Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I have experienced this with my 1.1 DIY hammock, 2 BIAS hammocks and my Darien UL hammock. I believe it is something that is unavoidable with that light of a fabric. Your best bet will be to whip the ends like AndrewB suggested. Disclaimer: I am towards the weight limit of these fabrics at 190. Although I was only 160 when it was happening to my first BIAS hammock.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 w/net,Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch

Diy

I've made several single layer 30d gathered end hammocks..I usually do the whipping method shown on DIY gear supply-larks head around the fabric rather than thru the end channel. I made a new 30d last week and used the sewn end channel whipping method-stress directly on the stitching...9 stitches per inch, #70 needle and light thread tension...Attached is a photo i took after 4 overnite hangs inside the house..I checked the stitching under a 10x mag loop and there are No Fabric tears, open stitch holes or any Stress marks at all..And i used a Double row of stitching NOT Triple..I weigh 145#..Remember To:

Make sure you use a Small Needle (#70 or less) on 20-30d fabrics and a lower upper thread tension-No puckering of the fabric should be seen on the finished seam.....If so the tension is Too High! Cheers
    Also remember the Hang Angle is a big factor on stress at the suspension attachment point-Notice in Papa Smurf's pictures the nice deep sag he has.....

PS- Under 10x Mag you maybe surprised at just how rough looking some of the even "1st Quality" fabrics appear..some 2nds are Really scary...But to date not a single fabric/seam failure on any of my stuff..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fortran42; 10-29-2013 at 06:42. Reason: Text Added

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by fortran42 View Post
    ...Make sure you use a Small Needle (#70 or less) on 20-30d fabrics ...
    The needle size should be selected to work with the thread diameter being used. Not according to fabric weight. A needle pushes the fibers aside rather than punching holes.

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    I dint know a whole lot about sewing machines and needles and whatnot I just know how to make them work and tension and whatnot, my needle I beleave says 16? Idk if that's good or bad but has always worked for everything I have made.

See I like sewn gathered ends because of the appearance they look more dressed IMO that's a big reason why I don't like other methods of gathering hammocks. Well since some of you are having issues with yours doing this and some aren't I guess the only thing I could try is thread adjusting on the stitches.
    It would be nice to have a nice light hammock but now I'm a bit of a sceptic on this issue now lol
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    ... my needle I beleave says 16? Idk if that's good or bad but has always worked for everything I have made...
    If you have never changed the needle, put a new needle in. If you have ever had a needle strike while sewing the point may be damaged and breaking some of the fabric's fibers instead of pushing them aside. Needles are a wear item that needs to be replaced frequently.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    If you have never changed the needle, put a new needle in. If you have ever had a needle strike while sewing the point may be damaged and breaking some of the fabric's fibers instead of pushing them aside. Needles are a wear item that needs to be replaced frequently.
    What he said. Also, if working with nylon or polyester ripstop or taffeta like this (as opposed to some other fabrics), use a "Sharp" needle (sometimes called "Microtex"). This'll help it slide between the fabrics easier than an "Universal" needle (which suffers from the Jack-Of-All-Trades syndrome).

Personally, I prefer the Knotty/Warbonnet method of whipping, for its idiot-proofness (with me as the idiot).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I can appreciate choosing the sewn channel method because you like the way it looks but is it really worth getting dropped? HYOH but don't get hurt.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 w/net,Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch

Fabric Weight

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The needle size should be selected to work with the thread diameter being used. Not according to fabric weight. A needle pushes the fibers aside rather than punching holes.
    Most sewing machines and needles will work with a variety of thread diameters within reason..the larger thread diameters can cause difficulty with bobbin feeding on home stlye machines. You are saying Fabric Weight has nothing to do with needle selection? Really. Try sewing 1000 weight cordura or leather with a 60-70 needle-it will break the needle. I can however sew 1000 weight cordura with tex 35 or 50 thread easily with a 90 or 100 needle. Sorry, the Fabric weight DOES play in needle selection..Heavier fabrics like leather or denim require larger,stonger needles regardless of the thread that is used. On the subject of needles- Universal type needles work fine for most of the DIY Projects on this forum..Stretchy fabrics such as elastane or lycra work better with ball point needles...Cheers
    Last edited by fortran42; 10-29-2013 at 17:56. Reason: Added text

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Yah I have and do change the needles quite often but have never had this issue until messing with this fabric. At this dinier.
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I can appreciate choosing the sewn channel method because you like the way it looks but is it really worth getting dropped? HYOH but don't get hurt.
    Nawh it's not worth getting dropped that's why I'm using some nylon I found out 70d holding great! But just wondering what had happened with is fabric on here.
    Paragon Fury

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast