HH expedition ; BB double layer
    Tarp
    hh hex WB Supr Fly
    Insulation
    .5ccf speer s.p.e.
    Suspension
    variety

Double tarp in cool weather

I sleep in a HH expedition with the small fly attached most of the time. In cold or very rainy weather I rig the small tarp to fit very close sort of like a supershelter. Then hang the Hex fly as I see fit based on wind and moisture. I have found this a very good solution for helping in cold weather. The hex makes a good wind break and water defelctor. and the small tarp just sort of seals thing up a bit. This seems to provide a warmer enviroment in the HH.

The reason I bring this up is many HH have the little tarp on anyway in their snake skins. If the weather is warm and the rain falling prerty well straight down this is enough. But by just tossing the hex on top of this set up, a whole new world of options opens up. It just seems so easy. I was wondering if anyone else was doing it.

Thanks
    How many time have you heard.......? "nice hammock what about when there are no trees?"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by caddoguy View Post
    I sleep in a HH expedition with the small fly attached most of the time. In cold or very rainy weather I rig the small tarp to fit very close sort of like a supershelter. Then hang the Hex fly as I see fit based on wind and moisture. I have found this a very good solution for helping in cold weather. The hex makes a good wind break and water defelctor. and the small tarp just sort of seals thing up a bit. This seems to provide a warmer enviroment in the HH.

The reason I bring this up is many HH have the little tarp on anyway in their snake skins. If the weather is warm and the rain falling prerty well straight down this is enough. But by just tossing the hex on top of this set up, a whole new world of options opens up. It just seems so easy. I was wondering if anyone else was doing it.

Thanks
    Your idea is a very good one.
    This is the same concept that others (non-HH users) use in colder temps...instead of the stock tarp, they use mulitple fabrics and mostly DIY designs...overcovers, weather covers, top covers are some of the names.

Again, it is a good idea...beware of condensation if you don't leave any ventilation
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I've used my HH stock tarp as an overcover of sorts, draped across the ridgeline underneath the tarp. It works well to block the wind that gets under the tarp, and keeps a little warmth inside the hammock.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images

:)

I pretty much do the same, at least when going solo. When group camping, one of the tarps ends up being used for "social area", usually the HEX.
    Is your HEX Poly or Sil.? I really wish they were lighter , thought, specially the HEX (mine both are poly, uv coated).

Other nice way is the mod to use the stock diamond fly as undercover. Another nice option when you have both tarps.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

Thumbs up

That's a good idea - using the little, itty bitty stock HH tarp underneath a larger tarp for warmth and better coverage from wind/rain. Thanks for posting this. Never seen anyone mention this combo.

• + New Posts