Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images

Argon material for a hammock sock

Has anyone tried out the new Argon material to make a hammock sock? If so, how was the material to work with and did you like your finished sock?

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I haven't made a sock yet, but I have made a top quilt, pillow and several stuff sacks out of Argon. It isn't too bad to sew. It can be a little slipery but not any worse than most of the light weight fabrics we use anyways. Just pin or iron your hems and go slow. Good luck and I can't wait to see how your sock turns out.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY USN digital camo
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs Tarp 9
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    Dyneema Whoopies
    And, what are the dimensions of a good hammock sock? What size material did you start with?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Stormcrow was asked about fabrics he liked to work with, and Argon was one he mentioned, but he cautioned that it's slippery. That's the case with silnylon, too, but people have learned to sew it without too much trouble. We talked about breatheability of fabrics for socks, too. He said anything with a DWR coating is going to be less breatheable, so there's more risk of condensation. All that considered, a really light fabric like Argon should breathe pretty well. I say, try it and let us know how it works. It sure would be light.

I hope to get some Argon from Dutch eventually, but I'd use it for quilts. You might send Dutch a PM asking for an opinion. Pertex Quantum and Pertex Microlight handle condensation really well, in my experience. I've heard M90 and M50 are good, too. Anybody else with ultralight sock experience? Dutch, are you out there?

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    PLUQ/Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle | UCR
    I was actually planning on doing this very thing.. Having used it to make an underquilt for my Ridge Runner, my very first project, I didn't think the fabric was too difficult to work with at all.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the great input. This will be my first attempt at a hammock sock, so any other tips would be greatly appreciated too.

I am going for lightweight cool weather wind protection for a soon to be started UL hammock set up (MBM UL Hillbilly hammock take 2). Yes, my 6 1/1 oz one is nice and light, but the challenge of even lighter is an addiction.

I have considered a more weather resistant but less breathable material for the bottom half that would cover the UQ and a more breathable material for the top half. I am planning a very simple sock, most likely using Just Jeff's plans or some modification.

I will take pics when I am finished, but it will most likely be a total winter project.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    For ease of construction I highly recommend the fronkey style. Easy to make, easy to get in and out of.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    I have considered a more weather resistant but less breathable material for the bottom half that would cover the UQ and a more breathable material for the top half. I am planning a very simple sock, most likely using Just Jeff's plans or some modification.
    I look forward to seeing your new sock. I think you're on the right track with the breatheable top and waterproof bottom sections. My winter sock/tent has Pertex Microlight for the top half and silnylon for the bottom. It also has a footprint of Tyvek, but omitting the floor would keep it lighter and simplify construction. This sock/tent performs better than my other one, which is all 1.1 oz. ripstop. That is, it handles condensation better, and the silnylon bottom doesn't seem to collect frost or moisture. When we breathe out, the warm, moist air goes up, so the area just above our heads needs to be the most breatheable. (To a lesser extent, the area above my feet gets some condensation, but that may be because I take extra care to keep my feet warm, so they're more likely to perspire if I overdo it.)
    I think my next sock will have an M50 top and a cuben bottom section, so it will be very light. (Maybe not as light as yours, though, because it will have a Tyvek floor big enough to put my pack on and a vertical zipper entrance midway on one side.)

Quote Originally Posted by cpverne View Post
    I was actually planning on doing this very thing.. Having used it to make an underquilt for my Ridge Runner, my very first project, I didn't think the fabric was too difficult to work with at all.
    This is something I am interested in making for my ridgerunner also. I'd be interested to see what you come up with, I was impressed with your diy quilt. If you make a sock for your RR I'd love to get the dimensions from you.

Would cuben be a bad idea for a sock? It would be nice and light but I'm guessing it doesn't breath well enough.
    Last edited by JoshuaTrees; 11-04-2013 at 09:13.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I look forward to seeing your new sock. I think you're on the right track with the breatheable top and waterproof bottom sections. My winter sock/tent has Pertex Microlight for the top half and silnylon for the bottom. It also has a footprint of Tyvek, but omitting the floor would keep it lighter and simplify construction. This sock/tent performs better than my other one, which is all 1.1 oz. ripstop. That is, it handles condensation better, and the silnylon bottom doesn't seem to collect frost or moisture. When we breathe out, the warm, moist air goes up, so the area just above our heads needs to be the most breatheable. (To a lesser extent, the area above my feet gets some condensation, but that may be because I take extra care to keep my feet warm, so they're more likely to perspire if I overdo it.)
    I think my next sock will have an M50 top and a cuben bottom section, so it will be very light. (Maybe not as light as yours, though, because it will have a Tyvek floor big enough to put my pack on and a vertical zipper entrance midway on one side.)
    WV,

Thinking like a simple carpenter, (note DIY type, not accomplished) I know when I do roofing jobs, I have installed ridge vents. I always notice how much heat a simple bug net holds in yet it breathes. Wondering if a strip of no-see-um along the ridge of a sock would retain heat yet allow moisture to escape.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast