Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images

A word if I may

Well, brothers and sisters of the hang, I come before you today to spread the word and the word is underquilt. Can I get an amen on the underquilt? Yessuh, friends and neighbors, I have spent many a night in aerial bliss, slumbering peacefully while my tent dwelling brethren did writhe and shiver upon the ground. But when the temperatures dropped (gimme another amen on the dropping temperatures), my rapture was denied me. Yes, my friends, I was uncomfortable. Pads did not ease my torment. Nosuh. Warmer sleeping bags were presented unto me and though they eased my discomfort, they didst also present a struggle to enter and exit when called upon in the middle of the night and a slight chill did still reach my old bones. Long did I search and experiment, but warmth and comfort were denied me, my friends. And then! The web reached out to me and spoke of a wondrous thing (can I get a mighty amen for the web?)! It spoke of warmth. It spoke of comfort. And yes my friends, I was tempted. I parted with my hard earned coin and on a Tuesday morning, almost two weeks ago, it arrived. Wednesday evening, I was in the wilderness of the Sierras (can you say 'hallelujah' on the wilderness?). And on Thursday morning, there was a great rejoicing for I had been warm and comfortable through a thirty degree night! Yes, brothers and sisters of the hang, I had been warm and comfortable with the miraculous KAQ Potomac attached to my HH hammock, my sleeping bag unzipped and used as a top quilt with my feet nice and toasty in the foot box (amen on the foot box) so getting in and out was easily done. Truly, I had donned my longjohns as usual, my jacket was my pillow. And, I say unto you, had the temperatures plunged another 10 degrees, I believe I would have still been comfortable. Amen.
    It's a good day to hang!
    Last edited by Dead Mule, John; 11-18-2013 at 09:35.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    Pretty sure Shug has a video covering pads in hammocks. Give it a view. In fact you should check out all his videos as they are packed with info and are entertaining as well.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

amen, brother

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Mule, John View Post
    It's a good day to hang!
    Your witnessing may have saved many a noob, I'm sure. Carry on good soldier.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Mule, John View Post
    Well, brothers and sisters of the hang, I come before you today to spread the word and the word is underquilt.
    Preach it, good brother! Amen!
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG zero incubator
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    If possible, test your gear at home, not on a family backpacking trip.
    +2 on this lol. I almost learned the hard way. I wont bore you with the story but being able to quickly get to my car and get home probably saved my life.

You can always make a poncho liner UQ and the way they are made you can add extra insulation in between the layers to supplement if needed. If you are going to be doing a lot of actual backpacking down is the way to go imho due to weight. You can get some really light compressible synthetic but that would probably exceed what its worth based on how often you state that you actually hang.

I have a feeling though that the time is not far off you will be a full time hanger though. It only takes one good night in a hammock to convert yah

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH, SMe
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

2ND Hammock as an UQ

I was just wondering if I hung my ENO containing an extra sleeping bag under my BBWB if it would work as an UQ?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

???

Quote Originally Posted by OldMart View Post
    I was just wondering if I hung my ENO containing an extra sleeping bag under my BBWB if it would work as an UQ?
    Big Bare White Butt ???

Oh wait, BlackBird WarBonnet, gotcha.

That idea probably gives you some insulation, but it sounds to me like the bag would be sandwiched between the two hammocks with probably some significant compression of the insulation. You could probably rig it so the compression is not too much, but it sounds to me like it would be tricky to do well.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Regarding: "extra sleeping bag under my BBWB".

Or just use it as an underquilt without the extra hammock?
    It depends on the sleeping bag. A stock sleeping bag with a full length zip could work quite well, but you will want to play with the hang and see how it fits.
    You want to make sure there are no gaps around the perimeter and also not so tight that it is squishing the insulation.

You may be able to use paper clamps, clothespins or other methods to attach it a bungee suspension.

Of course, the optimum way would be to have it converted into a quilt and add corner tabs to make suspension easy. There are people on this forum that can do this if you are able to yourself.

There are lots of do it yourself posts about doing just that.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post

No need to test family camping gear at home. My family camping gear is 98% prefect. The hammocking gear is strictly a soloist thing. I live in an apartment (sadly [the apt]) with my wife and daughter. The only place I can test my hammock gear overnight, other than a campground, is in my mothers backyard. LOL at 31 I can't, with a straight face, tell my wife, 'I'm going to sleep in my mom's backyard.

But yes I do agree a test run is a good idea. If I can finagle a test run I definitely will.
    Gee, I seem to remember thinking the same thoughts as above, not too long ago. Then I had a goofy series of events happen. I check out everything very carefully before I leave home. I sometimes go places where my life might well depend on all of my equipment being able to do its job. You just never know what might happen while you are off on an adventure. My gear is all quality stuff and dependable, but I still check it out before I leave home. Stuff happens, one should always be prepared for surprises.

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH, SMe
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

Bottom Insulation opinions

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Big Bare White Butt ???

Oh wait, BlackBird WarBonnet, gotcha.

That idea probably gives you some insulation, but it sounds to me like the bag would be sandwiched between the two hammocks with probably some significant compression of the insulation. You could probably rig it so the compression is not too much, but it sounds to me like it would be tricky to do well.
    Typo WBBB. But you figured it out :-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast