Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tape for Silnylon

is there a no sew tape for Silnylon?
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/coated.html (look for Tape at the bottom of the page)

Images
    Sounds like tyvek tape that you can go to the depot and bye a roll of.

I guess depending on the application, it would work.

I think I would sew the material if you are putting it under any strain and stress. Just my opinion.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    It should be like C3 sailtape which doesn't stick to silnylon. To the best of my knowledge noone has found anything that sticks well to sil. Someone posted about some spray on adhesives that gave sill just a little tack to help sewing, but not actually stick.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have yet to find any kind of tape that sticks to sil. Tyvek tape will not stick either.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Silnylon

I've been working with silnylon for years and to this point I am still not aware of any tape that will stick to it. However, my newest Packas are made from 33D nylon ripstop 1200mm Sil/PU fabric, and it is comparably light. The new Packas weigh in at 12.5 oz, but all the seams are fully taped. So I figure all the tape probably adds up to about 2 oz, which makes them about 2 oz heavier than the older sil models, the the overall fabric weight seems to be roughly the same. I don't know where you can buy it though.
    Cedar Tree
    Last edited by Cedar Tree; 04-20-2009 at 16:53.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR

Exclamation No Tape But "Glue"

There is supposedly a 3M transfer tape with silicone based adhesive that would work with silnylon, however it seems to be so hard to find,it's probably easier to discover an intact dinosaur carcass.

However there is adhesive that allows to glue silnylon to silnylon, afaik it's only made by one manufactureri might be wrong here,sure hope i am
    which is Wacker Chemie or Wacker Silicones, the product is called Elastosil, the appropriate one should be E43 or N199.
    Its room temperature vulcanizing (RTV1) Silicone so idealy you should get a silicone structure that penetrates
    both layers of your fabric and bonds them permanently.
    In a german outdoor forum someone made a tarp with it last decemeber, apparently had no problems =)

I will try the same, so any one interested and with time on her/his hands can see whether it works for me or not before jumping

The E43 and N199 is what the person on the german forum recommended, the N199 is the easier to work with due to its lower viscosity.
    There might be other versions to consider, one would just have to check the corresponding datasheets,
    they differ mainly in the time they take to fully vulcanize and the by-product.
    While curing the E numbered ones leave behind acetic acid, N leaves alcohol ,A leaves organic amine,
    the other ones are two component products or form foam

With the Tape and the RTV silicone you could either use a small stripe of additional fabric or overlap your two fabrics and glue them directly onto each other.
    Last edited by utilisateur; 04-20-2009 at 17:32.

Images
    interesting, let us know how it works

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I had to repair one of my tents that got a huge rip in the tarp. I took a piece of silnylon (sq shape larger than rip) and used a tube of 100% silicone caulk that you buy at lowes (clear type) Squeezed the caulk all over, what would be the back side, of the silnylon sq of fabric, and placed it on the rip in the tarp. Then using my hands, smoothed it down, making sure there were no bubbles or hugh globs of the caulk between the two layers. Waited about two days for all this to dry and then stitched the two layers. after sewing I again used the silicone to seal all the stiching holes. The stuff I used was made by GE called Silicone II Window & Door. Bought the small tube and used it right from the tube. Spread it with your finger and use a paper towel to wipe both finger and any excess of the silnylon fabric. This is also what I use for seam sealing any tarps. I usually just put it on the outside seams but if I'm really worried about leaking, I'll do both sides.

the quest continues. I contacted 3M and they said that they had nothing that works and suggested I contact Dow and GE which I have done. I'll post updates if I find anything

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I've made several shelters is the past with SilNylon and used small paper clips about 6" apart to hold together before sewing. If you need to fold and sew, I would iron (#3) the edges 1st, paper clip it, then sew. If your only wanting to tape or glue good luck..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast