Long-time hanger, first time poster

(So, this post started off as a repsonse to the "First Time Hanging" thread, but then it got longer and I figured it fit better as an intro. Howdy, y'all!)

Let's see, first hang... I would have been in high school, I think. Parents bought a Home & Garden Store special, one of those metal pipe hammock stands and a bridge hammock made out of some kind of vinyl mesh. We put it in the backyard and everybody took turns trying it out for a few minutes, and that was mostly it.. for the rest of them. I, however, was hooked and kept coming back for naps. Unfortunately, the summer sun here is serious business and it was really too darn bright and hot for me to stay out very long- until I finally decided to take the plunge and spend the night. No tarp, no bugnet, no underquilt, just a heavy canvas/flannel/cotton sleeping bag and a pillow from the house. It was easy, and it was awesome! One night turned into two, which turned into a week, which turned into the rest of the summer and on into fall. Didn't quit until I got caught out in the rain one night.

I did backyard hammocks on and off again for years after that, but I don't think I started camping in one until about 10 years ago. I haven't been in a tent since then, except when my wife comes along.. she doesn't like me to leave her in the tent by herself.

Last hang was about a month ago at a boat-in only campground with my brother and his buddy, both in tents. It was VERY windy on the lake that night, but we managed to find one spot where the hillside cut it down to a manageable level.. but there was only enough flat space there for their two tents. Lucky for all of us, I don't need a flat spot. It did rain a little bit, and I did bring a tarp along just in case, but I never got it out. I was in an Eno DoubleNest and I just rolled the extra fabric (man, there's a ton of it on that thing!) right over the top of me, that was enough to keep the (admittedly light) rain off. Got a terrific night's sleep, and also a ton of badass points from my brother's buddy, who was impressed I could just sleep out in nothing but a hammock with no tent. Which is funny, considering he was sleeping on that cold, hard, lumpy ground under his tent, and after doing all that work (it took him a while) to set it up. My spot was much more cushy, and easier to set up in the bargain. The way I see it, I'm the softy and he's the badass in this situation. I didn't tell him that, though.

Hammock
    Whichever is in my pack
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Welcome to the forums!
    "The way I see it, I'm the softy and he's the badass in this situation" had me lol'ing =]
    “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”Ralph Waldo Emerson
    --Guessing Emerson didn't practice Leave No Trace

In Nature there are neither rewards nor punishments, there are consequences. -- R.G. Ingersoll

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Welcome......Glad to have ya here!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images

Long-time hanger, first time poster

Welcome to HF from Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by chapmage View Post
    Welcome to the forums!
    "The way I see it, I'm the softy and he's the badass in this situation" had me lol'ing =]
    Hey, a local! Burney's awesome, I always used to stop at Wiggy's if I found myself out there. Sad day when it closed down.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. Great story!
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

• + New Posts