Argon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Which is more important?

I'm looking to add insulation to my hammock set up and need some advice on setting it up.

First, which is more important overall? The Top Quilt or the Under Quilt for keeping me warm? I've been thinking about getting a 0 degree under quilt and a 20 degree top quilt and figured that would be a good combination for all weather conditions I would encounter.

I'm planning a camping trip here soon and want to get my insulation ordered. I've been looking at getting the JRB Hudson River Quilt since it can be used as both an UQ and TQ, it would be moved to a dedicated TQ after I could afford my UQ.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Get an UQ and if you have one use a sleeping bag for a TQ until you can afford to get a TQ. Good luck.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Argon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Get an UQ and if you have one use a sleeping bag for a TQ until you can afford to get a TQ. Good luck.
    Thank you. How true to the degree temp ratings do I want to stay? I don't PLAN on being out sleeping in the teens, but will a 0 degree UQ keep me way to warm in the mid 20's?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Get the UQ first. There is a lot of convective heat loss from your back. You can always supplement your top. IMO it's better to have too much insulation on your back if you're in cooler temps. If you are too hot you can vent an UQ but it's more difficult to get your back warm if chilled.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Argon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the fast quality responses!

Now my last is who to buy from? I like that HG is located local to me and I'm all about supporting local business. I've looked at the 0 degree incubator they have and the JRB line of gear. I'm in a toss up between the two and I do want a full length UQ (I think) which rules out the Yeti and the Enlightened Equipment line.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I found that once I got my gear, I camped more in cooler weather than I had in the past. Once you get that comfy warm downy goodness, you enjoy camping in the cold. Now I hate to camp in the heat, sweating in a hammock is no fun.
    My first UQ was a HG 20* and it worked great for me. I can vent it in warmer weather. Now I have a 0* 3/4 UQ and I love how warm it keeps me, as I am a cold sleeper and needed more in the colder temps, like 22* at the Frozen Butt hang here in SC last year.

I love HG but there are others out there like Wilderness Logic and Under Ground Quilts just to name a few. All the cottage vendor are awesome.
    "No whining in the woods"

Images
    I would recommend the UQ first and use a bag as a TQ until funds present themselves for that.

I went that route and it worked great for me. I have a 20* HG UQ and would recommend them highly. Temp ratings are solid from HG and really all the cottage vendors you'll see here. It really depends on how hot or cool of a sleeper you are. I like the house in the low 70s to upper 60s/ summer and winter. So I think that would qualify me as a hot sleeper. All that said, I use a 20* TQ (Enlightened Equipment) and UQ and am very happy and comfortable at that range. Haven't gone into the teens (yet) but when I do will have a CCF pad to suppliment just in case for experimental purposes.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Underground Quilts make good stuff.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    I started with a 20* UQ as well and used a sleeping bag draped over me until I got my TQ. I still do not own any quilts below 20* but that does not mean that I won't in the future. I have slept out where the temperatures have dropped down into the mid 20's and snowed but I stayed toasty warm.

One aspect that you may want to consider is if you plan on backpacking or just camping. If you backpack also take a look at the weight difference between the 0* to the 20* quilts and determine if you mind carrying the extra weight.

As far as vendors for the quilts I can only speak to HQ and UGQ. They are both great and are of top quality with great customer service.

Hammock
    Argon
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for all of the help everyone. I ordered a HG 0 deg. Incubator. I'm hoping it doesn't get to hot above 0 deg but I like to plan for the worst. I have a climbing trip coming up soon so I'll be able to give some feedback on how well it works out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast