Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

Foothills Trail Birthday Hike

Doodad, 93AThiker and I hiked a 50mile section of the Foothills Trail last week (10/25-10/29). The section of Burrells Ford via the Fork Mt trail to Laurel Valley was right at 50miles and was what I wanted to celebrate my 50th birthday on the 29th. Unfortunately, Doodad was shorted 12miles as his birthday was on the 26th.

Was a great time on a beautifully rugged trail. Colors were just really starting to turn and there were plenty of leaves still on the trees. Still, there was some leaf drop and I felt like that in some places, a few weeks later and we'd have had some trouble finding the trail. Probably not, but seemed like it could be an issue.

FLRider in his excellent trail report a couple of weeks ago had described some parts of the trail as being designed by a sadistic mountain goat. I have to say that description is not quite accurate. More like a sadistic mountain goat on METH!! But combined with many pleasant flat parts, it was all good.

Here are pics to prove it happened...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scope33...7637268448826/
    Last edited by dakotaross; 11-03-2013 at 22:52.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    4S cuben
    Insulation
    down
    Thanks for posting the pics. It was a pleasure hiking with you pros. I hope to return there for another go. AThiker93 picked out perfect hang sites, and one evening he sniffed out a spot that included a spring just a few yards away, so that was cool.

Had no idea the Foothills Trail has so much to offer and it's challenging, too. Waterfalls, sliding rocks, overlooks, lots of footbridges, a trail surface more-often-than-not easy on the feet - what's not to like? Well, maybe that n*t-buster of an ascent up heartbreak ridge, but it's fun to say I did it gasping for breath at the top of the climb.

Also, we met some forum members along the way: CarolinaRazorback and his sons, MonkeyBoy and NeverReady.

If you want to get in the woods and not feel like you're in traffic like on the AT, by all means check out the FT.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great pictures! Looks like a good time. Happy B-day!

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1 dl, Traveler
    Tarp
    wb mamajamba
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    strap
    looks like a great trip thanks for sharing

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    That's what I did last weekend for my birthday as well. Mine was on the 27th. Great pics thanks for sharing. Happy birthday.
    check out my youtube channel! Trip Reports and hammock talk. - Creekcrossings Youtube channel

My Blog - Creekcrossings blog

Also check out my Facebook page! - Creekcrossings Facebook page

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Hmmm. Looks like the stage has been set. I need to tell my wife that a birthday trip MUST be done at the Foothills Trail. The picture, Lake Jo View 2, is a beautiful shot. Thanks for sharing your trip.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx, Yeti, Rev 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for sharing. Looks like a fantastic way to spend your birthday.
    Aim for the moon, if you miss, at least you will still be among the stars.

Looks like a great hike and you all seem to have had a good time. While you were out doing a meaningful hike, a whole lot of us were camped at the East fork doing what is usually done in such settings, not much of anything. Well, perhaps a few tales were told. We did miss you folks in camp, but truth told, I kinda envied you the hike.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    To piggyback on Doodad's comments, 93AThiker was a real experienced hiker and it showed. His keen eye for terrain helped us pick some nice, wind sheltered stealth spots, and his experience with when to call it a day probably saved me some physical grief on following days. I came out with no blisters, no bad knees, etc. - just a sinus infection, LOL. Not bad for essentially coming off the couch.

Big high-five goes out to my buddy Steve and his wife Debbie. Met Steve at the top of Whitewater Falls on Saturday where he supplied us with Anderson Valley pumpkin ale and Debbie's pumpkin bread for my birthday celebration - actually doodad's birthday celebration since it was actually his birthday. I chugged two of the ales which seemed to be instantly metabolized. The bread made for a great energy boost then, and I enjoyed the other half for breakfast - yum! I might have to take some pumpkin bread on my next hike.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 11-03-2013 at 22:51.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

hang

Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    Looks like a great hike and you all seem to have had a good time. While you were out doing a meaningful hike, a whole lot of us were camped at the East fork doing what is usually done in such settings, not much of anything. Well, perhaps a few tales were told. We did miss you folks in camp, but truth told, I kinda envied you the hike.
    We would have stayed longer, but there were only like 5 people there Friday afternoon. Well, that was after the church group of 20 in full backpacking gear left. We missed seeing everyone and were a little disappointed with feeling like we couldn't stay there when we had said folks could come hike with us, but in terms of where we needed to hike to the next day, we felt we had to get some of those miles done. I'm sure we missed a big fire that would've been sweet that night. Sounds like others showed later to make it a great hang.
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast