Clark North American
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling

Ridgelines or No Ridgelines and the Elusive Diagonal Lay

Hey Clarke Owners and friends!

Two burning questions about the Clarke that I have to ask this community:

1. Do you use a ridgeline? I currently have a ridgeline on my North American, it runs through the loops on the top of my weather shield, keeping the bug net just a bit off my face as a lay. I am planning on making a mod soon: by cutting a small hole (and then sewing around it for protection, possible with some extra sil-nylon) through the fabric at the head end and another at the foot end, I could have the ridgeline be internal; it would be inside the weather shield and bug net and offer storage options as well as increased roominess in the hammock. I'll post pics here if and when I get around to it (I'll need some help on the sewing!)

2. How do folks like to lay in their Clarke? I am able to get a very slight diagonal, which seems to provide the most comfort I've found, but I'm no where near as flat as I'd like to be! I am unsure if a ridgeline removal and a taught suspension would improve my flatness; what do other folks do? How do you "dial in" your Clarke for maximum comfort?

Thanks all!

Cosmic Camper

EDIT: Grammar teachers: please excuse my run-on sentences

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I use an internal ridgeline, but only to hold an organizer. I guess it does also hold the netting up but it is not really needed for that with the hoops on the model I have. I use Amsteel for my ridgeline so that I have an extra piece of suspension or tarp rigging if needed without carrying something extra.
    I hang my Clark rather loosely and am able to get a pretty good diagonal lay.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I don't use a ridgeline on my NX-250. When properly rigged the hoop-supported ends sag slightly but straighten up when the hammock is under load with the user's weight. The inner head end pocket and holster hold small vitals and the grab loop can secure a small stuff sack. The outer pockets underneath are easily accessible when lying inside the hammock. This all adds up to a ridgeline just getting in the way for ingress & egress.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I use an internal ridgeline, but only to hold an organizer. I guess it does also hold the netting up but it is not really needed for that with the hoops on the model I have. I use Amsteel for my ridgeline so that I have an extra piece of suspension or tarp rigging if needed without carrying something extra.
    I hang my Clark rather loosely and am able to get a pretty good diagonal lay.
    ^^^^^^This

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopee Sling
    The netting issue is the main thing for me - the north American doesn't have the hoops so netting can be a problem. A solution I've used successfully is bringing 3 or 4 small, light bungee cords that I can use to connect the bug net to the tarp. This keeps everything up nice and high!

Thanks for the insight folks!

I have a ridgeline in my nx250 that only goes from top of hoop to top of hoop, it has a short piece of shock cord on one end and a mitten hook on the other. This is for hanging my glasses and a small led light. I am so accustomed to it being there that I don't notice it. Oh yes, I sleep in this thing every night, at home or away.

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    I installed an internal for hanging storage organizers. Works fine an no trouble getting in and out of the out of the hammock.

I have about thirty night with a Klymit insulated air pad and have no trouble with the head end staying place. The front portion of the pad does slip but I slip a little silicon will take can of that. I am liking for ideas on how to make a series of about 3 inch wide for the entire uper wall where the gun pouch is. Not sure how to do that and not weaken the hammock. Ideas appreciared.

I do have the bag hanging from the grab handle but that tends to end up in the center of the bag with me sleeping on it.
    Paul or Sarge or Hawk; anything but Sue!

Bless all of those who go voluntarily into Harm's Way on our behalf, whether they wear Blue, Red or Camo, and all of those who wait for them each night not knowing if.....

• + New Posts