Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yet another Underquilt thread, sorry

Following my first hang ( which was amazing! ) I'm thinking of adding an underquilt into the equation. I'm thinking in terms of lightweightness and compressability to keep the packsize down, however I'm keen to avoid Down due to the whole wetness thing. Could anyone tell me which, in their opinion, are the best synthetic quilts, in terms of size-to-warmth ratio?

Thanks,

Ian

Images
    There is really only 2 synthetic manufactors out there. Warbonnet and KAQ. Warbonnet has a nice half length one. I have it, just hadn't had the chance to fully test it yet.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Scratch that, Coffee. Brandon hasn't been making the synthetic Warbonnet in quite some time. All the newer Yeti's are made from down.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBristol View Post
    Following my first hang ( which was amazing! ) I'm thinking of adding an underquilt into the equation. I'm thinking in terms of lightweightness and compressability to keep the packsize down, however I'm keen to avoid Down due to the whole wetness thing. Could anyone tell me which, in their opinion, are the best synthetic quilts, in terms of size-to-warmth ratio?

Thanks,

Ian
    Is there info here somewhere that lists things like:
    weight, how small it compresses, warmth, (or temp ratings)
    for synthetic quilts???
    Thanks, TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBristol View Post

Thanks,

Ian
    I don't know how your DIY skills are, but a synthetic quilt made from Climashield insulation is a very good option (compressible, cheaper, easy to work with).
    Climashield (for now) can be had a thruhiker.com
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Scratch that, Coffee. Brandon hasn't been making the synthetic Warbonnet in quite some time. All the newer Yeti's are made from down.
    Hmm, shows you how in the loop I am.......

Now I have a collecters item, even better.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I think he stopped making them because the climashield appeared to be drying up due to the manufacturers' financial problems. Those have been rectified and Thruhiker has it in stock. I'm guessing he hasn't made them due to hammock demand. I have one of the synthetic models and, like Coffee, haven't been able to wring it out but it is an absolutely ingenious design. The fact that you can add and remove layer of insulation makes it extremely versatile, IMO.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I agree, it's a fantastic design. The post I replied to wasn't about the design, though, only availability.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Right, I think I got the last one.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I think it would be just as miserable to have a wet synthetic - the Ray Way I have would turn into a sopping mess weighing a ton. Maybe it would keep me alive when wet, but maybe I would wrap up in a mylar blanket instead - might be less damp.

I'm just curious - what do you think a synthetic underquilt does for you when it's wet and sagging away from the bottom of the hammock on shock cords? Wouldn't the wet material be heavier and harder to adjust up? Has anyone actually had a wet underquilt?

I was reading a thread elsewhere where someone was wanting a good synthetic bag he would be able to launder while thru hiking - he didn't want down because he thought he couldn't get it wet. I'm a little boggled by the ideas people get. Wouldn't there be a dryer in the laundromat too?

In the environments I frequent it doesn't get humid 24/7, doesn't rain for weeks on end, and I have yet to fall into water. I have heard of people using down in wet environments successfully, probably with specific precautions but still. I don't see any reason to have one or the other specifically in places like the Sierras.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast