Hammock
    DIY dbl layer Gathered end
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps & RB

Backs of my legs are sore after a night in the hammock.

Hello all. This is a question that I have been meaning to ask for sometime now but haven't gotten around to.

Usually during the night in the hammock I wake up because my legs are sore. Usually in the back. I would assume this is because I have the end of the hammock too high and there is nothing supporting the backs of my legs.

My question is, how do I combat this? I was thinking about a structural ridge-line but I don't know if that is the answer. If it is can anyone give any advise about how to adjust the ridge-line to avoid this in the future?

If more info would help let me know and I can fill any any details that might be pertinent.

As always thanks,
    lost
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The calf ridge pressure is common in gathered end hammocks. A few strategies are used by members here. The first is to put something under your calves like a sit pad or spare clothing. The second thing you can do is hang the foot end higher than the head end to move your centre of gravity and allow for more material between you and the the gathered end. Third, make/use a longer hammock. Many people that have complained about calf pressure in 10 foot hammocks report much less if any pressure in 11 foot hammocks.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Take a look at tothewoods.net and look at the "w" whipping. A slight modification on where you put the inside point of the w can make for a very comfy hammock with no "calf ridge"( never understood the term myself). This method I describe is what I use on my bias and I get no sore calves in the am from my knees being hyperextended. Take a look at this wonderful artwork below to see what I mean. The orange lines are a rough estimate of where my paracord whipping goes relative to the location on the material itself. I think this should solve your problem but there is a bit of playing around if you want it perfect.

And hang the foot end higher by about 6"-1ft and you will be set up for success.

Oh and pillows leg positioning and side sleeping can combat them but that's too much tossing and turning for my liking. Good luck!
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; RB
    Thanks guys! I'll look into maybe retying the whipped ends. As well as, checking out the link.

lost
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    The foot end being higher makes a big difference for me. More material between the foot end and my feet makes a flatter and more comfortable position. Gravity works to keep me pushed toward the head end. My knees can actually ache if I don't get the hang right. If it is right, I sleep really, really well and awaken refreshed and renewed.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I get the same pain every time unless I put a pillow under my knees, especially my right leg. A stuff sack with extra clothes will work, or an inflatable pillow.

Images
    And of course, for an end to worrying with all this, a bridge hammock. Which of course has it's own problems. Pros and cons.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY

I committed to sleep a week in the hammock at home so I'd sleep well on the trail (road as it were). After 3-4 nights all discomforts were gone, and the bed felt strange.

Hammock
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; RB

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    And of course, for an end to worrying with all this, a bridge hammock. Which of course has it's own problems. Pros and cons.
    You had me at bridge hammock! Man o man I can hear my wife rolling her eyes from here.

Sounds like I need to grab the hammock out and try some different elevations etc and see if I can't get this straightened out. Seems like a pillow or stuff sack would be the easiest solution, but I can't stand the thought of fighting that in the hammock.

lost

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    And of course, for an end to worrying with all this, a bridge hammock.
    Or Ergo....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast