Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Cotton/Canvas Winter Hammock Sock

I bought a cotton drop sheet at Lowes and cut it to 12'x9'. It was a 14'x12' originally. They sell an 8'x12' cheaper but I wanted the extra foot on the ridgeline. The sides hang down 6' from the ridgeline and the zipper goes down the middle. I used the Hammock Bliss bug net as a template. It's served me well in mosquito season so I know it's going to fit. The ends have draw cord closures to cinch over the suspension. I might add some grosgrain loops along the ridgeline so it can be taut with its own ridgeline. We'll see how it hangs this weekend.

Finished Sock!

Rolled up. It definitely weighs a few pounds, but I'll likely have it on a toboggan to take it out anyway. I'll give it a try on the weekend and let you know how it cuts the wind and keeps the warmth in the underquilt.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    I'll likely have it on a toboggan to take it out anyway. I'll give it a try on the weekend .....
    Do you have snow on the ground there already? One of the coldest nights I ever spent in a tent was up at BonEcho in late January, not real far from you.

That's an interesting idea. Is the weave loose enough that it won't build up frost from condensation? I'm visualizing something stiff and frozen - Scott of the Antarctic style - but if you are using a toboggan/pulk packed size wouldn't matter much anyway, I suppose.

Looking forward to your report.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Frost is an issue in most hammock socks. I'm going to use a breath bib a la Shug and my plan is to light a UCO candle lantern in the morning after I'm out of the hammock to warm up the inside and evaporate any moisture that collects during the night. As for moisture coming from outside, I still plan to always use it with a tarp. And if the candle lantern burns the whole thing down, it should be spectacular for a few minutes anyway.

No snow yet but many overnights around freezing these days. I've been scraping the car the last few nights. I will probably make a shoulder season sock as well out of ripstop mostly just to keep the wind at bay

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Looking good g. Any idea what the weight of the material is per square yard? I'm planning on making one of these soon and might experiment with these drop sheets. Been thinking of making a the entry/exit cover just a large flap with internal pockets to store gear and to weigh the flap down instead of using a zipper. I also want to sew some loops on the inside to attach my Blackbird's shelf to and then have the sock pulled out from the other side of those attachments. It would add a little room and allow the stuff in my shelf to be pulled off of me.
    I used my nylon sock last winter and it built up too much condensation. It's good in cool/ cold weather but for the really cold times, a cotton sock would be better. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Looking good g. Any idea what the weight of the material is per square yard? I'm planning on making one of these soon and might experiment with these drop sheets. Been thinking of making a the entry/exit cover just a large flap with internal pockets to store gear and to weigh the flap down instead of using a zipper. I also want to sew some loops on the inside to attach my Blackbird's shelf to and then have the sock pulled out from the other side of those attachments. It would add a little room and allow the stuff in my shelf to be pulled off of me.
    I used my nylon sock last winter and it built up too much condensation. It's good in cool/ cold weather but for the really cold times, a cotton sock would be better. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.
    I threw away the packaging but I believe it was 8 or 9 oz / sq. yd. Go with lowes as they have the cotton ones and it's a twill. The fabric has some substance. I looked at the ones at Home Depot but they were a much looser weave and a coarser material. Good idea on the pull outs. I might try that as well.

Hammock
    My Wife's Tablecloth

Thank you

I have been looking at the same one at Orchard Supply. Have not got the gumption to try it yet. Looking forward to your report.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    ... And if the candle lantern burns the whole thing down, it should be spectacular for a few minutes anyway...

Be careful, but get some pics! We wanna see how spectacular it was, haha.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Huggers & Whoopies
    I like this idea better than the canvas ones. This one I could actually carry in a backpack if I wanted to. The others that I've seen would have to be pulled in on a sled and I'm not into that yet.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DAdamEich View Post
    I like this idea better than the canvas ones. This one I could actually carry in a backpack if I wanted to. The others that I've seen would have to be pulled in on a sled and I'm not into that yet.
    It's a pretty tight roll. Think 2 nalgene bottles layed end to end. it would easily strap to the outside of a backpack.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Had it out last night to check the fit. It's really comfy in there. It hovered around freezing overnight and there was no condensation inside when I got up this morning.

Here it is with the HH deep Jungle XL hanging inside

KAQ Jarbridge kept me toasty

I know it's not a real test and I need it to dip in temp some more to be sure, but I'm optimistic about condensation being under control. Because I use a CPAP machine without a humidifier, my mouth is pretty dry in the morning. So I'm thinking there won't be much condensation inside the sock. I'll try a colder hang as soon as the weather cooperates.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast