Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Picking the temp of a quilt? What range?

I plan on purchasing my first top and bottom quilt. I cannot decide on a 40 or 20 degree rating. I do not expect to ever be anywhere that is below 20 degrees probably not even 30 degrees. Most likely the 30 to 60 range. Will I be excessively warm in the 20 degree quilts when it is in the 50 degree range. Do you intentionally create gaps to allow some heat out? I have only been out in the backyard a few times with blankets until I got cold. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I searched but couldn't come up with much. I'm a newb.
    Thanks
    Tom

Senior Member Sleepytime Gorilla Sack's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO DN, WBBB 1.9-1.1, GrandTrunk UL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Ready Straps
    Unless your super worried about pack weight / volume, I would definitely opt for the lower temp rated quilts. Especially the UQ.
    IMO the TQ is less of a issue but 20F over and 20F under is right-on in sustained 40d nights. It is easy to regulate body temp by letting some extremities hang out and the UQ can always hang looser or off to a side.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    One thing about a 20* range quilt set is that it will make you feel a good bit more confident to try colder outings. With that said, you can easily be comfortable with the 20* quilts in warmer temps. My strategy was to begin with 20* quilts knowing that I would most likely buy other sets later which I did in both the 40* & 0*.

Can't go wrong with either decision. The biggest motivator for me to buy a 40* set was that I was trying to get my pack weight down to under 10 lb base but I'm certainly glad to have them now.

David

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    I own a 20 deg top quilt and use a pad for bottom insulation. I used this quilt in late August in northern Minnesota with overnight lows in the 50's and wore shorts and a tee shirt and vented the TQ and I was not too warm. You can always vent and remove layers in warmer weather and still have the security for lower temps as well...
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    20°! I started with a 40°, and while it's nice to have on warm nights, the 20 is much more versatile. I wish I started with a 20 and then got a 0°. I really don't want to buy a third UQ but it may come to that.

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    +1 on what others have said. I was recently out on an over night retreat, and I had a 3/4 JRB 20* UQ and a Snugpak 45* sleeping bag on top. I also had a reflectix coated CCF pad under me and was quite warm down to about 40. I was wearing underwear and a base layer long john (lightweight, not heavy duty winter weight LJs) set, with socks on.

I've now got two TQs that will keep me snug-as-a-bug warm that are rated 5-15 and 40*. I'm also going to get a 0* UQ later this winter.

two 20's or 20/40 should keep you comfortable to any temps you're currently planning on as long as you're smart about your clothing. light to heavy layers, socks (down or wool) and a head cover if needed and you should be good to go.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    All comments right on the money, we recommend a 20*F set to start as it will be the most versatile and you'll make sure you are warm if caught out on a night that gets colder than planned. Later add a 40/50* set for warmer weather and then if you ever venture out in the cold of winter UQs can be stacked as can TQs nested providing a system in the 0* range.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    ...then if you ever venture out in the cold of winter UQs can be stacked as can TQs nested providing a system in the 0* range.
    I never really thought to stack them. I'm heading north in January and becoming a bit worried about not having a 0° UQ. I don't want to invest in one since I don't get out enough to justify the $$.

I have a 20° and 40° Incubator, so I'll try stacking them when I get home! I had a feeling they would interfere with each other or cause some type of sagging issue making it worse than just one. Am I over-thinking that?

Maybe set up my 20° as usual, then loosely hang the 40°, then my UQP to hold it all together?

It will be a heck of a lot of volume to pack, though. My 20 has +1oz and my 40 has +3oz

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    I had this same question.. my solution was to buy a 20*F UQ - and then get a summer TQ (40*F) and a 20*F TQ. This combo covers most all of my outings since the UQ can easily be vented, hung loose, or moved aside altogether.

All my quilts are JRB... they offer some good packages on TQ/UQ combos.

Good luck.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

Get a 30* Quilt

What I would do is get a 30 degree quilt. I use my 30 degree set in the exact range you mentioned. Most makers will accommodate a custom build. Get exactly what you want. It does take time to figure out what you need. A lot of it comes from asking questions here but it really comes down to you trying it for yourself In the conditions that you experience.

I wish I had known that all I needed was 2 sets of quilts to cover all my hammocking needs when I stated. Would have saved me $$. I will use my 0* set from anywhere 0 to 40* and my 30* set from 30 and up.

Good luck in choosing your set.

S

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast