Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome from Kingston, ON. Take lots of pictures on the WCT. I've heard it's quite a trip.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Sierra Sniveler
    Images

FOG/Mist/Dew

I was wondering the same thing. I plan to make a few trips out here on the Northern California cost and camp near the ocean. I camped last year about 100 years from the cliffside and on a beautiful clear night. I had debated putting on the rainfly on my t3$&t but I'm glad I did. When I woke up, the fly was soaking wet from the fog and mist that occurs overnight/early morning. I'm a little more worried now with a hammock since it is more exposed to the air and I imagine the fog sneaking in light a raccoon soaking me. I hope a gear sock isn't the only answer....
    I still need to add an under quilt and tarp to my setup.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware

new (and damp) from Vancouver Island

Hello from Western Quebec.

What about an under quilt protector? That combined with a Superfly should keep everything dryish.

Cheers

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Will try out the superfly first, see how that works with mist... if I manage to snag a misty night again. Usually winter weather where I am is rain, not mist. Told the wife Superfly is what I want for Christmas, with links to boot.

With closed cell foamie I'm not too worried about underneath. I may just DWR the hammock and see how that works out, but the superfly should take care of things if pitched correctly. Don't have the budget for proper under/overquilts, and weight is a big concern for long trecks. Might make some underquilts out of cheap sleeping bags and try that for comfort before investing in a proper one, but that's for next year.

Been interesting reading about hammock sizes. I'm 6'3", but a side sleeper mostly, plus I was already using my camp pillow between knees or under legs before I even found these forums. Would love to be able to try out a longer hammock before I spring for one, didn't realize I was above the designed height for my HH expedition, but it makes sense with minor discomfort issues.

Hammock
    The Ninja (HikingDad Special)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    NF Down DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome and have fun, learn much, keep hangen

Hammock
    hh Explorer Ultralite Asym Classic
    Insulation
    diy UQ,
    old thread but how did it all work out? i am planning the same trip and had a very wet first experience this fall camping on the top of a mountain. woke up at some very dark time of the night thinking my fly had come off and it was raining but in reality the heavy mist/cloud was blowing in hard from one side and condensing on the bug net then falling on my face when it shook in the wind. both my sis and i woke up with very wet and cold down bags. haha not the most successful first time out but we made it. i would love to hear your experience on the trail

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome! I did not see your initial post. I know what you're talking about. Its the low clouds coming in off the Pacific laden with moisture. I've camped in the Chuckanut Mountains (just south of Bellingham) as well as along the Straits of Juan De Fuca. Same problem. I took photographs and the moisture was so heavy (with the flash), that it made the focus off at times or like a white fog with glittering diamonds was between me and the subject. Woke up in the morning and the UQs were somewhat wet, as well as the hammock.

Increasing your tarp size will not help. Part of your moisture problem is the pad. When I sleep on a closed cell pad, I get sticky sweaty in the summer. Less of a problem with an inflatable pad. Best to use an UQ. You may even want to consider a synthetic one (although the pack size is much bigger) or one made of Dri-Down (feathers treated with water resistance).

There's a great trail running video on Youtube, where two guys cover the trail in a day. With a pack, you might want to get a cuben fiber tarp, like the ones from Hammock Gear, which includes the doors. If you pitch it low to the ground with the doors shut, it will eliminate a lot of the moisture passing under the tarp and soaking up your gear. The tarp is much lighter and will not absorb the water that a silnylon tarp will have.

The other thing would be to set up camp earlier each day and hopefully put your gear out in the sun to dry out. If you hang the UQ separate, (like a clothes line), it can air dry faster.

Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12