BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    I have a 20 deg Incubator and with my winter layers have slept into the mid teens in comfort. However- I am a hot sleeper.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Get an UQ and if you have one use a sleeping bag for a TQ until you can afford to get a TQ. Good luck.
    +1 on this one
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Regarding the lack of full length underquilt form Enlightened Equipment,

He doesn't sell a full length underquilt because his top quilts are also full length underquilts. Check the fine print on his web site. They all include the hang tags for such a purpose. You do need to provide a suspension system. Two bungees or whatever.

He has inexpensive overstuff options and this can really boost the temp rating when down compression could be an issue.
    His budget quilts are a great deal and are usually all ready sewed up and ready to stuff with whatever overfill if you want.

If you have any questions, you can email Tim. He has a few models ready to ship.

The Karo baffles allow you to work most of the down from the long sides to the center of the quilt where it is most needed.

That is what I use. I went with a 6' wide size because I use mine as an over quilt when ground camping. I suspect a short narrow size would be better as a dedicated underquilt and could save weight and money.
    Last edited by brooklynkayak; 11-08-2013 at 06:20.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by RFlyer View Post
    Thanks for all of the help everyone. I ordered a HG 0 deg. Incubator. I'm hoping it doesn't get to hot above 0 deg but I like to plan for the worst. I have a climbing trip coming up soon so I'll be able to give some feedback on how well it works out.
    Excellent choice-------if its too hot you can always hang it a little loose to vent it!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Zpacks
    Insulation
    Just enough!
    another vote for the UQ first!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Under quilts are definately the most critical piece.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG zero incubator
    Thanks for all of the help everyone. I ordered a HG 0 deg. Incubator. I'm hoping it doesn't get to hot above 0 deg but I like to plan for the worst. I have a climbing trip coming up soon so I'll be able to give some feedback on how well it works out.
    I have the zero degree and I love it. You wont be disappointed. I have used it up into the 50's and was fine. May need to make some adjustments to vent but better prepared than not.

Great quilt!

Thumbs up UQ has a broader comfort range than a TQ

Buying the UQ first is good advice - and getting the 0-degree a good choice too.

It's easier to regulate your temperature if the under quilt is "too thick" (as opposed to your top quilt). Heat rises. My mattress at home must have a pretty high R-value but I sleep on the same one summer and winter - I only change the blanket(s) on top.

On the other hand, no amount of top quilt can keep you warm if your under quilt is too thin.

Plus it's easier to supplement for warmth on top until you buy a top quilt (sleeping bags, blankets, comforters, etc.) - not accounting for the carry weight of course.

I'm in the market for a 0-degree UQ myself - looking at HG, UGC as well. Let us know your experience / temps / comfort.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I agree Underquilt first and if your only going to have one set starting out get a 20 degree. easy to tweak to go a bit colder.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Hello from Dayton, Ohio You are gonna love your 0* Incubator. That is what I went with and I love love love it.

Like Cali said, now that I can be toasty warm in colder weather, I really enjoy camping in colder weather! I'm a total convert!

So far I've used my 0* Incubator in temps as cold as 26* F up to about 60* F. It worked flawlessly regardless! I was warm and comfortable. In the colder temps I was zipped up in my sleeping bag, in milder temps I used the sleeping bag very loosely like a blanket and wore less clothing.

Enjoy your Incubator!
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12