Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Expedition

new (and damp) from Vancouver Island

First time poster here from the Wet coast of Canada

My wife and I both have been wanting to do the West Coast Trail for quite a few years now, and recently have started gathering the proper gear. Only problem is my wife is not a tenter or camper, which is how hammocks came in (and it only took me 30 seconds in hers to decide to order my own). Our plan for the WCT is September 2014, so I have a little time to experiment still.

We've only managed 3 nights camping in hammocks last summer, though I've used it a dozen times since when visiting relatives, as bed space seems to always be short with bigger gatherings.

A week ago I had a small practice for the WCT, as the weather was very misty with a lot of dew (but no wind added to the mix yet), about 7C (47F?). I found my bedding got very wet, and am hoping for advice.

First night: no problems, seemed dry in the morning.

Second night: realized I had moisture between sleeping bag and pad as I went to bed (assuming perspiration). Hadn't let the bag air out throughout the day. In the morning (2nd night) the inside still felt dry, but my outer blanket was very wet all around.

My setup is as follows: hennessy expedition with stock tarp, I had tarp ridgeline about a foot above netting ridge line with a very wide spread (hammock was 6" off ground, so wanted headroom to get in.. trees didn't allow higher hammock). Marmot trestle 15 (synthetic, rate to 15F) bag, plus synth silk liner. US military poncho liner wrapped around sleeping bag (this is what got soaked). Zotefoams (blue foam) sleeping pad.

I was fairly cosy, but never really too hot, and didn't get too cold. I'm hoping it wasn't all perspiration that couldn't evaporate due to high dew point. I've used this setup for heavy dew nights (but minimal mist) before, but was under a roof (woodshed) and didn't have the problem.

So a question.. would a tighter fit on the tarp help keep the dew/mist at bay? Are there easy fixes like a bigger tarp strung closer to the hammock and steeper down to the ground, especially once you add wind?

My goal is to keep it light, and not too expensive (been eyeing the siltarp 2 strung to the ground to keep wind at bay, vs smaller options like the Tadpole), but need to figure out how to keep dry in mist/wind/rain during a 7 day hike. If it's just poor top quilt material for the poncho liner, are there good alternatives? (it is very attractive - cheap, light, fluffy, big, versatile and dries quick)

I have browsed a little in these forums and seen that some people have hammocked the WCT, but most of the talk revolved around hanging points, with nothing covering gear combos.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / JRB UQ
    Images
    Welcome!

I'm a ways North of you on the Central Coast of BC.

You will find the information you need here for sure, glad to see a little wetness didn't scare you away, the coastal rain/mist/fog can be a bit of an issue.

Cheers

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

new (and damp) from Vancouver Island

If you are camping in the crazy fog we had in Langley everything will be damp. My buddy uses a bivy bag inside his hammock to keep dry but I find that super uncomfortable. Wct trail is no joke, good luck and remember great boots (Viberg in Victoria) are your best friend.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    you can always try Lost Biker's Gore-Tex sock for the hammock. will be warm though. you can also try a tarp with doors. if you are planning on down gear, you will need the treated down otherwise the life of it will not be worth the cost. unfortunately I have no hammocking experience in heavy fog, just heavy rain and soon cold. and very cold.

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Welcome from Massachusetts!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I don't think you can keep dry but you can manage your moisture a lot better.

I'd start with closing up your setup as much as possible. You need to minimize air exchanges to limit the amount of water vapor available while retaining as much heat as
    is reasonable. Probably also want a bigger tarp. I'd also use my over cover.

You also may need to dry out your system on your lunch break. That is assuming you will get up and get out in the mist but it will clear off during the day.

FWIW - that is why I like the bottom entry hammock. I can lock down the setup without worrying about how to get in. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Thanks all

Would a larger tarp be enought to manage the moisture or should I be looking at a bivy or a sock? Gore-tex socks seem to weigh 2.5 lbs, I'm hoping a much lighter option can do the trick.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lythe View Post
    Thanks all

Would a larger tarp be enought to manage the moisture or should I be looking at a bivy or a sock? Gore-tex socks seem to weigh 2.5 lbs, I'm hoping a much lighter option can do the trick.
    How about a HH Super Shelter to replace your pad? it will probably add 19 oz to your set up minus the weight of the pad or partial pad you leave behind.

This should do a better job of keeping fog out than even a large tarp. Though you might need the top cover to keep fog off of your top insulation. Maybe 3 or 4 more oz. Works well for some folks.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    The pad is light, and the minor condensation on the pad isn't a problem especially compared to a very wet top quilt.

Going to be interesting convincing the wife I 'need' a superfly that costs as much as the hammock.. and then she'll want one too

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I'd go with something bigger than the stock tarp because you will also be dealing with rain. I would want doors on at least one end. YMMV. An over cover would add 3.5oz and further limit air movement.

I would also use a pad cover with 200 or 300 weight polar fleece on the body side and nylon on the back. That lets the pad breath a bit or hides the condensation. With fog the real issue is how damp you get not whether or not you will get damp.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast