Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images

DIY Bridge Hammocks

My daughter and I are going to test our DIY bridge hammocks tonight. She has used hers already but I have not had the chance to sleep overnight in mine.

Kid sized bridge with diy quilts

Double layer with reduced length/width/spreader bars. My daughter is wanting to go hiking with me more now and I like the way I can control the pads and quilts with the bridge hammock. We have used this one a couple times overnight and I did not have to worry about her insulation. In the larger hammocks she would move around and I was always getting up to check. DIY UQ & OQ used

Dad size DIY Bridge wiith DIY Cuben Tarp (100% DIY setup)

Nothing ground breaking here. I used Grizz's guide like I did on my first bridge with a couple changes. This time I went with a single layer of 1.9 ripstop polyester. I use the torso sized quilts and do not mind the ccf pad under my legs. I also used amsteel 2.8 line for support arcs and suspension. I sewed the amsteel into the arc simiar to webbing. Using the amsteel reduced the bulk for packing. The amsteel cord is really a flat braid and with new cord it was fairly easy to sew. It does dull needles so if you ever use it have extras ready.

I used the .625 tent poles that others have used but changed the tips out. The last diy bridge I made I left the poles attached to the ropes for packing. The tips I made are lighter than the standard pole tips and I did not have to make a pocket or use cord to catch pole. It made for a very clean setup. I have no other hardware on the suspension other than a biner on the end of the suspension rope

The bug net is removeable and is similar to the way Risk suggests. It lays inside and self seals. I may use omnitape or zippers later but want to see how this works first. I did it this way on my daughters and it worked great the couple nights we used hers

The picture below shows how I use the biner for an adjustable suspension with no knots. The biner attachs to the end of the suspension rope, goes thru the huggers and heads back towards the hammock wrap the rope a minimum of 3 times as pictured.

Now for the best part. Getting to camp out with my 8 year old even if it is only in the back yard. Next week we will hit a trail.

Last edited by hangnout; 04-18-2009 at 20:46.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Nice to see you back, especially with new stuff.

I'm particularly interested in your bugnet, that's a project that is teed up for me real soon. I too was wondering if having it drap inside would work, and I like very much the looks of your solution. I've been trying to "pin" the corners of the net to the corners of the spreader bars, but your idea to just create a channel and slip the net on is very nice.

Thanks for sharing

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I really like the bugnet design, too. What was your source for the polyester?

Images
    Very nice hammock. I like the pole tips.

vitamaltz, welcome to the forum! Are you from Germany?

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    Very nice hammock. I like the pole tips.

vitamaltz, welcome to the forum! Are you from Germany?
    Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking here so long I feel like I know some of you personally.

I'm not from Germany, but I've spent some time there and have an affinity for that drink. I get a bottle of it smuggled to me every now and again.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    I'm not from Germany, but I've spent some time there and have an affinity for that drink. I get a bottle of it smuggled to me every now and again.
    I grew up in Germany and remember that drink, but it has been a very long time since I had one. I think it's made from malt just like a beer, but without fermentation, just carbonation added. We call it "Malzbier" and it is usually given to kids before they reach drinking age (around 8 or 9 years, depending on the region).

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    ...The tips I made...
    Very nice work! How exactly did you make the tips?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I never seen the biner suspension you did, that is cool. I really like the tips for your poles also. I have been conditioning my daughter to go hiking also. She is only 2 1/2 now, but I think another year and I will have to start on pint size gear.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I'm particularly interested in your bugnet, that's a project that is teed up for me real soon. I too was wondering if having it drap inside would work, and I like very much the looks of your solution. I've been trying to "pin" the corners of the net to the corners of the spreader bars, but your idea to just create a channel and slip the net on is very nice.

Thanks for sharing

Grizz
    Thanks again for the DIY instructions you posted. I kept referring back to them during this project

The bug net has worked well on my daughters so I decided to try it too. After using it I realized the way I attached to the pole tips held it in place very well without the sleeves. I plan on putting some pockets on the ends to place small items in and help hold down when the wind blows. Still a work in progess but so far so good.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I really like the bugnet design, too. What was your source for the polyester?
    This material was some I picked up at Wally World last year. It is polyester ripstop and worked out well.

Very nice work! How exactly did you make the tips?
    Thanks, I have small lathe that I used to make these.

I never seen the biner suspension you did, that is cool.
    I have used this for years with my Clark and DIY's. This is the first time I have used with the amsteel without a cover. I put one more wrap on it last night to make sure it did not slip. I have never had it let me down but even if it did slip it would be a very gradual descent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast