Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    have you checked out a heetsheet? it's thin ocf (1/32") laminated to a reflective vb. pretty light, around 2 oz/yd
    Expand what a "HeetSheet" is for us if you can - I found these online

http://www.marathonblankets.com/solutions.html

These apear to be like those foil survival blankets you can get at sporting goods stores.

I remember as a kid I had a "survival blanket" that was nylon on one side, a thin batting of some kind and quilted foil on the inside. Made a good lite duty ground blanket.

Edit: I found that "Space" blankket - http://www.rei.com/product/407106
    Last edited by kellyk7; 05-29-2009 at 12:10.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyk7 View Post
    I remember as a kid I had a "survival blanket" that was nylon on one side, a thin batting of some kind and quilted foil on the inside. Made a good lite duty ground blanket.
    That's very similar. Here is a HeatSheet.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

That Might be better as a DIY base than the one I found - as it has not got the lace and grommets and other stuff to deal with, plus 10.00 cheaper

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I have some Tyvek I used as a ground cloth. I was thinking about trying that hammocking this weekend hoping it will work for mild temps.

Hammock
    Clark NX200
    Tarp
    Clark RX200
    Insulation
    in process
    Suspension
    Bone stock Clark
    I was wondering about using the REI Space blanket KellyK7 mentioned, actually, that very one & then came here looking to see if anybody has tried it.

Please bear in mind I am a noob and have only just placed my order for a Clark. UPS is still a fair ways off & I am scouting for what I need to complete the kit. Lows right now are in the 60's and 70's & was thinking of using the two polarfleece bag liners I have used for tent camping in the past (double layered) but now with the space blanket between the two layers. Of course inside a tent the polar fleece had breathability . . . what concerns should I have about condensation?

What I have been using is like two of these: fleece bag liner one inside the other. Add a space blanket or don't bother? Please help this newbie.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Macx View Post
    I was wondering about using the REI Space blanket KellyK7 mentioned, actually, that very one & then came here looking to see if anybody has tried it.

Please bear in mind I am a noob and have only just placed my order for a Clark. UPS is still a fair ways off & I am scouting for what I need to complete the kit. Lows right now are in the 60's and 70's & was thinking of using the two polarfleece bag liners I have used for tent camping in the past (double layered) but now with the space blanket between the two layers. Of course inside a tent the polar fleece had breathability . . . what concerns should I have about condensation?

What I have been using is like two of these: fleece bag liner one inside the other. Add a space blanket or don't bother? Please help this newbie.
    Take a look at the weight of your proposal..... Those liners are quite heavy... Times two.... plus a SB to manage....And they do not compress much.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Clark NX200
    Tarp
    Clark RX200
    Insulation
    in process
    Suspension
    Bone stock Clark
    Yeah, I know I am sounding like a total newbie . . . is compression good for keeping me warm or is it just a bulk/weight thing? What I mean is, is this a bad idea for reasons once deployed or only a bad idea because it'll eat pack space and weigh in pretty heavy for carrying?

I am in an evolution from car camper to motorcycle camper, and this light weight thing hasn't had time to brew full strength in my conciousness yet, so I am encountering a learning curve.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???
    It's good for pads to not compress when they are under you, but in the case of fleece, it comes down to packability. I have a homemade fleece liner that is almost as big and very near the weight of my 30* bag.

Taking two fleece bags will definately eat pack space and weigh in pretty heavy for carrying. You would probably be better off with a decent Mummy bag (some can be quite small depending on needed temp range, and then some sort of bottom insulation depending on your new hammock. I'm still new and figuring this all out as well.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    Macx if you are getting a clark and its still only down to 60 wouldn't just putting extra clothes in the under pockets be enough under insulation?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

Hammock
    Clark NX200
    Tarp
    Clark RX200
    Insulation
    in process
    Suspension
    Bone stock Clark
    I don't know. UPS says my first hammock is "In transit/ on time" and will be delivered on the 30th. I kinda wanted to go a little overkill with stuff to stay warm with. .. for my first hang. Reckon I can always remove stuff if I get out there and find myself too warm, but I want to avoid getting out there and not being warm enough. My last bout with hypothermia is still pretty fresh in my mind & it was a pretty bad one. . . . granted it was an early spring motorcycle ride that got delayed until I lost too much daylight, but I find myself wanting to err cautious rather than cold. Glad to hear the Clark with stuffed pockets will probably be enough. Reassurance is nice, as I am radically altering my camping style with this move to hammocks. I have never actually even seen one in person. . . closest thing would be the tent-cots Cabela's sells (and those look cool for car camping but don't pack small enough for motorcycle) and I have only seen those in the show room, otherwise it has always been a traditional tent in some diverse form.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast