Thread: Newbie Question

Newbie Question

Okay I did some reading about hanging and because I am ADD I went out and bought a Hennessy Hammock. Then I after receiving it I began to really research and found that I needed an underquilt because I mostly hike in late fall early spring in the north Ga./Tn areas. Now my question is before I drop a couple hundred bucks on an underquilt is: what is the weight savings if any between the tent, sleeping pad etc. vs. Hammock and underquilt? I will still be carring my sleeping bag so can you roll the underquilt up in there as well? Yes these are all dumb questions but crap I have it and I want to use it and dang sure don't want my wife to be able to say I told you so!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Go to underquilts .com and talk to lost biker he will answer all your questions and give you an awesome deal on an underquilt, he did me and i could not be happier
    http://www.underquilts.com/

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Depending on the particular pad, for example, the Wally World Blue CFF, using a down UQ will not be an outright weight savings, although the penalty isn't too significant. Down under insulation does reduce bulk and pack size.

When combined with an actual TQ, you gain back the slight weight penalty, by not having the hood, zippers, and excess material, you no longer need. It's also a much more comfortable lay.

At this current time, many use a Trash Compactor or other "Dry" bag as a waterproof inner liner for their pack. Doing so, allows for insulation to just be crammed loose into the bottom of the pack. This seems to make more efficient loading by eliminating voids, between stuff sacks, and allowing the rest of the gear to conform better to the shape of the pack and your back.

Hope that helps some. Ask more ?'s if it doesn't. No rocket science going on here
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    There has been some discussion about weight comparisons between tenting and hammocking in the past and without giving specifics I believe it comes down to this:
    Tenting requires - tent, pad, bag
    Hammocking requires - hammock, UQ, TQ, tarp
    If you are going solo the weight difference is not much with the nod probably going to hammocking.
    If you are equipping 2 or more you need to add:
    Tenting - pad, bag
    Hammocking - hammock, UQ, TQ, tarp
    So, the weight advantage may go to tenting in this case.

There are lots of other reasons to choose one over the other but that's the gist of the weight discussion as I remember it.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

thanks guys

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You may not necessarily save weight with a hammock set up over a tent set up. The true advantages are comfort and more set up options.

The vast majority of people that convert to hammock camping all say that the sleep they get is far superior to sleeping on the ground. When you are better rested, you can tackle the next day's hike or paddle with more energy.

With regards to set up options, as long as you are in the woods, you can find a place to hang. It's certainly easier than having to find a flat spot to pitch a tent. The ability to change tarp configurations is great for different weather conditions. You can go no tarp if its a clear night or pitch the tarp low in rain and winds (and close doors if the tarp has them). Porch mode is great for waking up to morning views or to watch a lightning storm.

It might be more expensive overall but the benefits are worth it in my opinion.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can get by with sleeping bag and pad or two pads. A UQ is terrific though.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Go to underquilts .com and talk to lost biker he will answer all your questions and give you an awesome deal on an underquilt, he did me and i could not be happier
    http://www.underquilts.com/
    +1 Lost Biker was a big help to me too.

• + New Posts