Tarp
    Hennesey Monsoon
    Insulation
    Eno Vulcan
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images

Hammock in a lean-to (etiquette)

So on a recent trip winds were up 20-30 mph range and we had constant rain, the group and myself wanted to set up in a lean-to and they mentioned a ranger might have a problem with me setting up my hammock in a lean-to.

Any thoughts on this? I was using straps so I didn't damage anything. Just wondering what your experiences might be.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

For me it all is about the time of year and how busy could the lean to get. A group of hangers and I went out in went snowshoeing last winter. We made it to a shelter at about 4 and the wind had picked up. We knew the possibility of someone else being out there was around zero so a few of us set up in the lean to shelter. We would not have done this really in any other time of the year just for the fact if someone else needed the shelter.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yeah, in general its frowned upon, especially since there's usually not a good way to be hung in a way that fits with others using the floor of the shelter - in other words, the hammock takes up only the space that you would have otherwise used on the floor.

Often, there's a way to hang that "technically" frees up floorspace, but not necessarily "airspace", ifuknowhatimean, and that's not going to fly with most ground dwelling folks who are already jealous of you. And some folks who know the pressures hammocks put on structures and going to be wary.

That said, if you go out of your way to be accommodating to others using the shelter, there's a chance they will go out of their way to accept what you want to do.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads

I have done it. It was a cold, windy stretch of weather in the Adirondacks this spring and we were on the Northville-Placid trail. The lean-to only had room left for 1 person and there were 2 of us. My buddy took the floor, I took the rafters. I will let you decide who got the better nights sleep!
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Images
    if no ones else is there go for it

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Seen it done when there was no one else but the hangers, but I could see where people sleeping on the floor would frown upon it.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I believe this issue comes up from time to time because of two things:
    (1) Many parks have rules prohibiting a "camping unit" inside a shelter (i.e., a tent) and
    (2) Some rangers perceive a hammock as a "camping unit".

If you ever are in that situation and a ranger thinks you're breaking the rules, smile and calmly explain that your hammock--in this instance--is more akin to a sleeping bag than to a tent. It's your bed, not your shelter. I mean, you're not setting up a tarp inside the shelter, for goodness' sake!

I think that is a very reasonable argument. You're not taking up any more space than a person in a sleeping bag on a pad would take. As you say, just be careful what you hang off of and don't do any damage to the structure. I bet you any ranger with a "knee-jerk" reaction to seeing a hammock inside a shelter will stop, rethink it and decide you're not breaking any rules.

Just be cool!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    On the AT during the busy season this would be frowned upon. If all @#$!# is
    breaking loose outside and you need to hit the shelter it could be worked out with a positive spirit and approach. If you get stuck on the shelter floor, be glad you are dry and hopefully safe.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    Down UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Cinch
    Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    I've done it. Had been raining for seven days straight, and didn't stop for another day. Got to the shelter and no one was there. Figured I had the place to myself. Set up hammock, and relaxed. About an hour later, and right at dark, another hiker showed up. I quickly took my hammock down to give him room. I mentioned that I was planning on sleeping in my hammock, that I had a tarp, and that it wouldn't be an issue in any way for me to put up my tarp and hammock outside the shelter.
    He was very respectable back. He said let him get set up, and then put the hammock up so we could see how it all laid out. He did, I did, and there were zero issues with either of us. It worked fine, and we both stayed in the shelter that night.
    The hammock does take up a ton of 'airspace' though; and had there been more than another hiker to come to the shelter, I wouldn't even have asked about it. I would have just set up outside.

u.w.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast