Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    Only pull your hammock sock as far as your neck, so you are not breathing into it.

For sleeping, put your entire head into a fleece bag. Most balaclavas are intended for day use so the eyes are exposed, unnecessary for sleeping.
    I have only seen the WB sock. How would you do this in one of those?
    The sock totally covers the hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
    Only pull your hammock sock as far as your neck, so you are not breathing into it.

For sleeping, put your entire head into a fleece bag. Most balaclavas are intended for day use so the eyes are exposed, unnecessary for sleeping.
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I have only seen the WB sock. How would you do this in one of those?
    The sock totally covers the hammock.

I don't know how you would do that with that type sock. But if a sock was designed like this, or if the pods fabric were waterproof(and used with a VB) or WP breathable, this style might function well to get most of the breath vapor outside:

The last picture is what happened when my wife could no longer stand any more hammock craziness and decapitated me.

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    Ugq
    Insulation
    Wilderness logics
    Suspension
    Dutch ware
    Images
    I like the idea of a fleece bag for my head. Might dampen my epic snoring which would make my friends rejoyce. I am considering the UQ protector thing from 2qzq, looks like it would fill my needs of keeping the wind off my bottom. Thanks fellas!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Regarding the Warbonnet sock,
    It is designed with a half moon two sided zipper that can be zipped open directly above you head.

I find this has worked for me, but I haven't taken mine to that much below freezing.

It is very breathable and although I have slept in cold fog, I have not had an issue with condensation, but I always leave the zipper partially open near my face.

I find this setup to be very comfortable. I had never slept this well in sub freezing conditions until now.
    I usually hate the cold nose and ice that forms near the face.

The sock really helps with keeping the inside air temp warmer. The breathability and coverage helps to keep me and my bedding dry and frost free.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    Regarding the Warbonnet sock,
    It is designed with a half moon two sided zipper that can be zipped open directly above you head.

I find this has worked for me, but I haven't taken mine to that much below freezing.

It is very breathable and although I have slept in cold fog, I have not had an issue with condensation, but I always leave the zipper partially open near my face.

I find this setup to be very comfortable. I had never slept this well in sub freezing conditions until now.
    I usually hate the cold nose and ice that forms near the face.

The sock really helps with keeping the inside air temp warmer. The breathability and coverage helps to keep me and my bedding dry and frost free.
    At the 2012 Colorado Winter Hang on Kenosha Pass (10,000ft) just about everyone was using the WB socks and they set them up as you described.
    Those that did not have one ordered one on their return from the hang.

Hammock
    The Ninja (HikingDad Special)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    NF Down DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Glad I found this thread I'm about to DIY a sock for MN winters also and I need all the info I can get!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    A sock would probably be a relatively easy project. I do recommend the Warbonnet style half moon zipper. it really makes sense now that I've used it a few times.

It allows the face opening as I stated before and also allows the sock to be unzipped and rolled back out of the way until its needed.

Be sure to use highly breathable fabric. A lot of people talk about making waterproof socks.
    I would think a waterproof sock would be a disaster.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly Deluxe View Post
    Glad I found this thread I'm about to DIY a sock for MN winters also and I need all the info I can get!!
    You are in luck Hillbilly, This forum has a group of guys from MN that are in my opinion " The Who Saids of the Greatest Magnitude" when it comes to winter camping/hanging in MN.
    They have designed winter socks specific to dealing with -10F to -40F conditions. Do a search for MN winter hang trip reports. You won't regret it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I just tried and tried to have success with a sock in cold and sub0ºs but always had moisture. Made of dwr ripstop. I vented with a big hole over my face and even he'd it so my whole head stuck out. It truly was warmer with the sock and that was amazing but my TQ and sleeping gear just had too much moisture on and in it for my comfort.
    That said….i have not tried the canvas style. I might though.
    My only other objection was being all sealed up and not being able to see out into the woods…one reason I love hammock camping.
    Could be that I am just to much of a sweat machine.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

While on the Foothills Trail last week, using the Warbonnet sock, and temps as low as 22 degrees at night, I had no condensation, even with the sock completely closed. I have no way of knowing what the humidity level was though, but I suspect it was low.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast