DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Indoor UQ: Olddog style

I was looking for some ways to make an indoor UQ and Olddog came to the rescue. He patiently talked me through the process and now I have a toasty-warm, sewn-on UQ. I made it last night...finally got to sleep around 2 as I really, really wanted to try it out.

It is sewn onto the sides of the hammock and the ends are left open for venting if needed. The ends have channels sewn and paracord run through to gather them up. They can be loosened to vent. In my house in the basement, it kept me toasty warm last night. It gets down to around 60.

It is made from polyfil quilting batting and an old sheet that i cut up. Took about 4 hours from start to finish.

Thanks Olddog!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Glad it worked for you Syrrka. Looks good.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Looks cool! Perhaps we'll have to start calling those indoor, sewed on quilts, Underdogs?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Looks good! Are there instructions on this? I assume that the UQ would need to be cut and sewed on like the 2nd layer of a double layer hammock to work?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    hutzelbein, there aren't any exact instructions on this indoor UQ. Being that it is used indoors and with polyester batting specialty fabrics aren't needed. As Syrrka said an old sheet will work. Mine and I assume Syrrka's used strips of sheet about 2 " wide on top of the batting to sandwich the batting while sewing the grid pattern. This was to keep the batting from hanging up on the presser foot and to help keep the stitches from pulling through the batting. During our discussions my thought was that using a full piece of fabric under and over the batting then pinning and sewing would be easier. Then hemming the sides and sewing the end channels. Finally sewing the UQ to the hammock on the sides. As you can see in the photo it isn't a full length UQ like a double layer but is open at the ends so supplemental insulation can be inserted. Another item we discussed was the draw strings in the end channels. I used 2 large buttons tied to the draw string on the front edge as stoppers and cordlocks on the back edge for opening and closing the ends. My hammock is laundered every week or so and has been in use now for around 2 years and the batting is beginning to get a little worn. Will probably be making another one before long and intend on enclosing the batting as mentioned above. Give me a shout if there are any other questions.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts