Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I believe we're creatures of habit. When we break from our evening/sleeping routine it registers with our mind and our mind starts thinking about how we're not in our bed or it's too early etc. All of this serves to keep us fidgety and awake. Same thing happens when I travel on business; it can be hard to sleep well in the hotels.

So first off; I realized I was going to be way earlier while hiking than I would at home; that difference makes a difference subconsciously. So, try to stay up later.

Light and Dark; we produce a hormone when it gets dark that helps us sleep:
    Melatonin is a natural hormone made by your body's pineal (pih-knee-uhl) gland. This is a pea-sized gland located just above the middle of the brain. During the day the pineal is inactive. When the sun goes down and darkness occurs, the pineal is "turned on" by the SCN and begins to actively produce melatonin, which is released into the blood. Usually, this occurs around 9 pm. As a result, melatonin levels in the blood rise sharply and you begin to feel less alert. Sleep becomes more inviting. Melatonin levels in the blood stay elevated for about 12 hours - all through the night - before the light of a new day when they fall back to low daytime levels by about 9 am. Daytime levels of melatonin are barely detectable.

You can actually buy melatonin and take some 20 minutes or so before you try to go to sleep; this might help and is probably better than regular sleeping pills. I've also found that I can take a low dose of Benadryl, Nyquil, etc. but I don't like doing that and sometimes, the medicines seem to have the opposite effect and can actually make it harder for me to sleep.

Different sleeping position; not much you can do there; a hammock feels a lot different than my bed but I'm not going to sleep in a hammock all the time. Not much I can do here other than to make sure I’m warm enough; getting the quilts positioned well so you don't have to fiddle with them all night and having enough insulation to keep you actually warm enough helps too.

Alcohol; many will suggest it; however, alcohol can actually make sound sleeping more difficult. On the flip side; avoid any caffeine after the morning hours

Clothing; I think this can make a BIG difference. I think many of us tend to wear a lot more clothing in a hammock than we do in bed at home. It's a big difference that can make a big difference in our sleep. I normally hang in my cloths and a fresh pair of socks, however, when I strip down to just my underwear and a t-shirt, I tend to sleep a lot better. Belts, tight socks, too many layers that are constricting, things in the pockets; all of it can make us less comfortable and make it harder to sleep. I think it's worth the hassle to strip down provided your set up is warm enough.

Music; I've found that an IPod shuffle, the really small one, is about the best way to take music into the woods. It ways next to nothing and you can load it up with eBooks, podcasts, and music. If you are having a hard time sleeping you can listen to an eBook or sometimes some soft relaxation music can help.

Food; surprisingly, too large of a meal before heading to the hammock can also make it harder to sleep. Better to eat a while before sleeping or eat lighter.

Exercise; it can actually be harder to sleep immediately following strenuous physical activity. Most experts don't recommend you work out too close to bedtime for this very reason. I've experienced this when I hiked for a long distance and rolled into camp late. I ate and headed to the hammock thinking I'd easily fall asleep but experienced just the opposite. Now I always try to give myself some time to relax in camp before heading to bed; it helps me.

Ear plugs; I've tried them but found not being able to hear more distracting than hearing the sounds of the woods. Again it's the differences between our normal sleep area and being in the woods in a hammock that makes it hard to sleep. My wife always has a fan on so when I hit the woods I miss that sound. I once slept in a very secluded valley and it was the quietest night I've ever experienced in the woods. No insects, wind, nothing. I didn't sleep well at all until I put in ear buds and listened to some music.

TV/Videos' some folks take smart phones and watch a movie or downloaded video. That kind of mental stimulation can actually make it harder to fall asleep unlike a book; weird but true. So you can read a book on a smart phone but then you have to wonder if the "light" from the electronic device messes with the production of melatonin. Some say it doesn't have the same effect as daylight does.

So....I try to stay up later, not go to bed stuffed or over medicated. I have music to listen to if I want to and I try to strip down to a comfortable layer of unrestrictive clothes. I make sure I have more than adequate quilts so I don't have to deal with chills and cold spots; another reason why I quickly gave up on messing with pads. I'm convinced anyone will sleep better with quality quilts versus any pad set up.

Expectations: I no longer expect to get a perfect night’s sleep when I head out to the woods; especially on the first night. I realize it's just way different but I've found that with a few changes in behavior I can consistently get good night’s sleep.

Hope this helps
    Gideon
    Last edited by Gideon; 11-08-2013 at 12:00.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by camoxjeep View Post
    I've tried melatonin and that doesn't work for me.
    I had the same experience at first. It took me a good number of tries to figure out the right dose.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    As far as being wakened from a deep sleep in the hammock in the woods. It has only happened once and ended up being an Armadillo poking his nose between my shoulder blades.
    Looking forward to hearing this story next spring.

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Embrace it. I enjoy waking in the night and seeing the clouds whipping by on a moon lit night. Then take a nap during the day.
    You sir are a genius. The answer to the problem is that there is no problem in the first place
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    straps and whoopi
    Melatonin....comes from a pea size gland in a persons brain!........Has anyone actually stopped and thought... how the hell do they extract this stuff? Now think about the fact that your injesting something that came from another persons brain... Can you say Hannibal Lector! just my thought on that subject!

Its funny how we all love to go hiking in the woods, and discover natures beauty during the day, listening to birds chirping, seeing that trout jumping out of the water to catch that fly...then... 10pm rolls around, you realize its dark...whats changed? absolutely nothing, theres nothing in the woods during the day, that isnt there at night time. it sounds like some people may just be afraid of the dark.
    Sure theres a shift change of animals, but my feeling is... youd be more likely to get attacked by a sleeping animal during the day( just cause you woke him up and startled him) than you would by the same animal at night(there only looking for food and dont see humans as a food source)
    Remember that trip wire with noise makers tied to it that you wanted to put up? what happens when a large buck hits it and freaks out... he takes off as fast as he can right towards you......RIP my friend!
    Yep. the very things that drive us into the woods during the day... scare the crap out of us at night... or so it seems, theres a mis-diagnosis there... bottom line is....your afraid of the dark!

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    1st night for me is always difficult with new sounds and sensations.
    The following nights are better, but I never sleep as soundly for a long a periods through the entire night like I do at home. Agin- the new noises other campers snoring and such,

BUT- I do wake up feeling more rested and not as achy or sore as fromin the bed.
    That's just me.
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    There are a lot of other alternatives to melatonin.
    Benadryl or dramamine knocks some people out.

L-Tryptophan, GABA, 5-HTP, Phenibut ( β-Phenyl-γ-aminobutyric acid ) work for some people as well.

The GABA and phenibut give me some really wild dreams, so you might want to skip them since you are already waking up with a gun in your hand.
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon383 View Post
    Melatonin....comes from a pea size gland in a persons brain!........Has anyone actually stopped and thought... how the hell do they extract this stuff? Now think about the fact that your injesting something that came from another persons brain... Can you say Hannibal Lector! just my thought on that subject!.................

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin
    Melatonin has been identified in many plants including feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium), St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum),[3] rice, corn, tomato and other edible fruits.[12] The physiological roles of melatonin in plants involve regulation of their response to photoperiod, defense against harsh environments, and the function of an antioxidant. The latter may be the original function of melatonin in organisms with the others being added during evolution.[13] Melatonin also regulates plant growth by its ability to slow root formation, while promoting above ground growth.[14]
    Melatonin has been reported in foodstuffs including cherries to about 0.17–13.46 ng/g,[15] bananas and grapes, rice and cereals, herbs, olive oil, wine[16] and beer.
    When birds ingest melatonin-rich plant feed, such as rice, the melatonin binds to melatonin receptors in their brains.[17] When humans consume foods rich in melatonin such as banana, pineapple and orange the blood levels of melatonin significantly increase.[18]
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/940.html
    What is it?
    Melatonin is a hormone found naturally in the body. Melatonin used as medicine is usually made synthetically in a laboratory.

Hammock
    Dutch Chamelion
    Tarp
    Housefly, Sock
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 Down
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    I just turn on my light and read when I can't sleep.
    I cant tell you how many times i have woken up in the morning with the book
    laying on my chest and not remembering falling asleep.

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch &amp; WBBB setup
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon383 View Post
    Its funny how we all love to go hiking in the woods, and discover natures beauty during the day, listening to birds chirping, seeing that trout jumping out of the water to catch that fly...then... 10pm rolls around, you realize its dark...whats changed? absolutely nothing, theres nothing in the woods during the day, that isnt there at night time. it sounds like some people may just be afraid of the dark.
    Sure theres a shift change of animals, but my feeling is... youd be more likely to get attacked by a sleeping animal during the day( just cause you woke him up and startled him) than you would by the same animal at night(there only looking for food and dont see humans as a food source)
    Remember that trip wire with noise makers tied to it that you wanted to put up? what happens when a large buck hits it and freaks out... he takes off as fast as he can right towards you......RIP my friend!
    Yep. the very things that drive us into the woods during the day... scare the crap out of us at night... or so it seems, theres a mis-diagnosis there... bottom line is....your afraid of the dark!
    Your 100% wrong, its whats in the dark Just kidding of course, I guess all in all its the dark. I do sleep with a fan at night at home for the fresh air feeling and white noise.
    In a hammock I do sleep in the buff, I stay warmer that way especially in the morning putting on dry clothes (I tend to sweat with clothes on at night). Dont worry I wont be selling any of my hammocks (at least not on here now).
    I have tried Meletonin, went from 2 pills to 3. It does help me go to sleep but after I have to use the restroom I'm doomed. I usually have to go about 3 times at night which is why I now limit to drinking anything 2 hours before I go to bed (thats funny because my wife used to tell the kids when they were smaller no drinks before bedtime LOL).
    I'll have to try some other things and really get at peace with being in the dark all over again, never had a problem in the army at all, of course others were around.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456