Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Huggers & Whoopies

Question Suggestions for cold sleeper?

Here's my dilemma... I inherited a low core temperature and I'm a very cold sleeper. I use a 0* bag most of the year and I'm in the market for a new one. I have a small budget of <$100.

Currently I use an Alps Mountaineering 0* Desert Pine and I love this bag, but I need a long. I'm 6'2" and I need to get my shoulders below the draft tube. I'm looking for a similar bag because I love my current one (except for the length). Most of the time I'm only backpacking for a couple days and have limited water and food on me so I have the space. My bag fits inside the main compartment of my pack and I can fit most everything else goes in the bottom compartment. I try to avoid strapping anything to the outside of my pack and hate carrying my bag on the bottom of my pack with it hitting me in the back of my knees.

I can easily find a 0* or -20* replacement bag for less than $100, but... they're 7lbs and huge. Am I trying to fill an impossible checklist here?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I would suggest save up and get some down
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Huggers &amp; Whoopies
    That's what I figured everyone would say. I would love to eventually go that way, it's just not possible right now. Thanks for the input.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY
    My body can never decide if it wants to sleep hot or cold. In addition to the tried and true hot water bottle, instant Heat Packs always buy a few degrees when I get colder than expected. Sleeping bag liner helps a bit... And I usually pull my down jacket into the bag for cold spots.
    Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, & narrow-mindedness, & many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men & things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
    Mark Twain

Hammocking in SoCal

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DAdamEich View Post
    I can easily find a 0* or -20* replacement bag for less than $100, but... they're 7lbs and huge. Am I trying to fill an impossible checklist here?
    You have run into the old dilemma of cost, warmth and weight/bulk. Pick any 2.

I would suggest looking for used gear, you might be able to find what you are looking for at the price point you wish to pay.

Good luck on your quest. I can't imagine someone being such a cold sleeper that they can use a 0F bag in the summer and not overheat.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    As a fellow cold sleeper, I use a 0* top quilt almost all year and a 20* under quilt with an under quilt protector year round.

I have found that I can add/retain warmth with something around my neck and usually wear a vest with a collar and a buff at night. A wool or fleece cap helps a lot too. One of the best keep warm items I own is a set of Flame Thrower down booties from AHE. Reasonably priced and warm feet add body heat for me.

Even a small fleece throw around your shoulders and neck will help with the need for a longer bag.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Images
    Can you sew? You could make an extra wide tq to wrap around you like a bag. Or sew a zipper on it if you like it, a center zip design would would great in a hammock. If you found a down blanket from a second hand store, you could harvest the down from it. You could customize it for you, and stay under budget. But you'll be trading that money saved for time...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A Blue Kazoo on sale here for $100…...https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=82094
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Henn Exp lite or WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopy on Kevlar
    There are down 0 bags you can order from china on eBay for $100 if you can find one in large. I have had pretty good success ordering from china but there is risk. Most of the stuff sold by name brands is made in china so the quality is often the same. Look for one with good feedback

• + New Posts