Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images

Video Trip Report: VT > Bourne Pond > Dec 8-9 2012

Yukon, Hunter, and I decided we needed a weekend in the Piney Woods, so we hiked out to Bourne Pond near Stratton Mountain in Vermont.

The hike in was relatively easy and a short 3 miles or so. There were plenty of stream crossings and beautiful scenery to look at. The weather was about 38°F or so and we had an intermittent light rain. The trail has about ½” of snow in places, but was mostly clear. The logs crossings tended to be a little icy and the rest of the trail had an ice crust over mud, but it was pretty easy going.
    We arrived at Bourne Pond to slightly foggy conditions that came and went during the afternoon. There were plenty of perfect spots for single hammock setups with amazing views! It took us some time however, to find a great spot to hang our setups close together for some social time and a view. I think we did pretty well, as my video should show.

We set up our hammocks and tarps, and then spent the next hour or two gathering a substantial supply of fire wood, most of which was soaking wet. It took us quite a while to get the fire going, but with the ample supply of Birch bark that was lying around, we managed to get quite a warm fire started and burning through the evening. There was plenty of evidence of non-respectful campers that were there previously as proved by all of the hack marks, axe gouges, knife marks, and fully bark-peeled birch trees in the local area around the pond. The irresponsible camper managed to kill many of the Birch trees, which was why there was so much bark laying around and wood available to us from the dead and toppled trees. It was a shame to see so much needless destruction.

Once the fire was going, we decided dinner was in order…I brought garlic and herm marinated sirloin steak to cook on my new Dutch Grill, and mashed potatoes for dinner. I completely filled my Emberlit Ti stove with Match light charcoal, lit it off, and waited for the charcoal to be ready to cook on. I found that other than the first side of the first steak, that about 5-6 minutes a side was perfect for the steaks, and that a Emberlit full of charcoal can cook 4-5 steaks cut to about 4”x4” before the need to add more charcoal. It worked perfectly!

We went to sleep in calm conditions, but about 2:00am, the wind kicked up with some pretty strong gusts. I was rudely awakened when one of my stakes pulled free and my hiking pole that was being used for porch mode suddenly slammed into me and I was splashed with all of the water the rain had left on my tarp! So, I got up, reset my stake, put both poles under my hammock, and pulled the side of my tarp a little lower…that did the trick! No more problems the rest of the night.

Hunter woke us up to a clear and mostly sunny morning with a great view of the pond. We set up our “kitchens”, had coffee, and cooked out respective breakfasts. Next, we packed everything up for our hike out…but not before I got a chance to try out Yukon’s WBRR. I have to say, having never been in a bridge hammock before, I was surprised by the comfort, flat lay, and mostly, the view that can be had from the WBRR. There may be another new hammock in my future!

We took one last look at Bourne Pond, and then started our easy hike back to the parking area. We were all sad to leave; it had been an enjoyable weekend.
    Please enjoy this video/slide show of our trip. Thank you for watching. The video works best in 720p HD.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by raiffnuke; 12-10-2012 at 09:35.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Ahh yes, it was a good time! Is it really Monday already and I'm back at work??

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Looked like a good time. Wish I was able to go out with you guys.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Any signs of moose?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    Any signs of moose?
    Interestingly enough, we never saw any moose scat anywhere. I have hiked through this area before and always seen tons of it, and have seen a moose in a nearby area. I have even read a couple trail reports of people seeing them in the area recently...but we didn't. Just wasn't our weekend for seeing them I guess

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    I was in southern VT back in October and was dissapointed in the lack of evidence too. I know they are there.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I have seen a lot of tracks but never the animal up there.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Great one!
    Jealous of your DutchGrill....meat looked wholesome I tell ya!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    They are all over the Lye Brook wilderness (where Bourne Pond is), I have seen them many times. This was actually the first time being in the area that I didn't see any signs of them. When we were hiking out Raiffnuke saw some fur that looked like it had been rubbed on a tree, which could have been either deer or moose. Hunter was growling at something very early in the morning, which is a time when they are active, so we thought there could have been one nearby. But, with having Hunter with us, the chance of seeing one slims down for sure lol

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Great one!
    Jealous of your DutchGrill....meat looked wholesome I tell ya!
    Raiffnuke can cook some steak on the trail! I didn't realize he had brought enough for both of us, and it was a total treat. We definitely ate well

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast