The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images

First night results

I couldnt find the "sweet spot"

I tossed around most of the night. I don't know if I was too restricted in my bag or what. I most likely needed to adjust the sag. I couldnt achieve a flat lay, and maybe it's not possible in the clark, or maybe I need to use a pad under my legs. I stayed warm though in my duofolds, bag, & Raw's pocket quilts. There were a few cold spots at my legs, but I got into a fetal postion lay, and it seemed to help.

As a ground dweller I would often wake up tired and sore (go figure), but this morning I only woke up tired

I know it's going to take some playing around with it a bit for me to get it right, but I'm definitely sold on hammocks vs tents.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post

I tossed around most of the night. I don't know if I was too restricted in my bag or what. I most likely needed to adjust the sag. I couldnt achieve a flat lay, and maybe it's not possible in the clark, or maybe I need to use a pad under my legs. I stayed warm though in my duofolds, bag, & Raw's pocket quilts. There were a few cold spots at my legs, but I got into a fetal postion lay, and it seemed to help.

As a ground dweller I would often wake up tired and sore (go figure), but this morning I only woke up tired

I know it's going to take some playing around with it a bit for me to get it right, but I'm definitely sold on hammocks vs tents.
    Congrats...I guess
    I too seldom sleep deeply when I'm out. I have the same problem in hotels so its not special to camping...I guess I'm just too much a creature of habit.
    Maybe your issues will improve with more hang time or a different hammock. Experimenting is half the fun!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images

Sarah how many times did you readjust it? to get a flatter lay I hang mine fairly tight. Did you have your sleeping Bag with the zipper facing up? I really don't think that there is a real "flat Lay" in a Clark but there is a pretty good lay. I am sure there will be Clark owners that might give you some help on here shortly so keep checking back.

I tend to sleep in the fetal position at the house and hanging. I dont stay that way for long and I am stretched but most always either in the fetal/or side position when I wake up. I fall asleep most of the time on my back watching my video Podcast or listen to music.

Tossing around is not unusual for you first time out. Remember this is fairly new to you. With practice it will get better and along with that you will get more at ease sleeping in the air. And you if you do in hiking it will be a welcome site and most likely you will be real tired and be able to sleep just fine.

Did you have any problems setting it up? Did you set up tarp first or did you set hammock up first? How was your knot tying did that do alright? Did you pack it back up into its stuff sack and if so how did that go?

Yes I know I am full of questions
    are you a member of the Clark yahoo group if so you might want to post the same post as here over there for those over there to see.

Glad you made it through the night your one up on me because the fist night I slept in the back yard and it was to cold for what I had at that time and I bailed.

have a good weekend.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    where are the picturessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images

I too spent my first night in my Clark recently (last weekend matter of fact), had a hard time setting it up as I couldn't find that perfect amount of sag. Going out again this weekend (promise that I'll take some pictures) for a second hang, hope to get it right.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark Rainfly XL
    Images

I was supposed to do my first hang tonight but my stupid group for a senior term project isn't pulling their weight so my trip got nixed . Well I'm glad that you didn't wake up sore at least, I'm sure it'll take a bit used to till you sleep through the night. I know I'm a side sleeper so it will be a bit of an adjustment with me. However I'm thinking of bring a beer or pocket flask to make the "dozing off" part a bit easier

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    It can only get better from here. Once you find the right sag use a ridge line to help make the set-up consistent. Took me at least 10 nights to get used to hanging, now its the only way I can get a good nights rest.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bernc3 View Post
    I was supposed to do my first hang tonight but my stupid group for a senior term project isn't pulling their weight so my trip got nixed . Well I'm glad that you didn't wake up sore at least, I'm sure it'll take a bit used to till you sleep through the night. I know I'm a side sleeper so it will be a bit of an adjustment with me. However I'm thinking of bring a beer or pocket flask to make the "dozing off" part a bit easier

I am a big fan of pocket flask. Alcohol induced sleep hmmm just remember alcohol also makes you colder. Not saying I have never done that or anything

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Patrick-
    I'm glad you mentioned hanging it tighter...I thought about that actually and it makes sense. I will try that this weekend. Yes my 15* bag zipper was face up. I never got up to readjust. I did that this morning before I took it down. I set up my hammock first using a carabiner on each end and wrapped the rope so as to be able to allow for adjustment(good advice from a member here). I used an easier knot that might have been made up, I'm sure it's not a sarah original, but don't know the name. It held tight and was easy to untie. My dad helped me with that part He doesnt know the bowline knot either.

Tree straps-rope-biner-rope-hammock.

I kept the rainfly attached to the hammock. I didnt tie out any of the lines to the ground either. I got home from work at midnight last night, so basically rolled into it and that was that. It was very easy to pack up this morning. the hammock never touched the ground. just folded right up into itself
    think I'm gonna get a seperate stuff sack for the rainfly.

Also, I think part of my problem was that my bladder woke me up early and I was too lazy to get up to pee. I was kind of resenting the fact that the pee bottle isnt and won't ever be an option for me. I'm sure I would have been more comfortable had I taken care of that when I should have.

Good luck to everyone else. Happy hanging Can't wait to hear the reports.

p.s. I took pictures, but they are far too embarassing to post! Let me work on the setup a little, then I will post some

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    Sarah how many times did you readjust it? to get a flatter lay I hang mine fairly tight. Did you have your sleeping Bag with the zipper facing up? I really don't think that there is a real "flat Lay" in a Clark but there is a pretty good lay. I am sure there will be Clark owners that might give you some help on here shortly so keep checking back.

I tend to sleep in the fetal position at the house and hanging. I dont stay that way for long and I am stretched but most always either in the fetal/or side position when I wake up. I fall asleep most of the time on my back watching my video Podcast or listen to music.

Tossing around is not unusual for you first time out. Remember this is fairly new to you. With practice it will get better and along with that you will get more at ease sleeping in the air. And you if you do in hiking it will be a welcome site and most likely you will be real tired and be able to sleep just fine.

Did you have any problems setting it up? Did you set up tarp first or did you set hammock up first? How was your knot tying did that do alright? Did you pack it back up into its stuff sack and if so how did that go?

Yes I know I am full of questions
    are you a member of the Clark yahoo group if so you might want to post the same post as here over there for those over there to see.

Glad you made it through the night your one up on me because the fist night I slept in the back yard and it was to cold for what I had at that time and I bailed.

have a good weekend.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark Rainfly XL
    Images
    p.s. I took pictures, but they are far too embarassing to post! Let me work on the setup a little, then I will post some
    Not to pressure you or anything, but all the cool people are posting them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast