Insulation
    hg incubator uq
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
    To add to the discussion-
    Is it more expensive- Yes
    Is it lighter than my old tarp rig- No
    Is it more comfortable Always---and that is why I switched.
    This sums up my thinking-

I have really been intrigued by the whole hammock thing and lurk here. However, more expensive and heavier (that is a lethal combination imo)always keeps me from pulling the trigger on a hammock.

I do sleep well on the ground (ever since I discovered Exped sleeping mats - before that I had almost quit the whole camping/backpacking scene).

I do see the advantage of hammock as sometimes there simply isn't a good place to set up a tent but the price point keeps me from entering the hammock market. Yes there are cheap hammock options out there but will those options distort my perception of hanging?

When out on a trip, I will not compromise on the quality of sleep. That is of utmost importance to me.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    If keeping to comparable light weights, things may be closer.

My light solo tent set-up
    Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 - $370 - 1.2 kg
    Self-inflating ground pad - $60 - 500g

First hammock set-up
    WBBB 1.0 dbl - $110 IIRC - 0.8 kg
    WB Edge Tarp - $85 - 0.32 kg
    Blue CCF pad - $15 - 0.2 kg

In this case, the hammock was lighter, less expensive, more spacious, and far more comfortable.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Cheaper:
    Well, it depends on what you mean by 'equivalent', I guess. Cheap department store tents can be had for $50 and up - including zippered bug protection and some sort of waterproof floor and fly.

I don't think it's 'fair' to compare a very basic hammock setup with a name-brand tent (MSR Hubba for example), but if that is the comparison, the tent loses, I suppose.

Easier: What's easier than buying a tent and pitching it? (assuming you have someplace flat to camp )
    Just for the sake of discussion:

Tablecloth ~$10, plastic tarp ~$10, 2 HF cargo straps $2 on sale, 50 ft utility cord $3, 40 ft amsteel ~ $15. Bugnet is the catch, no numbers but some simple ideas around. Can do the hammock with no sewing and once made pitches as easily as any tent I have seen. With that one will be a lot more comfortable on a $10 foam pad in the hammock instead of the tent. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    If keeping to comparable light weights, things may be closer.

My light solo tent set-up
    Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 - $370 - 1.2 kg
    Self-inflating ground pad - $60 - 500g

First hammock set-up
    WBBB 1.0 dbl - $110 IIRC - 0.8 kg
    WB Edge Tarp - $85 - 0.32 kg
    Blue CCF pad - $15 - 0.2 kg

In this case, the hammock was lighter, less expensive, more spacious, and far more comfortable.
    Thanks for those facts and figures. It makes the comparison clearer.
    Did you include the peg weights with your Edge Tarp? (The UL2 number does include pegs, I think. ??) Not a big deal....

I agree that the hammock feels much more spacious than any small tent, but in a driving sideways rain/wind situation, the UL2 provides 35 sq of totally protected (from above/side - 7sqft is unfloored vestibule) floor area. I don't think you could say the same for the Edge tarp.

And my hammock is certainly more comfortable than being on the ground with a light pad . So we agree on that, though I suspect my (heavier) hammock suits me better than a gathered end hammock.

The OP's blog was, I think, aimed at prospective hammock users as well as 'the converted' - I think it's important not to 'over-sell' hammocks in our enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I am surprised he left off the tarptents by Henry Shire

I just noticed he has a 4 person tent now
    Very true, I hadn't thought about the TT.

No I haven't seen it yet, gonna go take a look at it now, thanks..
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Good article and dejoha's research method is a viable one. I agree that hammock camping is more expensive for me. But once I found out how much more comfortable I am in the hammock, I was willing to pay the price.

Along the same lines, a well-marbled, dry-aged steak is more expensive than one you might get at an Outback Steakhouse. They are both enjoyable, but I would rather have the deluxe version if I can.

I have been making money now for about 40 years and have been very slow to spend it. (I'm not cheap, I'm just careful with my money ). I feel I deserve to spend a little to make my camping significantly more enjoyable.

You get what you pay for.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    bias WW, WWM
    Tarp
    the MAMA
    Insulation
    Rev X TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images

Not true in my case

First of all I don't care what people think of hammocks, I'm not not here to convert the masses. Second of all hammock CAMPING might be be more expensive than tent CAMPING (you can go to Mallwart and get a tent for $40). But for BACKPACKING (think light, top of the line equipment) my hammock set up is cheaper and lighter than my tent set up.

Big Agnes seedhouse SL1 $269

BIAS weight weenie, with knotty mods and complete suspension system(starps,toggles, whoopies) $97.95
    Warbonnet big mamajamba $110
    Total hammock set up $207.95

I'm using same ridgerest pad and top quilt for both down to 30º.

Real weight for seedhouse (on my scale) 46 oz
    Real weight for mama plus ww with suspensions 25.60 oz

Almost half the weight for way less money.........

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Well, there are three Hilleberg 1-person tents, and the most expensive (Soulo) is listed. Fair is fair....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I am surprised he left off the tarptents by Henry Shire

I just noticed he has a 4 person tent now
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Absolutely agree.......

Dejoha as always a great article and a very interesting topic, although I am a bit surprised that you included MLD yet left off SixMoons.
    Thanks all. As I mentioned a few times, I wasn't trying to make an exhaustive list, but show a smattering of examples out there from various brands. I wasn't trying to limit Hennessy with just the expensive example, but I wanted to show a few extremes without showing a bias towards hammocks. It's a gamble: had I picked the cheapest, some might point out his most expensive.

Again, not meant to be an exhaustive list. I intentionally cherry picked a few examples from different ends of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Thanks all. As I mentioned a few times, I wasn't trying to make an exhaustive list, but show a smattering of examples out there from various brands. I wasn't trying to limit Hennessy with just the expensive example, but I wanted to show a few extremes without showing a bias towards hammocks. It's a gamble: had I picked the cheapest, some might point out his most expensive.

Again, not meant to be an exhaustive list. I intentionally cherry picked a few examples from different ends of the spectrum.
    Completely understood, thanks again for the write up.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Durable

Hammock camping is using pretty much durable goods - as long as freaks of nature don't blow your camp apart or a tree fall on something.

Before I got in to hammock camping I slept out under the stars of if the kids were along used a cheep - under $40 - two to three person tent.

One of the girls used the tent when she was in college and returned it to me packed. Couple of years later the little one wanted to go camping so I took out the tent to practice with it. Two of the poles were broke at the end right at the metal tip. Went online and the price of replacement poles was more than a new tent down at the sports store.

Hammock camping is cheep to get into - it's the upgrades that kill your bank account.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast