Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeShazo View Post
    Should have gotten a Blackbird. What? All you Blackbird owners were thinking it. Just kidding SarahGirl. Any hammock has to beat sleeping on the ground. Good luck with tweaking it out.
    Well that's what I'm thinking, love the weathershield and the pockets on the Clark yet I wish that I had waited a bit longer until the BB came out. Oh well It's still better than the HH with it's annoying entry/exit method.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I was also out hanging this weekend at a Cub Scout event. 200+ cub scout, with their parents and siblings plus staff and I'm the only one hanging!!! Trust me, I got quite a few comments.
    Anyways, you were talking about getting the hang right, so far my best advise it to "practice, practice, practice" and use different trees so you get a feel for what that does to change the hanging position of the hammock. This past weekend, by the time I got to camp, all the "tent" campers had set up near all the best trees. They didn't want the trees.... no, just the pretty overhead shade and the cleared out ground. I was left with trees with chest high bushes and briers. I found two decrept looking pines that the undergrowth was only ankle high and had to make them work. My hammock stretched between them with only about 4" left on each side for the rope before it got to the tree. I was able to tie the slip bowline on each side but when I got in it, the stretch put it almost to the ground and on top of the short bushes. Ended up retying the foot side but couldn't get a bowline back into it, used a taut-line hitch. Worked but I still tucked the end line under the ropes going around the tree, just in case. Slept very very comfy but could have wished those two trees had been just a little bit further apart.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Biomed View Post
    Well that's what I'm thinking, love the weathershield and the pockets on the Clark yet I wish that I had waited a bit longer until the BB came out. Oh well It's still better than the HH with it's annoying entry/exit method.

I have them both and still find myself using the Clark. Having two different ways to get out is a plus. like you you said the pockets the weather shield and the material it's made of is what draws me back to them every time. I will more than likely use the BlackBird for a summer hammock when I don't need all the protection for the elements. It is made of lighter material and should be a good one to hang in.

Am I glad that I have the Clarks absolutely,am I glad I have the BlackBird absolutely would I ever get rid of my BlackBird nope in Fact I am saving my money to get another one.

The Clark N series are the best 4 season hammock IMO they maybe a titch heavier but if you don't want to go out and buy or make all the other stuff that needs to be on some of the other it's a great option.

I would not change what I bought for anything. But I am open minded enough to know that there are other options out there and when money permits I like to take a look at other things.

One thing is for sure buying either the BlackBird or the Clark you are buying and supporting a cottage industry that is made in America.

nuff said

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I was also out hanging this weekend at a Cub Scout event. 200+ cub scout, with their parents and siblings plus staff and I'm the only one hanging!!! Trust me, I got quite a few comments.
    Anyways, you were talking about getting the hang right, so far my best advise it to "practice, practice, practice" and use different trees so you get a feel for what that does to change the hanging position of the hammock. This past weekend, by the time I got to camp, all the "tent" campers had set up near all the best trees. They didn't want the trees.... no, just the pretty overhead shade and the cleared out ground. I was left with trees with chest high bushes and briers. I found two decrept looking pines that the undergrowth was only ankle high and had to make them work. My hammock stretched between them with only about 4" left on each side for the rope before it got to the tree. I was able to tie the slip bowline on each side but when I got in it, the stretch put it almost to the ground and on top of the short bushes. Ended up retying the foot side but couldn't get a bowline back into it, used a taut-line hitch. Worked but I still tucked the end line under the ropes going around the tree, just in case. Slept very very comfy but could have wished those two trees had been just a little bit further apart.
    You where in a place that you had to pick the pines to tie to but in the months and years to come you might want to look for some other type of tree's to hang from Pine sap is real hard to get off anything. I am speaking from experience and took a very long time to get it off the ropes and tarp.

Just my 2cents worth

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    think I'm gonna get a seperate stuff sack for the rainfly.
    The clark stuff sack is removed on my UL. I leave the tarp on the hammock but in the storm mode still covering the hammock not dropped down in the hammock. If it is raining when you need to set up just tie up the hammock first, it will be covered by the tarp and you do not have to spend the time centering the tarp to the hammock which is more important on the Clark since tarp pulls up the bugnet.

If you decide to pack tarp seperate from hammock I highly suggest using a ridgeline like RAW describes very well in another post.
    Last edited by hangnout; 04-19-2009 at 11:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Biomed View Post
    You lost me, the BB is already out.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    cavediver, yep know all about pine sap!!! Two of my stakes that I used for the tarp had the stuff on it. I must have been really close to the pine tree roots. If I (when I actually) get pine sap on my clark tarp, is there a way to get it out or do I just have to let it dry and turn hard??

I took my tarp off of my hammock too and added extra line to both the tarp and the hammock. I used different color line, a green for the head end and orange for the foot end. Using the same color for the head of the tarp/hammock and another for the foot makes it easier for me to set them up and figure out which end of the tarp goes on the foot & head. I also used a scrap piece of silnylon from my over quilt project to make a sack for the tarp. I still pack the tarp (in sack) inside the clark stuff sack when the tarp isn't wet. If wet I hang the tarp/sack on the back of my backpack. I'm still working the kinks out of this but so far it seems to be working out pretty good.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPC View Post
    You lost me, the BB is already out.
    When I got the Clark, the BB hadn't come out yet, I was just a few weeks too soon with my order.

Yet I have to point out that the first night I sleeped out in the Clark I was really warm! The weather sheild helps a lot! If warbonnetguy/brandon where to add anything to his BB then some sort of overcover would be highly appreciated.

I believe that I'll like Cavediver2 will order the BB for use as a summer hammock and still use the Clark when the temp goes close to or under freezing. Selling my HHULBA to afford it, just got to find a buyer here in Sweden.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    cavediver, yep know all about pine sap!!! Two of my stakes that I used for the tarp had the stuff on it. I must have been really close to the pine tree roots. If I (when I actually) get pine sap on my clark tarp, is there a way to get it out or do I just have to let it dry and turn hard??

I took my tarp off of my hammock too and added extra line to both the tarp and the hammock. I used different color line, a green for the head end and orange for the foot end. Using the same color for the head of the tarp/hammock and another for the foot makes it easier for me to set them up and figure out which end of the tarp goes on the foot & head. I also used a scrap piece of silnylon from my over quilt project to make a sack for the tarp. I still pack the tarp (in sack) inside the clark stuff sack when the tarp isn't wet. If wet I hang the tarp/sack on the back of my backpack. I'm still working the kinks out of this but so far it seems to be working out pretty good.
    okay this is going to sound stupid but I used one part vinegar one part soapy water mixed together. I used hot water so hot I could barely stand it.
    and it hot been on there for three day's when I got home I hung it up and started washing it. putting one hand under and the other on top washing the tarp. when i was done I took bucket of that stuff and poured on the lines let set for a minute or so and started washing them by pulling away from the tree with a tight grip on wash rag and the rope. And then let air dry and stode it back in it's bag.

When my tarp is wet I use the mesh pockets on my pack to store it until I can get it dry.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123