WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    ...Does anyone use a universal seam guide?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    ...The 403A has a guide built in on the throat plate. I've added a temporary guide with a piece of masking tape when I needed something that wasn't already on the guide like a full 1" marking....
    Yeah, I usually just eyeball it off the edge of the presser foot or plate markings, but even with the markings, tape can make your mark stand out when you've been sewing for a while and the view gets a little fuzzy.

IMG_3993 (Small).JPG

Get used to watching the hem edge and not where the needle is actually stitching to make straight stitches.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    So is the walking foot worth buying?
    I've never used a walking foot, but there two varieties. One is a built in feature that some makes and models have. There is also an add-on attachment I've heard tell about. From my experience with add-on attachments with moving parts (rufflers and such) they are a real PITA to set up, require the patience of Job to learn to use, and generally fail to live up to the promised results. For certain kinds of gear making a built in walking foot can be a real asset. But that means a larger expense of another machine. Personally, I would not throw good money at an attachment walking foot. But only you can decide if it would be right for you.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Personally, I would not throw good money at an attachment walking foot. But only you can decide if it would be right for you.
    +1
    Even though I have a Pfaff with a top-feed foot, recently I've been using an Elna for gear sewing - made a bunch of silnylon and light ripstop stuff sacs and didn't notice any problems.
    I really wouldn't like to have the bulk of one of those attachments 'in the way'. I did fool around with a ruffler foot years back - just out of curiosity - and it was a complete PITA. That ended my fascination with add-on attachments with moving parts!

Learning some good basic sewing techniques - how to hold and feed fabric, pinning, etc. will be a better use of your time than messing with 'add-on helpers', IMO.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Well I'm in the minority when it comes to this subject, but I use several attachments on a daily basis.

- A double fold hemmer.
    I have a half dozen sizes, but use my 3/8" & 3/4" mostly
    http://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/s...MACHINE/Detail

- A plain tape binder
    I've got 5/8", 7/8 & 1" sizes.
    http://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/s...-SEWING/Detail

- A couple homemade guides that hold #3 & #5 coil zipper tape against the edge or the presser foot for hands free zipper installation.

- A half dozen teflon presser feet that have been sanded down to my specific width requirements.

- A regular sized & zipper presser foot.

I change my setup easily a dozen times a day. None of my attachments take more than 15 seconds for me to install, setup and begin stitching gear.

I agree with the others that none of these attachments are necessary. If you learn to use them to your advantage, they can make your life easier and improve the looks of your work.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 11-07-2013 at 13:51.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    It looks like a large double fold hemmer would make cord channels really easy. I have a foot that looks similar but I think it only does a 1/8" fold. I'm interested to see if my multi-slotted binder will work with grosgrain. This picture makes more sense than the one in the manual since it has inches instead of numbered bias tape sizes that aren't used anymore. I think I'll get a seam guide since I'm ordering some other stuff anyway. I think I'll hold of on the walking foot since I can adjust the foot pressure.

I've never used a walking foot, but there two varieties. One is a built in feature that some makes and models have. There is also an add-on attachment I've heard tell about. From my experience with add-on attachments with moving parts (rufflers and such) they are a real PITA to set up, require the patience of Job to learn to use, and generally fail to live up to the promised results. For certain kinds of gear making a built in walking foot can be a real asset. But that means a larger expense of another machine. Personally, I would not throw good money at an attachment walking foot. But only you can decide if it would be right for you.
    A walking foot attachment is no harder putting on than changing out a regular presser foot. I.E. you unscrew the old presser foot, put the walking foot attachment on as you would the regular foot ( with the presser foot thumb screw ) then make sure the mechanical arm is over the needle thumb screw. No adjustments needed after that. I use one only when I am sewing slippery material.

Normally it's a zigzag foot or zipper foot on my machine.

Pictures of my Singer 328K with walking foot/easy feed attachment.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedKlown2 View Post
    A walking foot attachment is no harder putting on than changing out a regular presser foot. I.E. you unscrew the old presser foot, put the walking foot attachment on as you would the regular foot ( with the presser foot thumb screw ) then make sure the mechanical arm is over the needle thumb screw. No adjustments needed after that. I use one only when I am sewing slippery material.
    In that case you will probably need one made specially for your machine. From what I have found, if it says "universal fit" or "fits all machines" it is most likely does not. Thanks for the pics. That helps.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    In that case you will probably need one made specially for your machine. From what I have found, if it says "universal fit" or "fits all machines" it is most likely does not. Thanks for the pics. That helps.
    I changed my mind and ordered one since I was already getting other stuff. I guess the ones I've looked at are not "universal". My 403A is a slant shank but there are also long and short shank machines out there, maybe some others that I don't know about. From my understanding all your feet have to be for your type shank or things won't work right. Following that thought process, it would then not be possible to have "universal" feet. I'm sure you already knew this, I'm just putting it out there for those "less seasoned" individuals.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    ...I'm interested to see if my multi-slotted binder will work with grosgrain....
    You got me curious so I gave it a quick try with a fairly stiff 1/2" grosgrain and a soft 1/2" grosgrain.

First I stitched two pieces of 1.1 ripstop together and then put the binder foot on. I couldn't get either started in the largest slot so I used the opening in the back. I didn't get the soft grosgrain to push through to get it started. The stiff grosgrain went through but with so much resistance I'm sure it would have made feeding it and the fabric difficult so I gave up on it.

Next, I crudely cut a 1/2" "ribbon" of 1.7 oz ripstop to try (I wanted to see this thing work). It fed through easily so I placed the fabric in position and it did it's thing very nicely...

IMG_4000 (Medium).JPG

I think it's worth playing with some more to see if I can get the soft grosgrain fed through, although the 1/2" folded in half puts the stitching very close to the edge of the fabric. That might be OK on a french seam but it looks too close for my taste to use on the unhemmed edge of a tarp. A binder foot for 3/4" tape might be useful.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    If I understand those measurement in the picture correctly, they are for the folded width and not the original. So, the largest slot would be for 1" material. This is where I got that understanding.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast