WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    ...Currently I'm considering a tarp that's kind of a postage stamp, but has 14" tall beaks on either end, but is only 70" wide...
    I don't know what tarp you're referring to, but I'm thinking the "beaks" will be self defeating when used with a hammock.

The hammock's suspension limits how low you can hang the tarp and the beaks will hit the suspension lines requiring the tarp's ridgeline to be higher than the same tarp without beaks. This raises the lower edges of the tarp causing increased exposure to wind and blowing rain.

Forget the above if the beaks have a provision to pass the hammock suspension through their tops.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Here's a video from an AT thru-hiker (Loner), who used a Tadpole for his trip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTft2mLI0k

PS: Wilderness Logics now offers "doors" for the tadpole.
    Last edited by Gravity; 10-27-2013 at 11:55.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Wow! you go to work and look what happens!

Thanks for your input everyone! It's good to get the perspective of people who seem to have the same comfort level as I do.

The beaks on the considered tarp has holes for the suspension, so it's close in... all the time. And it's cuban so only 4oz.

I think I'm going to take VictoriaGuy's advice and try out a few scenarios with some blue tarps (shaping into different tarp configurations) once my freebird arrives, just to really get a sense of my comfort level vs. practicality.

I think being in Canada is also making this decision more difficult (shipping is not cheap); I don't want to buy the wrong one and make this drag out longer and more expensive than it needs to be. I want to get out there and hang!

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    Super fly
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    strap and buckle
    If your a bigger guy you may want a little bit larger tarp to be able to give yourself some room to move about under it. I also like a little bit larger one for the very rainy days when all you can really do is sit under it and eat top Ramon and read. Just some other things to consider.
    Cummins powered.
    Gear: superfly tarp gt double hung from whoopies and an eno bug net.
    WBBB XLC under a super fly

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I'm also in the camp (pun intended) of the bigger is better when it comes to the tarp. My tarp is 12' by app. 10' (2 fabric widths minus the cat cuts) plus full doors.

My DIY tarp takes up a lot of real estate but I never have to worry about high winds off the lake driving the rain sideways - I like to choose the lake view when I can!! I also have lots of room to move around inside the tarp to do stuff. I can keep my pack inside and take my camp chair in with me at night. It sits beside my hammock so that my shoes go in it (great for late night forays to the closest bush). I can sit in the chair to change clothes and put on my braces and shoes.

It appears that you're considering cuben which will be great for the weight (much lighter than mine). I chose Sil not only for the cost but also because it's not darn near transparent. Most of my camping is done with groups and privacy was an issue with me.

Definitely play with the blue tarps but maybe keep in mind that rain coverage isn't the only thing that the tarp is used for.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Personally, I've been cutting weight here and there for about a year and an half now. I went from a giant 10' x 12' Hennessy Hex tarp, which kept me dry in everything, to a tiny 9'5" wide by 11'4" long asym diamond tarp combined with an undercover.

My experiences: the undercover/poncho and tiny asym tarp saved me ~1.5 lbs over the bigger tarp. On the other hand, it doesn't give much in the way of space to do things other than sleep. Cooking under it in any kind of serious rainstorm is a challenge, especially if there's blowing wind. Changing to and from the poncho is easy enough without getting really wet (you're going to get your legs wet either way; but, if you're not careful, you can get your shirt wet from going too far out from under the shelter of the tarp). Setting up and breaking down under the tarp can be challenging if you don't have snakeskins or a lazy slug tube (or something similar), as your hammock is vulnerable to blowing rain until you get the poncho/undercover on it.

All of that leads to my estimation that this is a great set-up for temperatures above 50* F (in other words, summer for most of North America) or conditions below that without much chance of precipitation. I wouldn't recommend it for cooler, stormy weather.

For that, I'd probably want a tarp about the size of the Tadpole; it seems to be the ideal dimensions for having just enough space underneath for camp chores. Especially if you couple it with a poncho to act as a beak for one end.

YMMV.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Yeah, and I know I'm being anal about this, but I don't want to go through a few set-ups before settling on something that makes sense for me. I think patience is the key here.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly View Post
    If your a bigger guy you may want a little bit larger tarp to be able to give yourself some room to move about under it. I also like a little bit larger one for the very rainy days when all you can really do is sit under it and eat top Ramon and read. Just some other things to consider.
    I think our needs might be very different. Ha ha!

I'm a medium sized woman, who prefers small and cozy in the rain and chances are very high, I will not be eating in my hammock. And, too, chances are very high, if it's not a total downpour, I'll probably be hiking, since I find hiking in the rain calming. I also don't bring books camping. If it is pouring too hard to hike, I'll be sleeping; the pitter patter and the fresh air does that to me. I also don't stay in one place for more than 2 nights, even that's pushing it.

But who knows? Maybe hanging will change me?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post

It appears that you're considering cuben which will be great for the weight (much lighter than mine). I chose Sil not only for the cost but also because it's not darn near transparent. Most of my camping is done with groups and privacy was an issue with me.

Definitely play with the blue tarps but maybe keep in mind that rain coverage isn't the only thing that the tarp is used for.
    Thanks. Since I camp solo the majority of time, I tend to forget about the need for a little more privacy at times. Of course with my tent, it's never been an issue, just the lack of ease in changing has. Although, that's why I was thinking of this smaller one, and then just add to it with sil/poncho; it wouldn't show everything... not sure.

-------------------------------------

At least I'm being honest with myself, in that I admit I don't know anything regarding tarps. So the resulting size in relation to its varying configuration, just isn't clicking. On the ground it's easier to envision, but up in the air and over a hammock.... I find even videos deceiving, because some of these guys are so big and make the tarps look small or vice versa! I definitely need to see it in person.

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    I'm 5'-10" and weigh 175lbs. No issues with sagging, no noticeable difference in tarp coverage.

I have used the Hennessy with stock tarp in some real frog-drowning downpours, here in LA, in TN (Smokies) and in upstate NY (Adirondacks). The 'secret' to making that tiny diamond tarp work is site selection. When you're back in a thicket like you ought to be, the wind has no impact on your setup. All that matters is overhead cover. The trees break the wind, and ALL the rain falls straight down. At this point, all you do is tip the tarp slightly to one side and it ALL rolls off. Again, site selection is critical. Bad site, poor results.

I think the reason you might be seeing a move to larger tarps is twofold. One, most folks aren't backpacking their hammocks that far, and don't mind carrying a few extra ounces for the increased coverage they get. Two, as hammocks have become more popular, I think many of the 'new' users are a less-experienced group, unable to get consistently good results from the small diamond tarp due to their inexperience in site selection. Getting burned a few times on a 1-2 overnight weekend trip sours them on the experience, and they simply opt for the larger tarp.

And maybe there's a third reason... Maybe some folks can't associate a good rain-resistant hammock site in the middle of a thicket with the pastoral scenes "good campsite" brings to their minds (open field with a view, room for a fire, next to the water). This latter scene/site is most definitely NOT going to help you when it rains.

Choice is yours. Small, medium, or large. I finally settled on the OES McCat Standard for most of my trips... It's small enough to pack well, large enough to cook a meal under without undue difficulty, and you can ride out a rainy day under it without feeling claustrophobic. When I'm doing a 'hard' backpacking trip, I revert to the Hennessy stock diamond.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12