Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swinglow View Post
    New hanger here! I have a Claytor JH on the way and from the sound of it I definitely want to change the suspension. I want to keep the weight as low as I can, but also need to keep the cost down.

I've been doing quite a bit of nosing around on here and other sites. It sounds like the preferred lightweight setup for at least some of you is Spyderline/rings/tree huggers. I was heading that direction, but $25 for 50ft of Spyderline is a bit rich for me!

What would be the next best option for cord that is a little cheaper?

Also, If I go with heavier cord, would it be just as good to use webbing? I'm not sure what the weight difference is between the two.

Thanks.
    I have used the Harbor Freight 1500 lb polyester webbing on their whath ya call it ( truck load ratchet straps). One end just costs a few bucks for 15 feet, you will have to cut the ratchet off. And you'll need a short piece of strong cord from the hammock to some rings or cinch buckles. Works perfectly.

However, I still use the stock Claytor webbing on one end with a No Net. And I'm well over 200 lbs, and my son is even bigger. And he uses it on both ends. Neither of us have had any problems, though several folks here have had. It is supposed to stretch bad, but no problem with us. It is probably about the lightest approach, and no extra money is involved.

It does wick water into your hammock like crazy, no doubt. But a couple of simple knots on each side near the hammock has worked perfectly for us to stop the water.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    However, I still use the stock Claytor webbing on one end with a No Net. And I'm well over 200 lbs, and my son is even bigger. And he uses it on both ends. Neither of us have had any problems, though several folks here have had. It is supposed to stretch bad, but no problem with us. It is probably about the lightest approach, and no extra money is involved.

It does wick water into your hammock like crazy, no doubt. But a couple of simple knots on each side near the hammock has worked perfectly for us to stop the water.
    I have had the same experience with the claytor webbing. As long as you hang with some sag its really all you need. I havent used the claytor webbing in the rain yet but per your posts I have a couple of half hitches tied just before the hammock material.
    I have switched my claytor JH over to rings/webbing more out of convenience.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I have had the same experience with the claytor webbing. As long as you hang with some sag its really all you need. I havent used the claytor webbing in the rain yet but per your posts I have a couple of half hitches tied just before the hammock material.
    I have switched my claytor JH over to rings/webbing more out of convenience.
    Glad to here I'm not the only one who has not had trouble with the Claytor webbing. It has always kept me and son boy up off the ground. Though it sure will soak your hammock in a rain without those knots. Although, just like with other webbing, if you rig up with rings or cinch buckle and keep them under the tarp, that should stop the water fine all by itself, even without additional knots. Though I suppose the overhand knots would give some extra assurance, and they cost/weigh nothing.

The knots work great with the narrow and extremely flexible Claytor webbing, but I don't know if it would work with Speer type webbing?

The main complaint we have had with the Claytor webbing is, as my son put it: "It's like trying to work in a field of Velcro"! It really likes to try and stick or attach itself to the trees and bushes, or so it seemed.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-18-2009 at 07:26.

That "Harbor Freight" idea is a good one. I may do that if I run out of time to get another system put together before my backpack trip the end of the month.

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    If it helps I just posted this for something else but its how I get my hammock up.
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Thanks for the pic. I will probably end up with something like that for this first trip out at least.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12