Pad Wings Question

Hello guys!

So I'm going on a 5 day hike where it might get around 32 F at night. I've camped at that temp but back in my ground dwelling times.

From what I've read and thought about my question is: 24" wide full length pad vs 20" with homemade wings at the shoulders but down to the knees?
    or guess full length 20" with wings?

I'm just trying to save weight and bulk but don't want to be cold either.

I'm using a 30 degree bag as top quilt.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    It depends. If you are a side sleeper and curl up you have to figure in your knees. If you are a back sleeper your shoulder area is the issue. One needs to be completely on the pad including up the sides of the hammock. Any body part where you can compress the insulation will lose insulation. That is why bottom quilts are outside wrapping high. You need the equivalent in CCF pad inside the hammock in places where you are likely to contact the hammock sides and bottom.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Great, thanks for the response I'm a back ssleeper. So 20" pad with wings might be my solution.

Should i worry about a pad in the calf Asta ay these temps? Ill have my legs in the sleeping bag

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Might be a call out for Refletix here somewhere. It's even a bit lighter, and I prefer it for foot and sit pads. If you boil in the bag your meals. Make a Cozy, that rubber bands together so you can unfold it to use as a wing or under your butt.

At 32 about anything you can use to supplement the pad, can work. Shirt, jacket, stuff sacks, can all be viable additions to kill cold spots. Added benefits are you have stuff you need at hand, and as far as the clothes go, they'll already be warm too! I sleep with a 3/4 UQ and generally use my jacket under my calves and feet.

PLUQ is another fairly inexpensive way to help out at those temps, but it's still good to have wings or something else, around the shoulders and hips, where the pads are lacking coverage.

Any or a combination of the above, with proper Top insulation, should allow you a warm night's sleep at freezing. Base layers and Down booties will push it even further.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts