Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Underquilt! Of course once you get that, you'll be wanting to get rid of that heavy sleeping bag and go with a TQ. My TQ is about 40% lighter and half the size of my old sleeping bag, at the same weight.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    Underquilt! Of course once you get that, you'll be wanting to get rid of that heavy sleeping bag and go with a TQ. My TQ is about 40% lighter and half the size of my old sleeping bag, at the same weight.
    True story. I went with a down UQ and it is so amazingly light and compact. My generic synthetic 20* sleeping bag is heavy in comparison and ridiculously bulky. That darn thing takes up the whole bottom of my pack Can't wait to ditch it for a down TQ!
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

UQ - and an addiction warning!

My 'vote' would be for an UQ first.

After getting an OES Spinn tarp for my HH ULB, a JrB UQ was my next major hanging upgrade purchase - I found pads were not comfortable enough for me plus they were a BIG hassle in the HH bottom entry (I already had 2 great WM sleeping bags, a 20* & 35*, that served sufficiently in the hammock for the time being)...
    Next 'minor' purchase was a 2QZQ zipper mod (I got my ULB long before HH came out with side zips)...

Started saving up for a WBBB - all those HF members using them certainly can't be wrong(!)... (they weren't!!)

...followed by a HG 3/4 UQ for the BB; then, finally, a TQ (so much easier using a TQ designed for a hammock than using a sleeping bag as a quilt, plus it lightened my pack another few more ounces, too!)...

...then a Cuben tarp was 'calling' me (from HG)...

Of course(!), there was also DutchWare here and there throughout, along with making Amsteel whoopies, Zing-It/Lash-It tarp lines, Prussic loops, etc., plus various 'little' things from AHE and others...

As my load got lighter and smaller, naturally I 'needed' a smaller/lighter ULA pack, too(!)...

Next will be a ZPacks breathable Cuben jacket...

Then, after that...........

Careful - it truly can become an addiction!! Watch out for those sneaky 'pusher' cottage vendors hanging out around every HF corner!!
    I actually blame my 'addiction' on the big wigs of the hammock cartel, not the pushers - JustJeff - his website I stumbled across started it all, reinforced by Sgt. Rock as I searched further, then Hammock Forums, Shug, and all the other HF 'enablers' out there - you're all to blame... It's really not MY fault!
    Is there a Hammocks Anonymous group meeting nearby?

But, honestly, a big "Thank you" to all of you here at HF for "elevating my perspective" and keeping me 'high' on hanging...
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon, too: UQ before TQ.

I started with using my old Thermarest for a few months, then I added an UQ. Such a huge difference in warmth and comfort! I used my sleeping bag or a fleece bag, depending on the temperature, for over a year. I just bought a TQ, and I get to try the combo out this weekend! Really looking forward to it.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it; we go to smooth it." -- Nessmuk

Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 102, Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HH HexFly 70D
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WhoOPIE Slings
    A thread like this wouldn't be complete without a differing opinion, would it.

I also traded in my blue pad for an UQ before making my own top quilt this past summer.

In hind sight, I would probably do things differently.

My reason for getting a TQ first is due to weight and bulk. I'm no gram weenie, but I am trying to keep my pack size and load as small and as light as possible.

When I traded in my blue pad for an UQ, I saved some bulk, but only about 5 oz in weight. However, I was still required to pack along my bulky, 4+ lb sleeping bag.

Had I gone with the TQ first, I would have saved over 3 lbs in weight AND reduced the bulk of my pack.

Since getting rid of my bulky sleeping bag, I have been able to purchase a smaller, lighter pack which reduced my load by almost another 4 lbs. In all, by switching to a TQ instead of a sleeping bag, I was able to reduce my total weight by 7 lbs.

Just my two cents.

Hammock
    Dutch Chamelion
    Tarp
    Housefly, Sock
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 Down
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    UQ's rock!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    McCat Ultra
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    Images
    I've been hammock camping over ten years. I bought an UQ and loved it. Bought a 2nd one and love it too. Never have gotten around to buying a TQ. I keep using my 20 degree down bag opened like a quilt.

Don't argue with the alligator until after you cross the river.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12