Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Bridge hammock plans?

Hello all. After making several gathered end hammocks I would like to try a diy bridge hammock. Having never even been in or seen a bridge hammock I am not certain what the measurements should be. Are there any good plans for this that include the measurements? I see a few diy bridge hammocks on here but cannot locate any actual dimensions. Thanks!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eviscerate3 View Post
    Hello all. After making several gathered end hammocks I would like to try a diy bridge hammock. Having never even been in or seen a bridge hammock I am not certain what the measurements should be. Are there any good plans for this that include the measurements? I see a few diy bridge hammocks on here but cannot locate any actual dimensions. Thanks!
    Oh yeah……..https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=31986
    Get on it. There are several parts to Grizz's tutorial.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Oh yeah……..https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=31986
    Get on it. There are several parts to Grizz's tutorial.
    Shug
    Thanks shug! I will check it out tonight.

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Grizz's tutorial is great. I don't remember if I got this idea from him or someone else but use a tent pole and give it a bend to trace the catenary cut onto your chosen hammock material.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole;DIY
    Insulation
    HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    HikingDad just put together an awesome tutorial for a bridge.
    Check it out-
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83032

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by easttex View Post
    HikingDad just put together an awesome tutorial for a bridge.
    Check it out-
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83032

True to that!!..very good video
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I watched it last night. Great video! Thank you.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    in my experiance, the bridge hammock looks alot more complicated than it really is. If you use strap webbing as the support member, (on the sides) its pretty easy sew. (you can use amsteel on the sides of the bridge, but its alot harder to sew in my experiance--but it is lighter...............) Also, there are 2 ways to mark the curves on the side of the hammock---you can use all kinds of math forumlas (most which are way over my head ) Or you can just take a tent pole, and flex it into position while you mark the curve. (and from what I've read, the results are pretty much the same)
    The other thing I ran into was, I made a bridge using the same tablecloth material the tablecloth hammocks are made out of (taffeta) It looked great, but after a little use, I noticed some strain along the stitches on the sides---I suspect that with continued use, the seam would fail (maybe due to my weight and the thread count of the material?) So, I used ripstop instead with no problems.
    You can make the spreader bar fittings warbonnet style---with some aluminum bar from homedepot, a drill, a file and a hacksaw. It takes a little time, but its not hard! In summary, a bridge is actually pretty easy---you can do this! (PM me if you need help!)
    Last edited by stevebo; 11-14-2013 at 12:31.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    One more thing, ck out this link and see how he does the end caps---I've tried this and it works great! (you can also do it in triangle shape for easier sewing--I did my last bridge this way! ) https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ge+gulf&page=3
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    in my experiance, the bridge hammock looks alot more complicated than it really is. If you use strap webbing as the support member, (on the sides) its pretty easy sew. (you can use amsteel on the sides of the bridge, but its alot harder to sew in my experiance--but it is lighter...............) Also, there are 2 ways to mark the curves on the side of the hammock---you can use all kinds of math forumlas (most which are way over my head ) Or you can just take a tent pole, and flex it into position while you mark the curve. (and from what I've read, the results are pretty much the same)
    The other thing I ran into was, I made a bridge using the same tablecloth material the tablecloth hammocks are made out of (taffeta) It looked great, but after a little use, I noticed some strain along the stitches on the sides---I suspect that with continued use, the seam would fail (maybe due to my weight and the thread count of the material?) So, I used ripstop instead with no problems.
    You can make the spreader bar fittings warbonnet style---with some aluminum bar from homedepot, a drill, a file and a hacksaw. It takes a little time, but its not hard! In summary, a bridge is actually pretty easy---you can do this! (PM me if you need help!)
    Thank you for the tips. i plan to start working on it this weekend. I have never layed in one and am curious how it will be. This diy thing is just way too fun! I could never afford to buy all this stuff and by making it myself I know how it all works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast