Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark Rainfly XL
    Images

Question New River Trail, VA First Hang?

Well we finally have some good weather here in SW VA so I want to take advantage of it and get my first hang in. I've already taken my new Clark NA out today to get used to hanging/taking it down so I think I'm ready to sleep in it for a night

The idea is to hike along the New River Trail and go somewhere off the trail near the river. I'm planning on parking in Allisonia SW of Claytor Lake at a public parking lot there with access to the trail. Then I'm going to take the trail SW and try and find a spot between Allisonia and Barren Springs which has some pretty wooded areas along the river and stretches about 6mi between the two.

The only thing I'm unsure about right now is whether or not I'm allowed to camp out along the river or if I have to camp at one of the designated campsites along the river. I'm just doing one night and I don't want to be in a campsite or have to pay money for one night. If I can't do it on the river I'll probably just head somewhere in the Jefferson National Forest which is also in my area. I need to find out how cold I'm gonna be at night with the gear I've got atm

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    What are you using for under insulation??
    The other thing I've noticed when camping in one area, the camp site nearer the water was cooler. Maybe it's just more humid but it felt colder.
    My last trip the weather was forcasted to be mid 40's the first night. I packed my smaller exped down short mat for under insulation and my summer down quilt that I made (rated for 40degrees) The weather turned colder and the next morning it was registering at 38 degrees. I wasn't cold but I was chilly under my feet and behind my neck due to the short mat. I also found out that the figures I used to make my quilt were very close to what I can use it at. I think I could use it for colder temps with more insulation under me.
    Do you have some time to sleep in your hammock in your yard first?
    And as far as being able to hang/camp where you want, I always call the ranger first if it's a place I haven't been before. And then if he tells me something I don't like, I just find another area to go camping instead.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I've camped at Foster Falls campground, on the island there (Baker Island Campground), nice and secluded. You can pretty much walk across the river to it too. Just a thought.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark Rainfly XL
    Images
    Well I walked the trail last week to check it out before I did anything and it seems like alot of the land around the trail closer to the river is private property Oh well, I did end up finding a cool spot along Cold Water Creek across from pandapa's pond. It's right in the Jefferson Ntl. Forest too so it's all fair game along the creek.

I'm planning on camping along the creek this thursday for my first hang so I'll take pictures.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bernc3 View Post
    I'm planning on camping along the creek this thursday for my first hang so I'll take pictures.
    Looking forward to seeing them. Have fun!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts