Don't Sewseries. You casn build a sewn channel end hammock in well under an hour.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Sewn channel end is definitely the quickest and easiest - and they work just fine or ENO and other similar hammocks would not be around.

Grab 3.33 yds of any rugged enough material (1.9 ripstop is ideal), 60" wide. Hem the long edges. Fold in each short end to give you a channel of approx. 2.5" depth, sew three or four stitches across. Loop some cord through the channels. Bada bing, bada boom. You're done.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Scott, it's good to have you on here. Your pannier design with removable stuff sacks has become the mainstay of my bike touring.

I've made lots of hammocks and lived in them for extended periods. I use both whipped and tied ends as the mood strikes. Whipped ends are slightly more compact and perhaps a few grams lighter. Tied ends are quick and easy. In either case, I use a static line (ridge line) to keep the sag constant.

Regarding the bug net, I don't like to fool with zippers or velcro. I make a simple net that drapes around the hammock. It has a pocket on each side to hold some weight if the wind is blowing. The ridgeline goes through a casing at the peak or ridge of the net. A more elaborate version has silnylon ends replacing about 12 inches of net on each end of the net. These give some drip protection and make the end closures a bit more elegant since the bottom edge is sewn closed.

Hey Vitamalz,
    Thanks for the compliment. I wonder periodically how many people make/use them. Completely off the topic of hammocks, did you make them like I suggested or did you improve the suspension? I hate to admit it, but this past fall I finally got to use them, even though they have been published for a number of years.
    Scott

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I have had excellent luck with variations of the Speer design. Its really easy to make, and works great! I recently went to wall mart and bought some cheap fabric to make a hammock for my kids (so the little buggers will quit using mine!) I bought somthing that looks like shower curtain fabric, seared/sealed the edges with a candle, and tied speer knots in the ends. The end result is very servicable---especially for my kids to use so they stay away from mine! I wouldnt use it for me backpacking, but it would make a great test bed for new designs. On a side note, I didnt have any webbing, so I used rope for the support. i much prefere webbing---------its so much easier to set up In my opinion!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    One more thing, I think in a hammock its not as big of deal to use a bug net. What I mean by that, is, youre not on the ground with spiders and ants etc. you still need somthing to keep the bugs off, but its not near the big deal it is n the ground. I had a "RAYWAY" tarp and net tent thatdidnt have a zipper on the bugnet, it just kind of folded up under it self and was supposed to seal the opening. It was ok, but 2 very uncomfortable nights (known in our family as "night of the ants, and night of the spiders" ) convinced me that an extra ounce or 2 was worth a good nights rest! so i added a zipper. Ive kind of carried that over to my hammock camping, and have a speer type velcro bug net rig. It seems to work great. Ive slept on the ground under a tarp in cool weather without a bug net, ----I didnt really like it much. I recently slept in my hammock in cool weather without a bug net and it didnt bother me at all. I really think it makes a huge difference being up off the ground.

• + New Posts