WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

Why use a hammock

I believe he took the hammock out to showcase to stove. Either way there are several here that have made those and they most likely be popping up soon now that the weather is turning colder.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL/ HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Depends on Weather
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Cool (pun)-- I'll keep my eyes peered open for them.

This is one is what use -- the stove fits nicely inside that bucket. and it pulls effortlessly on the sled.
    Last edited by GIHanger; 11-01-2013 at 18:32.
    Nothing I do is done by popular demand.
    Steve Martin

Man if you can't find a flat spot for 10 miles you should be using anything other than a tent! Hammocks are great if there are plenty of trees but even a tarp can be used un uneven ground better than a tent.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    GIHanger, no disrespect meant earlier or now, but, I was pointing out that your views are shared by others and yet others don't share it.

It all depends on many factors including experience in both tents and tarps (which include with and without hammocks).

Your calculations on the UQ and SB...is the SB opened(1 layer) or closed(2 layers) to add up. The UQ will have only the 1 layer to measure. I use a synthetic UQ I made over summer and still use my SB on top, so I still use more layers for my insulation.

Earlier, I was only pointing out that a UQ would be the bottom of the SB and a TQ will be the top of the SB. It's not exact, but close enough to help in comparision. What I like is that the UQ is not compressed since it is below the hammock and my weight isn't on the insulation making it easier to stay warm, IMO, since I don't have to worry about balancing on a pad.

Also, I love the hot tent/tarps. I've been looking at them since last winter. Don't really need them here in Florida, though.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    W L Ol Man Winter
    Insulation
    EE Rev X-JB Nest
    Suspension
    Stock BB buckles
    I am an extreme side sleeper/tosser/turner/ fetal postion....Still sleep this way almost all the time.....first time in a hammock was also first time I ever slept on my back....Woke up at sunrise ( big orange ball low in sky ) looked at it for awhile, fell back to sleep....opened eyes a little later and there were creatures flying between the trees in the air...they were making music.....music I had heard before.....these creatures flitting about seemed to be creating the music...watched a while...closed my eyes and dozed a little longer....the music played on.....For me, that is "Why A Hammock ?".....Was on the Buffalo River, near Rush,AR.....the river was playing the Rythmn section parts to the strange creatures melodies....I was off the ground, floating on air, and could see the entire orchestra...or close my eyes and take it all in....Either way, it was gorgeous....

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    @lollygagger - great description, this is one of the sleep quality aspects of a hammock - the ability to wake and to go back to sleep so easily. I always found that to be a longer interruption of sleep in a tent.

@GIHanger - apologies for the jabs, I did realize I was getting a bit childish and is why I edited my post with a note to not take it too seriously - the point being that you weren't exactly wrong, but you had presented an oversimplified viewpoint that flies in the face of why this site exists to begin with. We got opinions like this all the time on Whiteblaze and it led to these sorts of arguments where things would get a little out of hand when two stubborn sides stood their ground. Thus, the need to form HF to move discussions forward.

I take offense to the notion that I was "bending the truth" for the sake of making my point on the 2 quilts vs. bag/pad. I suggest that you read up here a bit more to find out why that is not the case. Your view of reality does not have to be the same as mine, but I do think a dose of humility might serve you well in when discussing hammock matters.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 11-04-2013 at 23:04.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345