HH Exped / DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X10
    Insulation
    JRB Grey3/HR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Cargo Trailer Hammocks

I set up at local Gun Shows in Michigan. I bought the Cargo Trailer to carry the stock, and to save on hotels. So far I have used cots inside. But with the two cots I have, they don't leave any room to walk between, and leave very little space for gear.

So I am thinking of hanging a couple of hammocks inside. This will get two of us off of the floor and leave room for others on the floor. The walls of the trailer probably won't handle the load of two 220lb guys hanging. So I am thinking of using three 2X4's for vertical support, one center front in the V-Nose, and one in each back corner. This should give me about 11' of ridge line. At the top of the 2X4's I am going to run a piece of tubing, conduit or fencing top rail. A modified Turtle Stand.

Pics to come when I figure it out.

Here is my current set up when by myself.

Last edited by Jeff Kindy; 10-31-2013 at 08:18. Reason: Add pic
    Making memories of the sights, sounds, textures and smells of nature to create A Sight to Remember...

A Sight to Remember's Facebook
    A Sight to Remember

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Your modified stand idea should work no problem. Even another 2x4 could act as a ridgepole. If you hang (e.g. eyebolts) in the edge of the 2x4 verticals, you should only have to anchor the top and bottom of the 2x4s. They'll flex less in this configuration. The ridgepole could be closer to the ceiling to give more headroom. A simple way to hang the ridgepole would be to ziptie it to the ceiling bows.

Now just cut a hole in the floor for "bizness" and you're good to go.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Ya'll must be a "tight" group...That's some close quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kindy View Post
    I set up at local Gun Shows in Michigan. I bought the Cargo Trailer to carry the stock, and to save on hotels. So far I have used cots inside. But with the two cots I have, they don't leave any room to walk between, and leave very little space for gear.

So I am thinking of hanging a couple of hammocks inside. This will get two of us off of the floor and leave room for others on the floor. The walls of the trailer probably won't handle the load of two 220lb guys hanging. So I am thinking of using three 2X4's for vertical support, one center front in the V-Nose, and one in each back corner. This should give me about 11' of ridge line. At the top of the 2X4's I am going to run a piece of tubing, conduit or fencing top rail. A modified Turtle Stand.

Pics to come when I figure it out.

Here is my current set up when by myself.

Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X10
    Insulation
    JRB Grey3/HR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    Your modified stand idea should work no problem. Even another 2x4 could act as a ridgepole. If you hang (e.g. eyebolts) in the edge of the 2x4 verticals, you should only have to anchor the top and bottom of the 2x4s. They'll flex less in this configuration. The ridgepole could be closer to the ceiling to give more headroom. A simple way to hang the ridgepole would be to ziptie it to the ceiling bows.

Now just cut a hole in the floor for "bizness" and you're good to go.
    Pretty much my thoughts too.

For "Bizness", since most of my "camping" will be in Arena parking lots, will be a Transmission funnel and hose through a small hole in the floor. For other bizness and the ladies is a Portable Loo with kitty litter. It works!
    Making memories of the sights, sounds, textures and smells of nature to create A Sight to Remember...

A Sight to Remember

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X10
    Insulation
    JRB Grey3/HR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    We are mostly family. I mainly do the shows by myself until recently. An upgrade in trailer size may in order.

A Sight to Remember

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think you will find it interesting to try to hang hammocks high enough to let other people sleep under you. I would go to pipe berths stacked bunk bed style. They can be set up to fold against the wall. If you do it right you could have two bridge hammock equvalents that way instead of two berths. YMMV
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I think you will find it interesting to try to hang hammocks high enough to let other people sleep under you. I would go to pipe berths stacked bunk bed style. They can be set up to fold against the wall. If you do it right you could have two bridge hammock equvalents that way instead of two berths. YMMV
    That's a good idea.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X10
    Insulation
    JRB Grey3/HR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Well it worked! I went to the gunshow this past weekend and set up my DIY form front center to rear corner. My whoopies prevented me from getting the set up short enough to hang it right, but was close enough to sleep in. The first night was also my first with quilts. A 20*F Mount Washington and a 20*F Hudson River TQ. I was sweating! Second night was perfect. There was frost on everything Sunday morning so it got cold. I never got a chance to get pics since I had to take it down both morning to access the trailer.

I did find a strong enough point to hang from in the rear. There is a hole perfect for a ratchet strap hook to attach. In the front there is a T-bar for the ceiling which I hooked into. Strong enough for one, but leary about hanging two. So I will put in a 2X4 brace to support it.

A Sight to Remember

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    sure would like to see pics of solutions that end up working

my cargo trlr is getting crowded, w/ bunk & m/c

since BIG BEND is one of my destinations & trees are dern hard to come by, hanging in the trlr sounds like a plan

sw
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X10
    Insulation
    JRB Grey3/HR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I will get some pics when I put in the support for the front and pics of the back two points where I hook in to.

A Sight to Remember

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast